Rotel RMB-1085 Power Amplifier Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
There are few names that are both as well known and associated with high-end as Rotel. They have a reputation for quality and power and great aesthetics. At only 100 watts, I couldn't say that the RMB-1085 was a huge improvement over the internal amps of my receiver with my 8 ohm speakers. It does have an undeniable cool factor and plenty of power if your current amplification needs are inadequate or your speakers have lower impedance and are giving your current amp/receiver trouble. If you are looking to beef up your home theater or just have a touch of the upgrade bug, the RMB-1085 is a little firecracker of an amp that might be what you've been looking for.

Discuss "Rotel RMB-1085 Power Amplifier Review" here. Read the article.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
nice to see Rotel back on the reviews.

these new Rotels have lower-model ice modules as compared to the ice modules on my 1077 (which I'm using for 2 channel listening, til i get a center channel) which is why these new ones are cheaper.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Reading that and seeing those pictures of the unit definetly just kicked Rotel down a couple notches in my book. For that price the build quality seems to be lacking. If i am spending over a grand on a single component I expect something nicer than stamped chassis. I'll be the first to admit I am not a huge fan of SMPS or these newer amplifier technologies, Its not exactly eye candy under the hood :(

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Rotel Review

Tom,
Nice review. Any chance of getting some power and distortion measurements on the Rotel amp. As you point out in your article, linearity and low distortion have been a chanlange for calss D amps in the past.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I personally don't have the equipment to measure amps. Usually, we'd try to send it down to Gene's but he's been busy with other amp and receiver measurements. I understand there there are some issues with measuring Class D amps that may put it on the it on the "we'll try but don't hold your breath" list.

N

nickt1

Audiophyte
Forget the home theatre tag

Just upgraded to a RMB1085 from a audiolab 8000p running with audiolab 8000q pre amplifier.Fast, detailed and smooth ,neutral sounding with ample power for a large room with multi speaker setup. It may not look it but this is an audiophile grade amp.
Don't know about the ice though as the amp runs warm like any other conventional amp would.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis