BenQ W5000 DLP Projector Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you think you're having a hard time deciding which projector is the best, think about my job... I actually get to see, use, and calibrate most of them and yet I still have a hard time determining which is "best". Let me tell you that I do NOT envy the job manufacturers of projectors have these days. The market is ripe with bargains and price points are all but written in stone, with very clear distinctions between $1000, $2500, and $5000 models - all of which are competing for consumers' wallets. BenQ is clearly going after the custom installer market with its new W5000 DLP projector and that's good - because it gives them some leeway that wouldn't be granted for those pursuing consumers directly.

Discuss "BenQ W5000 DLP Projector Review" here. Read the article.

F

f300v10

Enthusiast
Nice review of the W5000. Having read many of your projector reviews I have noticed you sometimes publish contrast numbers, and sometimes not. Any chance you could post CR measurements on the W5000?

Also, some other reviews have indicated the W5000 suffers from an image noise problem on HD sources. As you pointed out, the noise reduction menu on the W5000 does not function on HD resolution sources. Owners of the W5000 have differing views on this issue, some claim the 'noise' is just film grain that the sharpness of the W5000 reveals. Your review did not mention any noise problems, so I was wondering if you noticed this issue?

F

f300v10

Enthusiast
Also, what version of the firmware was your sample using? With version 1.08 the overscan cannot be set to zero. With versions 1.12 or 1.21, it can be.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I've gotta say that I've had horrible luck with BenQ when I purchased a W10000 for a client. The projector has now been replaced 4 (or 5?) times with a different issue every time. This includes the color wheel exploding, the projector comletely dying, and then the PS3 not being recognized via HDMI.

I also don't know if BenQ has addressed the issue of the projector not having discrete power on/off commands for use with even the most basic of universal remotes. I know the W10000 did not have this, so it was very inconsistent handling projector power.

The serial port, unless things have changed, works okay, but once again, discrete power control for the projector doesn't exist! That's right, despite the full ability to have it report status, and provide true two-way control of the projector, BenQ's engineers simply didn't include it and even skipped over basic discrete functionality.

Lastly, there are two things that bug me about the review in particular.

1. Why not discuss lens shift? People talk all the time about zom range, and say things like "You get a 100" digaonal from 10 to 12.5 feet", but then they don't say, "You have zero lens shift" or "vertical lens shift only allows you to put the projector as high as the top edge of the screen".

Since this projector has a limited zoom range, the lens shift becomes that much more important for room placement. If you can't get the projector above the top of the screen then it may interfere with rooms with high ceilings or with tiered seating.

2. Ergonimcs or Ease Of Setup? Which one does the zoom range and lens shift fall into and why did both of these get five stars when the competing LCD models at that price offer 1.6-2.0:1 zoom range and often have lens shift which exceeds screen height? This projector may offer many settings after you get it out of the box, and may offer a lot to affect image quality in a good way, but it is NOT secondary when you can't get the projector into your room in the first place! I think it's a huge drawback to this projector, but I do realize that it is a huge perk over the non-lens shift Optomas which may come in at a similar price. There's just no way that it is deserving of more than 3 stars in one of those sections based upon the far less than average setup capabilities for placement. Really, it would be 2 stars which can be brought up by some other features IMO.

Just things that are worth pointing out. Oh, and the current BenQ, which did have a weird power issue which seems to have gone away, looks awesome. Absolutely stunning with 1080p/24 material on BD - bright, punchy, and vibrant. I just feel like I have to keep my fingers crossed for it to keep working.

Also, what version of the firmware was your sample using? With version 1.08 the overscan cannot be set to zero. With versions 1.12 or 1.21, it can be.
From what I can tell, despite requests to the contrary I was running 1.08.

Why not discuss lens shift?
I actually did.

Which one does the zoom range and lens shift fall into and why did both of these get five stars when the competing LCD models at that price offer 1.6-2.0:1 zoom range and often have lens shift which exceeds screen height?
BenQ offers powered Zoom and lens shift. Also, no one should be buying this projector unless it fits their room and screen - and that's hardly a negative, especially when the chosen lens offers such a crisp picture. As always, reviews have a subjective element, but there's at least a solid reason for why I give the marks I do.

Your review did not mention any noise problems, so I was wondering if you noticed this issue?
I actually forgot to include this from my notes, but Lowering Detail Enhancement down to "2" or "1" (the default is "5") dramatically reduced the amount of noise in images.

F

f300v10

Enthusiast
1. Why not discuss lens shift? People talk all the time about zom range, and say things like "You get a 100" digaonal from 10 to 12.5 feet", but then they don't say, "You have zero lens shift" or "vertical lens shift only allows you to put the projector as high as the top edge of the screen".

Since this projector has a limited zoom range, the lens shift becomes that much more important for room placement. If you can't get the projector above the top of the screen then it may interfere with rooms with high ceilings or with tiered seating.
Actually the W5000 can be 20% of screen height above the top of the screen, the lens shift is +120/-80.

F

f300v10

Enthusiast
I actually forgot to include this from my notes, but Lowering Detail Enhancement down to "2" or "1" (the default is "5") dramatically reduced the amount of noise in images.
Clint, did the lower value result in any visible loss in picture sharpness or detail?

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Nice review.

What was the actual lumens output once the projector was properly calibrated?

At $5000, I'd expect the lens to be interchangable. So I could add a short throw, long throw, or just a different lens. There are a few really good lens companies out there.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Generally DLP machines tend to offer less zoom than an LCD however w5000 seems to be in the lower end.

Clint, did the lower value result in any visible loss in picture sharpness or detail?
That's going to be subjective, but I'd say no "real" definition was lost. It certainly didn't blur the picture. It just got rid of the noise issue. Some people will want more detail enhancement, but I felt it detracted from the image.

F

f300v10

Enthusiast
Thanks Clint, I have shared your findings over at AVS to see if some reporting noise problems see a similar improvement.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but did you take any On/Off CR measurements of the W5000? A few users have posted values that range between 3500 and 5000, but I have yet to see measurements from a professional reviewer.

F

f300v10

Enthusiast
You can safetly ignore that guy. He is 'ISF' certified and think he knows all about calibration and projectors in general. Yet he then buys a projector (W5000) designed to use a dynamic iris, and then turns it off because he 'likes a true gama curve'. What good is a great gama curve if your stuck with a contrast ratio of 1000:1 instead of 4000:1.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
You can safetly ignore that guy. He is 'ISF' certified and think he knows all about calibration and projectors in general. Yet he then buys a projector (W5000) designed to use a dynamic iris, and then turns it off because he 'likes a true gama curve'. What good is a great gama curve if your stuck with a contrast ratio of 1000:1 instead of 4000:1.
Did you get the w5000? How is it working for you?

A few users have posted values that range between 3500 and 5000, but I have yet to see measurements from a professional reviewer.
You won't see any more from me until I feel that I can begin a method I am happy with that is consistent and reliable. So far no dice. To just post a number is not good enough for me.

Clint, someone at AVS is critical about your review
No way - that almost NEVER happens! :)

C

ctac

Audiophyte
Thanks Clint, I was between Epson 1080UB and the BenQ, and your review tipped the balance towards the BenQ. Two questions:

1. I have been trying to do research on the screens, but not very successfully. Considering 120" screens run anywhere from $100 to $1000 (I am ok with manual pulldown), can you recommend a good value screen? I was looking at Elite Screens one from $130 on Amazon, but now having second thoughts.

2. Calibration per your review is required. Other reviews of this Benq, even more critical ones, suggest its pretty good out of the box. Is professional calibration necessary? AVICAL Quoted me $420 and I think its rather steep. Anyone you can recommend in NYC area?

Thanks,

Stan

I prefer fixed screens and use a Carada screen in my own theater room.

For those who aren't trained it looks fine out of the box, however calibration did help. I would think that $420 is a lot to cough up, however, unless you're a real aficionado.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Clint - I read through but somehow missed it. Good info that the lens shift is different from top range to bottom range! Makes more sense to invert it if you are going high vs. shelf mounting right side up.

BenQ offers powered Zoom and lens shift. Also, no one should be buying this projector unless it fits their room and screen - and that's hardly a negative, especially when the chosen lens offers such a crisp picture. As always, reviews have a subjective element, but there's at least a solid reason for why I give the marks I do.
I'm simply saying that the lack of setup flexibility is huge on this projector and should be scored accordingly within the appropriate section. Claims of a very sharp lens doesn't affect installation flexibility. SImilarly, motorizing elements is great, but when the competition offers far MORE flexibility, this projector sure as heck isn't 'nearly' perfect in that regard. Lens shift is, at best average, and zoom is below average. I'm not sure how that works out to 'nearly perfect' when scoring it. But, yes, it is subjective - and that is why I wanted to point out that it seems inconsistent based upon similarly priced competition out there and people shouldn't take a nearly perfect score in all categories to mean that it offers anywhere near the placement options that the AE2000, 1080UB, or Z2000 projector's offer which may have received similar scores.

C

ctac

Audiophyte
I prefer fixed screens and use a Carada screen in my own theater room.
Thanks Clint.
Do you recommend a particular gain screen? The one I was looking at has 1.1 gain, but considering the throw for a 120" screen will need to be 16+ feet, do I need a higher gain? Also, is grey vs white screen consideration relevant in this case?

Stan

F

f300v10

Enthusiast
Did you get the w5000? How is it working for you?
Ned, I did not have the W5000 at the time of my posting, but I have had one now for a week. I paired it with a Panamorph UH380 anamorphic lens, a 108"x45.5" 2.37:1 screen and 1080P from BluRay and HD-DVD. The image is amazing. Extremely sharp, great colors and very good black level. I have it on low lamp, and the manual iris at 0 (max closed), and the image is still plenty bright. I have not had an issue with image noise that some of the reviews complain about. Yes, there is some noise on some disks, but it is in the source. I don't think you will find a better 1080P projector for the $2k street price of the W5000.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis