Soundcast OutCast Wireless Battery-Powered Outdoor Speaker

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
What do you do if you want sound in many different rooms of your house or outside but don't have the time or money to spend on wiring up all those speakers, extra amps, and source components? Get yourself a wireless speaker with a great range and sound quality. But where? Soundcast Systems hopes to answer that question for you with their OutCast Wireless System. We found it to have great range (matching or exceeding their claims of 150') and better than expected sound quality. It may be pricy but for that you get convenience, portability, and a solution that will take minutes rather than days to complete.

Discuss "Soundcast OutCast Wireless Battery-Powered Outdoor Speaker" here. Read the article.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Skip wireless, it seems that they're very susceptible to interference.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Neither this product nor the Soundolier product I reviewed had any problems with wireless interference.

T

thmarine

Audiophyte
Soundcast - Outcast speakers are excellent!

These things are even better than I could imagine. I am somewhat a music quality snob so I was worried about the sound quality of wireless speakers. Well the folks at Soundcast have this new patented wireless technology that definiely works! I originally saw them when Googling and found a good review at AudioHolics.com.

My experience has been GREAT! Easy to set up. Easy to use. The base truly thumps and they do not distort even at the highest volume level.

I have been using them around our pool. I bought two units because I wanted it to be really clear and really loud. Most applications will require only one of these babies. I have a very large pool deck - about 65' by 65' and these things completely fill the space with great sound.

I mostly use my ipod and it works great with the transmitter that comes with the speaker. You can also connect the transmitter to a computer or radio with a line out (headphone jack).

The battery charge definitely lasts 8-10 hours, even at higher volume levels and recharges in just 2-3 hours. Or you can just leave them plugged in. I have moved the speaker up to 150 ft away from transmitter and heard no degradation in sound. I have not tried further.

I can walk the very back of my lot and stand about 150' away from the speakers and can hear them clearly. WE have taken them to a lake house to use on the dock and to the beach. The really work great everywhere. And the build is very sturdy.

Trust me, these are the best wireless speakers I have ever heard. Just FYI, I have very high quality, audiophile home theatre systems in my house. These speakers compare favorably with my system that costs several thousand dollars.

If you really need a wireless application, then I would highly suggest you give these a try. I bought mine on Amazon.com

Before I did I exchanged several emails with the manufacturer - soundcastsystems.com - and they answered all my questions. They also told the truth compared to what I got.

Jeff

J

jamie2112

Banned
Neither this product nor the Soundolier product I reviewed had any problems with wireless interference.
Thats a good thing to know. I have been at 2 parties this past month that both people were using wireless speakers and they sounded mediocre at best,with cell phone jutter every time someones cell phone went off within a few feet of the speakers. They sounded ok hooked up to an IPOD but I would like to hear them hooked up to a stereo. Both of these were Marine outdoor speakers buy the way and could not even compete with the Soundolier speakers I am sure. Thanks again Tom for an informative review.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Jeff,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the review!

Do you have a wireless computer network at your house? If so, did you have any issues while running your speakers? The biggest complaint that I've seen of the Soundcast system that I was considering is that it causes problems with home wireless networks. Just wondering if you had any experience with that.

Thanks.

Adam

T

thmarine

Audiophyte
does not interfere with my wireless network

Jeff,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the review!

Do you have a wireless computer network at your house? If so, did you have any issues while running your speakers? The biggest complaint that I've seen of the Soundcast system that I was considering is that it causes problems with home wireless networks. Just wondering if you had any experience with that.

Thanks.

Adam
Adam,
I do have a wireless network in my home. We have not experienced any interference at all with the computer network or any of the other wireless stuff going on. Just FYI, I also have five cordless phones, multiple wireless home alarm modules (glass breaks, motion detectors, etc.), and wireless modules connecting Xbox to computer network and the speakers do not cause any interference with any of the multitude of wireless things we have going on. I was worried about this, but pleasantly surprised to find no problems. I do not know what their wireless technology is, but from what I gather, it is much more like a wireless router technology than your typical wireless speaker. The folks at Soundcast might could answer that if you e-mail them.

Oh, I should also clarify here. I have only used the system on the outside of my house. I set the transmitter on a small table right against the exterior wall of the house and plug my ipod or radio into it. However, there is a window right there by that table and on the other side of it is a home theatre system including the Xbox with the wireless module connecting it to the home network. So, I doubt that glass would stop interference from happening on my network. However, i have not set up my transmitter on the inside of my house, where the signal might be stronger to interfere with the inside wireless activities.

Also, absolutely no issue with cell phones either. I have used my cell phone all around the transmitter and the receiver, with no problems. As a matter of fact, my teenage son had about thirty 15-16 year olds over a few weeks ago for a Friday night pool party. Trust me, even at a pool party, those teenagers were talking and texting like mad on their phones, and the music just kept on thumping.

Cheers!
Jeff

Last edited:
C

Charita

Audiophyte
If it is not interfering with cell phones what frequency does it use. I tend to think they use 900Mhz, in that case there should be some interference. Also I have heard a lot about them interfering with medical implants, is there any proof of that?

A

ambrosia

Audiophyte
Help

Hi,
I want u to help about my project:)
I'm writing an essay about outdoor wireless speakers and my teacher wanted me to learn about expectations of the people in outdoor wireless speakers.Can you help me about it please?Thank u:)

T

thmarine

Audiophyte
If it is not interfering with cell phones what frequency does it use. I tend to think they use 900Mhz, in that case there should be some interference. Also I have heard a lot about them interfering with medical implants, is there any proof of that?
Charita, it is definitely NOT 900 Mhz.

Just go to soundcastsystems.com ... put the www in front of that of course (sorry could not get link to work).

Anyway, go there and click on the "technology" tab. It will give you the down and dirty.

Here is a synopsis of some of that:
Soundcast uses Frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) technology in which the transmitter constantly and automatically searches for open channels in the 2.4 GHz band and jumps to them to avoid interference with other products, such as cordless telephones, radio controlled toys, cell phones, microwave ovens, remots, and wireless routers.

If you want to get really technical, look at the bottom of the front page of the "technology tab", go to the far right icon with your mouse and it will say "Technical Specs". Click that and it will give you all the real engineer type data. Some of which I copy here:

Data rate: 1.536 Mbps
Modulation: Frequency Hopping; FSK digital radio
Co-existence: Impervious to 802.11, microwave oven, both DSSS and FHSS cordless phones, and bluetooth devices.
Operating Frequency: 2400 - 2483 MHz
Channel width: 2.0 MHz

Anyway, I have no idea if it affects medical devices. We don't have any of those. But I highly doubt it, or their FCC registration and paperwork they send with product would have to state such a danger existed. But, like I think I mentioned in my review, just call the folks at SoundCast. I called them with a couple of questions about the waterproofing, etc. and they were very kind. Or e-mail the question. Here is the contact info from their website:

phone: toll free 1-800-722-1293

You can e-mail them thru their website. Just click on the "contact" page on their homepage, then type in your message and submit it. I did that and got an answer within 24 hours on my question.

Good luck with your decision.

Jeff

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
Just reviving this thread in case anyone is looking for a great outdoor speaker solution. I did a brief audition of these recently and ordered one as the sound was great and it gives incredible bass in an outdoor environment which is difficult to do. I have a pair of Mirage outdoor speakers for my deck. They sound decent if you're sitting on the deck (although they lack bass), but they just don't cut it when you're in the pool. The Outcast will fit the bill as it can sit poolside and play quite loud.

T

thmarine

Audiophyte
still going strong

Thought I would throw an update to my review - 3 years later.

My SoundCast outcast speakers are still going strong after 3 years, pretty much outdoors all the time.

Several people I know who have witnessed mine at my pool or at the lake house have bought themselves one.

One good friend just got one a couple of months ago and I took a look at it. Since I bought mine, they have made some cosmetic changes/improvements - but other than that, it is the same rock solid speaker.

Cheers!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis