DISH Network to go 1080p in August

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The battle for 1080p dominance of physical media verses video on demand (VOD) is joined. Satellite television provider DISH Network announced that it would begin beaming 1080p goodness from space in short order. Now we get to see how long it takes other broadcasters to scramble to put 1080p on the air.

Discuss "DISH Network to go 1080p in August" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm surprised 1080p from satellite providers has come this quickly. Hopefully it won't be too long before all HD content is sent in 1080p, not just VOD.

K

KaosAD

Audiophyte
Actually DirecTV announced their 1080p news July 28th. Don't rely on anything Swanni says, he rips news from other sites and tries to make it sound like he has the inside scoop. Grr, still can't post links.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I like your username... I just listened to Sepultura's Chaos AD album yesterday :D

K

KaosAD

Audiophyte
Thanks, I too like Sepultura but I've had my nick since about '87 from a BBS I ran. I'll date myself, my BBS ran on 1200 baud.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
nice... I used to be on BBSs all the time, on my 2400 baud modem, Tandy 1000 TX 8 mhz. 286.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
A little misleading that 1080p over Dish will be BluRay quality.

A

acacia987

Junior Audioholic
is it even possible for cable companies like Comcast to push 1080p over there current network?

there already compressing the hell out of there 720p material.

A

autoboy

Audioholic
Edit: Sorry, my last post was confusing.

What I meant to say was that the bandwidth of 1080i/60 vs 1080p/30 or 1080p/24 is irrelevant. The source is shot in either film at 1080p/24 or video at 1080i/60. It is then wrapped in a broadcast format of 1080i/60 (like most HDTV) or 1080p/24 (like BluRay) or 1080p/30 (actually never heard of anyone using this one but it is possible). The codecs that are used are smart enough to recognize a duplicate frame without any extra bandwidth required. Film material wrapped in a 1080i/60 wrapper is actually the same exact material as it was before it was wrapped in 1080i/60 except that the TV or STB has to perform 3:2 pulldown and deinterlace the film from its wrapper. If the same 1080p/24 film content is wrapped in both 1080p/24 and 1080i/60 at the same bitrate, then when properly deinterlaced, the quality of both is the same.

Broadcasting in 1080p format simply takes out the deinterlacing step and makes it easier to get a better picture on cheap hardware.

This is totally different than what you typically see at home on a HDMI connection. At home on your BluRay player, you are sending raw picture information and the framerate is typically left at 60 frames per second (if you are in the US). So, 1080i/60 takes less HDMI bandwidth than 1080p/60 because there are twice the frames in 1080p/60. You are broadcasting the raw picture information without the help of the compression of a codec. Lots of frames are duplicated if you are watching a 1080p/24 film movie. If you are cool, you can set your BluRay player to 1080p/24 and the bandwidth on the HDMI cable is even less than 1080i/60 because there are less than half the frames broadcast.

Last edited:
J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
Thanks, I too like Sepultura but I've had my nick since about '87 from a BBS I ran. I'll date myself, my BBS ran on 1200 baud.
BBS? Did someone mention BBS? Wow, I ran a BBS back in high school on a 1200 baud modem, too! Small world... Or... Something...

Anyway, it seems pretty hard to believe that there will be some decent quality video even if it is encoded at 1080p. You can still compress the heck out of it with a higher res output...

Wow, look how much smoother the edges of those big squares are; must be 1080p!!! :p

A

autoboy

Audioholic
The new mpeg4 codecs handle compression artifacts better than mpeg2 did. Comcast cable since it is mpeg2 can turn into a complete mess. Still, I'd favor 720p at high bitrate with some good bitrates for DD5.1 sound. There is nothing worse than compression artifacts during motion. I would take a softer image over that any day.

B

B5I8

Audioholic
I want to know what good is a broadcast in 1080p when the box doesn't output in 1080p. I have the ViP-722 which only outputs up to 1080i.

K

KaosAD

Audiophyte
All that is needed is a firmware update. This has already been confirmed by both Dish and Directv. There's tons more info at another site, hope I don't get in trouble for this, Satelliteguys.us. They deal with sat. co. news as well as cable and fios.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
More marketing hype.

None of their broadcast material is close to the resolution advertised.

It seems some stations are better than others but some are just terrible.

SD is the worst on some stations. I can not even watch it any more.

Some stations touting HD look terrible too. Between the stretching and the clipping, most of it does not look as good as a quality DVD at 480p.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
nice... I used to be on BBSs all the time, on my 2400 baud modem, Tandy 1000 TX 8 mhz. 286.
lol. CompuServe BBS... AST Laptop... 386... 9600 baud.. smoking fast. lol.

All it would need is a firmware for 1080p?? Interesting... I'm liking DN better every day.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
early baud rates

Better than 110 Baud at 10 cps with two stop characters or 300 baud with and acoustic coupler :D

I think the turbo HD DishNetwork will be graet but right now my Vizio LCD only accepts 1080i and with the DishNetwork 722 the PQ is great!. Yes, Yes I will upgrade to 1080p soon ;)

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Be thankful you at least have a choice. In an NYC apartment you cannot have a dish. Even though we have a balcony (that amazingly faces SE), we cannot put a dish up... so I'm stuck with Time Warner Cable. Stop me before I throw myself out the window

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
DishNetwork receivers will support 1080p if their HD channels are 1080p

I want to know what good is a broadcast in 1080p when the box doesn't output in 1080p. I have the ViP-722 which only outputs up to 1080i.
I have the same thing and guess what when DishNetwork unleases turbo HD they will come out with one of two things:

(1) a software/firmware upgrade for the 722 that supports 1080p

(2) a newer replacement box, maybe the 822 ;) that supports 1080p

majorloser

majorloser

I have the older ViP622 DVR. I received something the other day that says we'll get a firmware update. My only problem is that I don't have the receiver hooked up to my network. Only phone and satelite coax.

I really don't need the 1080p right now since my projector is only 720p native.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis