Pioneer Kuro LCD... Oxymoron?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you go to the Pioneer website and look up Kuro, they talk about one thing - black levels. Pioneer has recently announced that Kuro LCDs will begin shipping in the UK in August with a US release expected to follow. They are starting off with the 32-inch KRL-32V, 37-inch KRL-37V and 46-inch KRL-46V. The 32 and 37 inch displays will be shipping in August though the 46's shipping date has not been announced. We knew that Pioneer was phasing out their plasmas and starting to source LCDs from Sharp, but we didn't know they'd continue the Kuro line.

Discuss "Pioneer Kuro LCD... Oxymoron?" here. Read the article.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Interesting....

although I am more of a plasma fan, I just feel that in time those lines between plasma and lcd will become more and more blurred. I look forward to the day that LCD matches the quality of plasma...

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Interesting....

although I am more of a plasma fan, I just feel that in time those lines between plasma and lcd will become more and more blurred. I look forward to the day that LCD matches the quality of plasma...
I agree. I am a plasma fan too but as Warpdrv stated, their performance differences seem to be diminishing exponentially. The only thing I am very skeptical about is advertised refresh rates. They are a LOT like contrast ratio numbers. They seem to be pulled out of thin air and have no basis in reality.

C

Carlton Bale

Audiophyte
Just because Pioneer is outsourcing their plasma manufacturing doesn't mean they are phasing out their plasma line. I think you're jumping to conclusions and need to do a better job of separating speculation from fact.

Outsourcing from a small and inefficient plant to a larger and more efficient plant is a very common form of cost reduction. The new plant will be using patented Pioneer technology to produce amazing black levels, just as it was with the Pioneer plant.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Perhaps the Kuro LCD is analogous to the hybrid SUV!?:p:rolleyes:

H

hodedofome

Audioholic Intern
Have ya'll seen the new Samsung LCD's? They are pretty black. Not quite as black as Kuro plasmas, but better than the Panasonic plasmas I've seen and definitely better than any other LCD out there. I think Pioneer can get pretty close to the first generation Kuros, now the second gen I'm not so sure about...

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I was wondering what the Japanese word for charcoal is. Wouldn't that be a better name than Kuro for their LCDs?

Jim

T

tsteves

Junior Audioholic
Carlton Bale
"Just because Pioneer is outsourcing their plasma manufacturing doesn't mean they are phasing out their plasma line"

It seems like an obsession among some in the audioholics realm to declare plasma is dead at every possible opportunity. It's a bit annoying, and certainly seems a bit like like biased reporting. Panasonic working on OLED probably means that plasma will stick around until OLED can compete with LCD.

hodedofome
"Have ya'll seen the new Samsung LCD's? They are pretty black. Not quite as black as Kuro plasmas, but better than the Panasonic plasmas I've seen"

Very funny!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis