Sony at E3 - Our Future Is So Bright...

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We Promise to Have Games. Sony's 90 minute press conference was full of talk about their technology. They bragged about crushing HD DVD and they had many testimonials about how much more powerful the PS3 is compared to the competition. But the real question is - what's in store for PS3 owners?

Discuss "Sony at E3 - Our Future Is So Bright..." here. Read the article.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
No big surprises here. They have some good games coming out but nothing steps beyond anything MS is doing considering their touted uber cell processor. PS3 appears to me right now like a fish flapping on the shore of a beach.

Last edited:
G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
If you watch both the Sony and MS keynote you see that most of the hyped 360 games out this year are all sequels. I didn't even see one totally new IP in that whole presentation other than the stuff from Square which most Americans don't even care for. Even though PS3 will have some sequels coming out, stuff like Little Big Planet, MAG, and DC online are all new IP's.

A

acacia987

Junior Audioholic
MAG will not be released till the end of 09...(probably later). So, with it being an amazing/semi new game, it will be a long time till we see it. I would say on the whole, E3 was kinda disappointing For me and my taste in games.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I agree, competition is needed in this industry.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I wish Sega was still making consoles. The Sega Dreamcast was the ****! Great console and even better games. The dreamcast put out some excellent titles during its short life span. Its sad that they got rolled over when the PS2 got released and when Microsoft decided to take their piece in the console market. Too bad Sega did hot have the ability to compete with them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The one game that I think surprised me was Mirror's Edge. I had only seen pictures of it, but that game looks pretty interesting and the graphics were pretty decent. Also, Killzone 2's graphics looked pretty impressive. The one that looks a little disappointing was Prince of Persia. The movements look good, but the "Viewtiful Joe" / "Okami" like look wasn't quite working for me. Resistance 2 looks good and so does RE5. I am still not quite sold on Motorstorm Pacific Rift.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
If you watch both the Sony and MS keynote you see that most of the hyped 360 games out this year are all sequels. I didn't even see one totally new IP in that whole presentation other than the stuff from Square which most Americans don't even care for. Even though PS3 will have some sequels coming out, stuff like Little Big Planet, MAG, and DC online are all new IP's.
You make a good point. There are some new games coming for the Xbox but they didn't make it into the presentation. I'm really interested in Champions Online personally. It is sort of the nature of the beast though. It is hard to get the limelight unless you really have something cool like Little Big Planet. Plus, people are more interested in hearing about sequels so it very well could be that in a year or two the Sony presentation is going to sound remarkably similar.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
The one game that I think surprised me was Mirror's Edge. I had only seen pictures of it, but that game looks pretty interesting and the graphics were pretty decent. Also, Killzone 2's graphics looked pretty impressive. The one that looks a little disappointing was Prince of Persia. The movements look good, but the "Viewtiful Joe" / "Okami" like look wasn't quite working for me. Resistance 2 looks good and so does RE5. I am still not quite sold on Motorstorm Pacific Rift.
Agreed on all counts. Mirror's Edge looks completely sweet. Hopefully it will be.

I completely missed out on the cell shaded fad so PoP looks interesting to me. Champions and DC are both looking to use a similar technique as well. There isn't a chance I'm NOT going to buy RE5. I haven't played a RE game since 2 and I just LOVED that game.

A

Austin M

Enthusiast
Is long term viable in this business?

This ten year plan sounds great from an accounting point of view, but what happens when Microsoft comes out with a new Xbox in two years time and Sony is staring at 6 more years of life? You know Microsoft is working on a replacement just so they can put the three red lights fiasco of the current console behind them. This time they won't be so pressed to deliver it before they iron-out all the bugs.

On the other hand, all of the money they continue to make from PS2 at 9 years of age can't be ignored. Do we look at this as financial success, or is it more like the life-jacket that is keeping Sony afloat?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I said this before, but I think the 10yr plan is OK for the PS3 because developers will still take a few years to fully tap the capabilities, and the cell processor is powerful enough that they can still add new capability to the PS3 for at least that long. I also think that what we've seen in terms of early complaints with the PS3 ("no games", slower network, etc...) will in turn be the large mountain that Microsoft will face when they release a new system to go up against a PS3 that will have been entrenched in the market for a few years (not just 1 yr) and has a lot of proven support and games. At first I though it was an odd idea to release a year after the 360, but now looking at it and long term strategy, I think it was actually really smart. Lose a few battles early but turn the tide of the war is a very good plan IMO.

Last edited:
A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
The 10-year plan doesn't mean they won't come out with a new console...it just means they'll support it for 10 years. Like they're doing now for PS2.

This year definitely looks brighter for Sony, and they seemed to have at least admitted they've made some big mistakes. They're still a bit arrogant with Blu-ray, but it's not as bad as past years as they realize gamers don't automatically flock to the Playstation brand.

They still have a lot of work to do though. Playstation network still sucks and games worth playing are still few and far between. Hopefully this year the third party games will run at least as well on the PS3 as they do the 360 (um, EA??).

Little Big Planet looks cool, and i can't wait for God of War 3. And they appear to have a much stronger lineup than last year going into the holiday season. Now if they just dropped to ~$350...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis