Samsung LN52A750 LCD TV Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Rarely do I come across a display that performs as well as the Samsung LN52A750. At the $3500 asking price, it should perform well. But even a cursory search of the Internet will show you that this unit can be had for a significant discount (as low as $2700 as of the time of publication). The styling cues are dead on - that "Touch of Color" is just enough to make it stand out without being gaudy. The panel is thin enough to be ahead of the curve. But the picture… out of the box I was very impressed. Feature-rich, performance trendsetting, the LN52A750 is an LCD you could spend the rest of your life with.

Discuss "Samsung LN52A750 LCD TV Review" here. Read the article.

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
Most people do not calibrate their sets. How far off was Samsung on the gray scale and color temp before calibration? I have heard that their sets, although extremely bright and attractive in stores, are the furthest away from "standard accuracy" compared to the majority of other manufacturers?

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Looks like a nice tv. good review.

Questions:
1. Did you test out the DLNA feature using the Ethernet port? What speed does that port run at? 100mb/s, 1000mb/s?
2. Is there a maximum resolution the TV can handle coming from the Ethernet port via DLNA?

Thanks.

Reorx

I

Iamhoosier

Audiophyte
What about screen reflections?

A superior picture is wasted if window light and/or lamps are reflected on the screen. I can't be the only person whose TV is in the family room, which means, say, myself watching "the"game in my recliner and my wife sitting on the sofa reading a book. Or I'm reading the newspaper in the morning and watching the news. Watching a DVD, sure, turn the lights out, close the blinds or curtains but life goes on in our household the rest of the time.

annunaki

annunaki

I am interested to know what the reference display used is? What was it up against? No black level measurements? The review is great at pointing out how good the factory Movie setting is but I want more details :)

H

hodedofome

Audioholic Intern
How are the black levels compared to the current king Kuros? I know the newer Samsungs have been very color accurate and the LED lit LCD's have shown dramatic improvements in black levels, just wondering if they've equaled the Kuros yet.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
How are the black levels compared to the current king Kuros? I know the newer Samsungs have been very color accurate and the LED lit LCD's have shown dramatic improvements in black levels, just wondering if they've equaled the Kuros yet.

dont think so, or the levels of the Pannys.;)

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
anyone know why manufacturers are going away from dual antenna inputs to only one? this tv has both atsc and qam tuners but the ability to use only one or the other.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Thanks for the review; more ammo to get the DLP replaced :D

D

drpiranha

Enthusiast
My son is planning on ordering a 52" Samsung LCD this week.
He has been going back and forth between wanting the 650 or 750.
At Amazon there is less than a $50 difference between the 2, so cost is obviously not an issue.

He would like the 750 because of the added sub woofer. However, he has heard complaints of a halo problem with the 750 (because the bezel goes all the around the set and light leaks through the top). This is not present on the 650.

Apparently, this is noticeable only if the room is totally dark, but this is how he watches his movies and plays video games, so it is a major concern to him.

Some people have fixed the problem by using electrical tape or adding a light source. He doesn't want to do either of these, so right now he is favoring the 650, unless he hears of some type of fix from Samsung in the works.

S

s52e368

Full Audioholic
At Amazon there is less than a $50 difference between the 2, so cost is obviously not an issue.

He would like the 750 because of the added sub woofer. However, he has heard complaints of a halo problem with the 750 (because the bezel goes all the around the set and light leaks through the top). This is not present on the 650.

Apparently, this is noticeable only if the room is totally dark, but this is how he watches his movies and plays video games, so it is a major concern to him.

Some people have fixed the problem by using electrical tape or adding a light source. He doesn't want to do either of these, so right now he is favoring the 650, unless he hears of some type of fix from Samsung in the works.
i have the 52a750 and cant see a halo. but can at certain angles. i think its relative to perspective of the tv. which could be corrected by shimming the base with something as thin as a quarter...

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General

650's supposedly have purple "haze" issues; for the money, I'd go the 750 route. You can fix the "halo" easily, but not the "haze" :D

N

newguru

Audiophyte
650's supposedly have purple "haze" issues; for the money, I'd go the 750 route. You can fix the "halo" easily, but not the "haze" :D
What exactly is the "purple haze" issue? This is the first I have heard about that one.

Who the heck comes up with these names? LMAO

S

s52e368

Full Audioholic
What exactly is the "purple haze" issue? This is the first I have heard about that one.

i would describe it as a color cast, while in black (no input) the screens had a purple hue ..

my 750 does not.

S

s52e368

Full Audioholic

also

Differences between the LNxxA650 and LNxxA750:
750 has an integrated woofer
16-bit processor vs. 12-bit in 650 (10-bit panel in both)
750 has DLNA features (can stream audio/video/etc. over a home network)
750 can play video off of DLNA/USB flash drive. 650 limited to images/audio
750 comes with 1GB internal flash memory pre-loaded with HD pictures, games, recipes, and a few other things
750's controls on the bezel have a red backlight. 650's controls have no backlight
750 has a square bezel compared to the 650's rounded bezel
750 has a square stand compared to the 650's oval stand
750 stand does not swivel (contrary to Samsung's literature)

D

drpiranha

Enthusiast
Thanks. He went with the 750 and ordered it from Amazon last night.

D

drpiranha

Enthusiast
Yes, Thanks Carl.

We actually read the whole thread prior to making the decision.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General

Purple Haze... it's something I kinda came up with on the fly.
It remined me of the TN panels; when the whole screen was black, you move your viewing position off center axis and the screen looked purple instead of black.

I think that either panel would have been a great choice; but the 750 is so close in price to the 650, I don't know why many would choose the 650.

That's just me though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis