Samsung Meets Thomas Kinkade

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Even traditional artists are getting into the HDTV craze. Samsung announced today that it has collaborated with The Thomas Kinkade Company to develop an LCD TV that would be able to shift between artwork and TV programming at a moment’s notice. What hasn't been discussed is the most obvious fault of the system: it would presumably have to be on 24/7.

Discuss "Samsung Meets Thomas Kinkade" here. Read the article.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
New Samsung Marketing Division - M$TB

Sounds to me like Samsung has a new Marketing Division - "More $ Than Brains" going all out on this one.

J

jamie2112

Banned
lame

Well the "painter of light" will be wasting electricity as a result of this Stupid merger. I sure as heck won't be buying one. Yeah, why not just put the paintings on a disc and then you can look at the paintings when you want.

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
Sounds to me like Samsung has a new Marketing Division - "More $ Than Brains" going all out on this one.
Well the "painter of light" will be wasting electricity as a result of this Stupid merger. I sure as heck won't be buying one. Yeah, why not just put the paintings on a disc and then you can look at the paintings when you want.
Do either of you guys own art? If so, is any of it Thomas Kinkade?

Would this idea be any more appealing to you if it were a different artist?

I like his paintings, but the tv with the art on it wouldnt hold any value beyond the Tvs useful lifespan. Now an original painting, on the other hand, would be a handy item to have.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
What hasn't been discussed is the most obvious fault of the system: it would presumably have to be on 24/7.
Am I missing something? Why would it have to be on 24/7?

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Hey, maybe the guy who doesn the "Poker Playing Dogs" could get his stuff on there, too!:rolleyes:

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
It would need to be on to display the "painting".
Were you responding to me? It only needs to be on when both of these conditions are met:

1) someone is in the same room with it.
2) someone wants to use it.

Kind of like the same thing as any other TV.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Were you responding to me? It only needs to be on when both of these conditions are met:

1) someone is in the same room with it.
2) someone wants to use it.

Kind of like the same thing as any other TV.
So...it's a painting you have to turn on to "watch", otherwise it's a big black rectangle?

I just don't get the appeal.

It's either always on, or it's a gimmick in my opinion. Art doesn't shut off... If it's only intended to be on part of the time, then simply burn it to DVD or BD and be done with it... You can frame your flat panel for far cheaper.

It's the same argument I have for those photo frames (testing one now). It has to be on 24/7 or it's senseless... What do you do - turn it on when guests come over?

majorloser

majorloser

I have a couple Kinkade proof prints. They ain't cheap! I can imagine how much this thing will cost.

Wouldn't a DVD wth the artwork make more sense?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i have the LCD pic frames on auto-on and off for example:

8am to 6pm for the one at the office

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
I have a couple Kinkade proof prints. They ain't cheap! I can imagine how much this thing will cost.

Wouldn't a DVD wth the artwork make more sense?

I just love "The Light Of Peace". My wife and i bought a print of it for her dad. He collects anything that has to do with a Light Houses.

What pieces of his art do you have?

Peace,
Tommy

Last edited by a moderator:
majorloser

majorloser

Sorry for the lousy pics (glare).
I like lighthouses, too :)

I've got a couple more that are not hung at this time siince we don't have room.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Samsung announced today that it has collaborated with The Thomas Kinkade Company to develop an LCD TV that would be able to shift between artwork and TV programming at a moment’s notice.
The REAL kicker is that it will change at random. One minute, Super Bowl and Nascar will be on... and then all of the sudden, a picture of dogs dry humping themselves :D

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
Sorry for the lousy pics (glare).
I like lighthouses, too :)

I've got a couple more that are not hung at this time siince we don't have room.

Those are very nice!! My wifes dad Loves lighthouses. He is a Baptist preacher and he relates what a lighthouses were to ships, to what Jesus is to todays Churches. Im in agreement with him :D Kinkade sure can pick some awesome color combinations. Nice colloection man! Do you have any other artists?

Peace,
Tommy

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Just because it is a bad idea, that does not mean that it won't achieve the goal of being in business. The point of being in business is, of course, turning a profit; making worthwhile products is basically irrelevant. There is a lot of garbage that has been sold to suckers over the years, and the money from the sale of garbage is just as good as the money from the sale of worthwhile products.

I doubt it will sell very well, but I am no expert on what stupid people will buy, so I could be wrong about this. After all, a lot of people have bad taste, so maybe they are on to something with this. I will reserve judgment on the wisdom of the marketing department of Samsung until after I hear about whether they make money or not. We need not, of course, wait to judge that they have bad taste.

itschris

itschris

I think these are the first steps of a major change ahead of us in the next 10-20 years. Think about the GRID and even vaster broader transport systems and think about how display technology will change in that same timeframe. What if a super thin panel, super high contrast, energy efficient display technology (maybe even advanced OLED) became the norm. What if you could put a 4'x5' 1/8" thick screen on the wall that you could steam art too it... why would you ever buy art at that point.

Think about the work place... why would you go to an office. At some point many of us will just have huge screens at home and work in a virtual office where we can go have a meeting whomever we want... we can see them, hear them, in real time. We do that here at my office sometimes and it's kinda of amazing, but think about where it'll be a decade from now.

Given that, if you're an artist, would you rather sell one painting for $1,000, or lease it out to 100,000 people for a $1/month? I think that's where we're headed and many things as we know them are going to change... and I think that change is happening faster and faster.

I don't want to be like the last guy in the country making buggy whips. I'm sure he made the finest buggy whip ever to be held your hand, but as he looked out his window and saw cars, I wonder what he thought.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis