Denon AVR-5308CI AV Receiver Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
As a reviewer bent on dissecting any important feature and function contained in Denon's new flagship AVR-5803CI receiver I had my work cut out for me. It didn't take long to realize that the best way to conduct this review would be to follow the same steps anyone would take when deciding how best to integrate this product into their listening room. The AVR-5308CI shares nearly all of the same features found on Denon's $7500 AVP-A1HDCI flagship processor. While it lacks the balanced circuitry design, class A audio drivers and several other upgrades which did actually show some measureable results, the AVR-5308CI sells for about $2,000 less than this preamp and has seven respectable built in power amplifiers, I’d say it makes it quite a bargain.

Discuss "Denon AVR-5308CI AV Receiver Review" here. Read the article.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm sure the review will be great.

But Gene says the 5805 is better built (better components & implimentations) than the 5308?

Hmmmm......

I'll have to save up for the AVP-A1HDCI + POA-A1HDCI for sure then.:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
As a reviewer bent on dissecting any important feature and function contained in Denon's new flagship AVR-5803CI receiver I had my work cut out for me. It didn't take long to realize that the best way to conduct this review would be to follow the same steps anyone would take when deciding how best to integrate this product into their listening room. The AVR-5308CI shares nearly all of the same features found on Denon's $7500 AVP-A1HDCI flagship processor. While it lacks the balanced circuitry design, class A audio drivers and several other upgrades which did actually show some measureable results, the AVR-5308CI sells for about $2,000 less than this preamp and has seven respectable built in power amplifiers, I’d say it makes it quite a bargain.

Discuss "Denon AVR-5308CI AV Receiver Review" here. Read the article.
You mean it doesn't get hot enough to make espresso? That is too bad;):D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
But Gene says the 5805 is better built (better components & implimentations) than the 5308?
It's not really fair to compare as the 5805 was really a one boxed separates solution where as the 5308 is a flagship receiver. That being said the 5308 is still one of the best in its class from our testing.

G

giac

Audiophyte
I have a 3808CI and initially had the same issue with 30 sec screen blanking on Net/USB source, but found a way to disable it. I'm not at home so I'm going off the manual/pdf I downloaded...and believe it's in Manual Setup menu, then Option Setup, then GUI, then Net/USB then set on-screen display to Always. Again, this is with the 3808CI, but I assume you can do the same on the 5308.

M

Mkellyvich

Audiophyte
Good review - I like the setup-to-listening format. One comment - don't beat up manufacturers too much for the composite and s-video connections. I have a 5805 and use the s-video connections for Zone 3 and the composite connections for a small monitor to display on-screen menus from the receiver and content menus from an Escient changer controller. Although nobody is likely to buy these receivers and use s-video or composite for their primary display, they do add significant flexibility for multizone and projector setups.

Cheers,

Mike

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
The video processing capabilities on this receiver are incredible.
I believe this, the video processing, is what separates this receiver from the competition, be it another receiver or a separate processor.
Also the ability to setup each input with it's own video parameters, very cool,
and of course the amazing new GUI, makes everything else look dated.
Then you can throw in the 6-HDMI inputs, the 2-HDMI outputs and on it goes:)
Great review and great job Denon!

geoh

N

ned

Full Audioholic
With 09 models around the corner and some lower end are available already it maybe wise to wait for 5309.

S

shamus

Junior Audioholic
Clint, thanks for the review!

Did you happen to notice any pixel cropping? Mine takes off a couple pixels on the right and top via HDMI (even when set to passthrough).

Also, in case you weren't aware, you can actually use the 3rd sub out as a dedicated transducer channel (the review makes it seem like you have to set the the subs to 3, when it can be set to 1 or 2). There's even a setting for it buried in the menu that allows for crossover and volume.

Thanks again!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I know I'm being a little picky here, but I'm a little disappointed in the specs of the 5308.

The most important thing to me in a receiver is the Audio, with the Video being second.

It seems like the audio specs on the Yamaha Z11 is better than the 5308.

Z11:
172wpc (2Ch 8 ohms), 256wpc (2Ch 4 ohms), THD 0.003%, Output Impedance 0.08 ohms, Crosstalk -90dB (1kHz) & -80dB (20kHz).

5308:
SNR 150wpc (2ch 8 ohms), 220wpc (2Ch 4 ohms), THD 0.003%, Output Impedance 0.1 ohms, Crosstalk -80dB (1 kHz) & -67dB (20kHz).

AVP-A1HD: THD 0.0002%, Crosstalk -108dB (1kHz) & -85dB (20kHz).

Last edited:
N

ned

Full Audioholic
I'm not sure if those translate into any audible significance. Most receivers are pretty anemic when it comes to amp department anyway. A dedicated amp would be great.

Just a quick question...does it allow for color space and format adjustment?
Color Space can be configured globally as can the RGB range. Format (by this do you mean resolution?) can be set per input. In addition, resolution can differ between the analogue (YPbPr) and HDMI outputs.

Also, in case you weren't aware, you can actually use the 3rd sub out as a dedicated transducer channel (the review makes it seem like you have to set the the subs to 3, when it can be set to 1 or 2). There's even a setting for it buried in the menu that allows for crossover and volume.
The only way we knew to get LFE from the third output was to engage the one of the 3-Sub modes. We don't recommend the L/R/LFE mode because the third output only takes LFE, and actually excludes LFE from the other two sub channels.

Did you happen to notice any pixel cropping? Mine takes off a couple pixels on the right and top via HDMI (even when set to passthrough).
I've got absolutely no pixel cropping when using pass-through or when converting from 480i to 1080p.

With 09 models around the corner and some lower end are available already it maybe wise to wait for 5309.
Why not wait for the 5310 or 5311? lol

Well, I know I'm being a little picky here, but I'm a little disappointed in the specs of the 5308.
Fair enough, but we've often found that 1) your room will really determine, among other things, whether these are actually audible differences. 2) Most of the people who get hung up on these specs would never actually buy a receiver at this price level to begin with (present company excluded of course - I'm guessing you're actually in the market from your comments)

Most receivers are pretty anemic when it comes to amp department anyway.
Wow. That's news to us!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
So when is the giveaway contest for this bad boy?

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
I owned the 5805MKII for several years and thought it to be the best functioning, the best performing, and best sounding, unit I've ever owned (and I've owned just about everything out there, including many separate processors, Anthem D2, Lexicon MC-12, etc...).
I decided to give the 5308 a try but kept my 5805 around just in case...
In my system with my speakers (DefTech Mythos ST based 7.1 system)
and in my listening room, I don't feel I gave up anything sound quality wise and gained superior video processing, very cool new GUI, internal decoding for the new hirez codecs via bitstream and Audyssey Pro.
I'm extremely pleased with the 5308 so much so that I sold my beloved 5805MKII...........

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Clints Purchase?

Clint " I found this to be the most enjoyable receiver I've ever had in my AV rack and one that I'll likely purchase for my reference system. If that's not a good enough endorsement then I'm all out of ideas."

Clint did you buy It?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis