Samsung SP-A800B DLP Projector Overview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The new SP-A800B DLP projector from Samsung Electronics looks to be a nice addition to the 1080p DLP family, though it lacks some advanced features (like DarkChip3 or horizontal lens shift) we'd expect at its $10k price point. To squeeze out the highest quality home theater experience and color reproduction, Samsung teamed up with Joe Kane, a well-known and highly respected authority on visual imaging equipment and development. We've hung around Joe a few times - the man knows color and so we're expecting Samsung's new DLP projector to really shine in terms of its color accuracy.

Discuss "Samsung SP-A800B DLP Projector Overview" here. Read the article.

H

hodedofome

Audioholic Intern
Hope the street price is better, or the picture is just fantastic, because you can get a JVC RS2 or an Optoma HD81-LV for thousands less.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
exactly who in there right mind would pay this much for a single chip projector?
Runco buyers have been doing this for years and swearing by their decision to do so.

I'm in complete agreement though. I don't care how this product rates individually. It does NOT exist in a vacuum and if any place is to hold credibility they should take that projector and put it up against the class leaders for HD. The Epson 1080UB, the JVC RS-2, the Sonys.

I do think that DLP seems to be lacking with some lower priced top shelf models, and this is largely due to the unavailability of lower priced models with the lens shift and zoom range that the current LCD/LCoS projectors are able to deliver. DLP is really messing up with that design flaw.

Just my opinion, but if this is fully reviewed, I hope it is put into the context of the actually competition it faces, not just up against other boutique brands.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
exactly who in there right mind would pay this much for a single chip projector?
Marantz has a $17,000 projector (anamorphic lens) with only a single 0.95" DLP chip.

I think you would have to pay $30K to get a 3-Chip DLP PJ.

But I agree. Samsung is out of their minds.

A

Adam_G

Audiophyte
You need to see this PJ

Having lived with one for the last three months I am very happy with it. I compared it (side by side) with the JVC RS2 and the Marantz (last years model). The lens is very high quality and the color is spot on. The lack of verticle lens shift is disappointing, but not really a huge deal if you center the PJ. You have to add a 3K scaler to the JVC to get similar color.

T

timone

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking forward to reading more about this projector - reviews by experts, owners' experience etc. I have been doing research on the JVC and EPson units, which have very favourable reviews. Unless, the Samsung has something revolutionary and the difference it offers is night and day, there is no way I'd shell out $10K for it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis