Prepping for the Olympics

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
No matter where you live, you're probably getting excited about the looming 2008 Olympic games scheduled to start on August 8th. This year we're going to have unparalleled access to the games with NBC Universal offering over 3600 hours of coverage (2200 of which will be online at NBCOlympics.com). The coverage will be broadcasted on the seven NBC Universal networks plus a few channels dedicated solely to soccer and basketball.

Discuss "Prepping for the Olympics" here. Read the article.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
yawn

Oh... the olympics...its only once every 4 years. Still.. not worth getting excited for. Anyone remeber that we are still at war? in two countries? Our economy is shot and unemployment is rising?

No? oh yah! it's the olympics! Wake me when it's over.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
It should be fun to watch all the athletes trying to perform while wearing masks to protect them from the toxic Beijing air.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
It should be fun to watch all the athletes trying to perform while wearing masks to protect them from the toxic Beijing air.
For the sake of the atheletes I hope the air quality stays as clean as possible throughout the games. I hate the politics and the ridiculous pompousness that surround the olympics, but the the amount of heart and training that the atheletes put in over 4 years just to have a chance to compete over a 2 week period shouldn't be destroyed b/c Beijing can't get its act together and clean up their city.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not going to leave my house when the Winter Olympics start.

SheepStar

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I'm pumped about the Olympics....can't wait.

Mark

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not excited at all, yet, but I know that I'll enjoy watching some of the events once they are on TV. I've always enjoyed the gymnastics, although I still have trouble watching the girls on the balance beam - just too much stress, as they seem to fall off so much.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I am looking forward to the olympics! Can't wait!

I'm looking forward to the political fall-out of China pretending it's not Communist while everyone is there. It's about the most uncomfortable thing their country has had to go through in the past 100 years. There's already talk about them putting pressure on journalists. That and the allegations of electronic spying via the hotels and the national Internet system.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That and the allegations of electronic spying via the hotels and the national Internet system.
I have zero doubt that they are doing that. I also have no doubt that they aren't the only country that does it, including our own.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I does not bother me at all that the olympics are held in China or any other country that has different political ideals than ours (different time and place for that). When I heard some athletes were boycotting the olympics I thought that was rediculous IMO. I could care less about the politics of the games, I am just interested in watching the best athletes from all around the world. Looking forward to watching the games in high definition. I will be rooting for my country of course:)!

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

I does not bother me at all that the olympics are held in China or any other country that has different political ideals than ours (different time and place for that). When I heard some athletes were boycotting the olympics I thought that was rediculous IMO.
Very good point. Had Jesse Owens made the same decision back in 1936 he never would have been able to show up Hitler in his own backyard!!

When it comes to the Olympics the elite athletes should have one thing on their mind and that is to win. If they really want to get their message across then they should use the popularity that comes with winning to make their statements. I believe there was a speedskater in the last winter olympics who not only gave his entire gold medal winnings (~$35K) to a cause that he cared about but then challenged all of his sponsors to at least match this total. Definitely a much more effective way to exact change than to sit at home.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I believe there was a speedskater in the last winter olympics who not only gave his entire gold medal winnings (~$35K) to a cause that he cared about but then challenged all of his sponsors to at least match this total. Definitely a much more effective way to exact change than to sit at home.
Yep, Joey Cheek. You've got an excellent memory!

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Yep, Joey Cheek. You've got an excellent memory!
It's because I smoked a lot of pot in college :D

Seriously though... isn't that a better way to attract more interest in Darfur rather than having 5 athletes boycott the games???

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I does not bother me at all that the olympics are held in China or any other country that has different political ideals than ours (different time and place for that). When I heard some athletes were boycotting the olympics I thought that was rediculous IMO. I could care less about the politics of the games, I am just interested in watching the best athletes from all around the world. Looking forward to watching the games in high definition. I will be rooting for my country of course:)!
You might want to let everyone know you're Canadian, so you don't get lynched.

SheepStar

B

Buckeye_Nut

I have no interest in the communist games.....

I'll DVR the gymnastics stuff for my daughter(she's a gymnast).....but other than that.....I'll take a pass. It's all fluff these days anyway..........

gokou777

gokou777

Audioholic Intern
Go Olympic.

A lot of pretty woman at the performance.

Go Olympic.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Some cool things from the openining ceremony.

1) Camera shots of the outside of the olympic stadium and surrounding area. All the lights.

2) 2008 drummers, drumming in unison

3) The fireworks....omg...the best fireworks display ever...so cool.

Watching it in HD with DD 5.1 + PLII matrix made the opening ceremony very enjoyable for me.

If I didnt have HD I do not think I could have watched it all.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Some cool things from the openining ceremony.
3) The fireworks....omg...the best fireworks display ever...so cool.
I take that back! Apparently they faked it. They did a mix of real fireworks and digital effects:mad:.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I take that back! Apparently they faked it. They did a mix of real fireworks and digital effects:mad:.
And, now they lip synced an important song? The singer was not good looking enough for prime time TV?:mad:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis