Denon POA-A1HDCI 10 Channel Power Amplifier Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The POA-A1HDCI revitalizes Denon’s high end stigma that it earned over the years and puts the name back on the map for high end cost no object audio. You can rest assured that its size is backed by legendary performance one would expect from Denon flagship pieces. The POA-A1HDCI delivers respectable high and most importantly clean dynamic power and provides enough channels to handle even the largest scale home theater installations with a few to spare for specialized needs and installations. Coupled with the matching AVP-A1HDCI processor, you’ve got a state of the art A/V separates solution that can run toe to toe with any of its peers in this price class.

Discuss "Denon POA-A1HDCI 10 Channel Power Amplifier Review" here. Read the article.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Uggh and I was just going to log off and you post this:D:D

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Excellent review Gene! Sounds like it's one heck of a nice amp.:)

Now I'm looking forward to your review of the Denon AVP-A1HDCI.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
It really is a beast.

Excellent review.

It's been a long time waiting to hear the first full blown professional review of this fantastic piece of equipment.

I've been working on a install job for quite some time now, and we've had the equipment (AVP/POA and BD2500 blu-ray transport) setup in the living room until we finish the theater.

We're connecting up to a set of BG 520i freestanding Radia, in the Bi-Amp mode, and it truly is fantastic. So good to hear that our thoughts were the same as yours.

Thanks as well, to you Seth, for your excellent review of the AVP. We agree with both your and the Techradar.com review on the performance of the AVP. It's hard to believe that anyone will really make a better pairing.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
That thing looks very intimidating, and I love it! Maybe one day I can afford to have something as grand as that in my home theater. Sounds like you had a blast testing it.

M

mardelgo

Junior Audioholic
"The Denon POA-A1HDCI is a monster (or maybe I should say “beast” to avoid a Monster Cable lawsuit)." = Priceless:D

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Awesome, awesome review!!!:)

Okay, now I'm going to have to start lifting weights again. When I can easily lift 132 lbs, I'll buy the POA-A1HDCI.:D

Can't wait for the review of the AVP-A1HDCI!!!:)

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Excellent review.

It's been a long time waiting to hear the first full blown professional review of this fantastic piece of equipment.

I've been working on a install job for quite some time now, and we've had the equipment (AVP/POA and BD2500 blu-ray transport) setup in the living room until we finish the theater.

We're connecting up to a set of BG 520i freestanding Radia, in the Bi-Amp mode, and it truly is fantastic. So good to hear that our thoughts were the same as yours.

Thanks as well, to you Seth, for your excellent review of the AVP. We agree with both your and the Techradar.com review on the performance of the AVP. It's hard to believe that anyone will really make a better pairing.
Yes it's great to read the first in depth professional review on the POA.:) I really appreciate gene going the extra mile with his reviews to test all aspects of performance.

Sounds like It's going to be a very nice theater install you're working on. Thanks for sharing your experience with these new Denon separates.

The BG 520i freestanding Radia's are some very nice speakers. I'll bet it sounds sweet with the Denon gear.

Thanks for the kind words about my user review.;) As you can tell I am very impressed with the AVP. Sounds like gene got a fully working AVP this time, so I'm looking forward to reading his in depth review.

Denon definitely has a winner with these new separates.

Seth

M

Michael

Enthusiast
Comparisons

Hi,

how would you compare performance of Denon against Parasound Halo A21 in stereo mode?

thanks,
Michael

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi,

how would you compare performance of Denon against Parasound Halo A21 in stereo mode?

thanks,
Michael

Pretty comparible until you bridge the Denon which in that situation should have a slight edge. Those old Parasound amps are sweet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I still can't wait for your AVP-A1HDCI review!!!:D

P

perato

Audioholic Intern
Does Audioholics have any plans on reviewing the Axiom A1400-8 or the Outlaw 7900, including comparisons to the Denon POA-A1HDCI?

Specs on the Axiom look to be to very close to the Denon, at almost 50% of the price and much less weight.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does Audioholics have any plans on reviewing the Axiom A1400-8 or the Outlaw 7900, including comparisons to the Denon POA-A1HDCI?

Specs on the Axiom look to be to very close to the Denon, at almost 50% of the price and much less weight.
I think you get what you pay for. I think if I were looking into Axiom and Outlaw, I might as well look at Emotiva, which is even less expensive. I mean the Emotiva MPS-2 7Ch amp is 200/300/400 watts into 8/4/2 ohms. It's even a true monoblock design w/ 7 toroidal transformers/power supplies.

But what you get with the Denon POA-A1HDCI is true ultra-high-end build & sound quality comparable to the likes of Mark Levinson, Krell, McIntosh, and the high-dollar Marantz - IMO.

I just can't compare Emotiva, Outlaw, or Axiom to this same ultra-high-end crowd. I think they all sound very similar in most cases, but the build quality and the ability to drive even 1 ohm speakers is what separates them.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
So True...

But what you get with the Denon POA-A1HDCI is true ultra-high-end build & sound quality comparable to the likes of Mark Levinson, Krell, McIntosh, and the high-dollar Marantz - IMO.

I just can't compare Emotiva, Outlaw, or Axiom to this same ultra-high-end crowd. I think they all sound very similar in most cases, but the build quality and the ability to drive even 1 ohm speakers is what separates them.
The D&M Holdings venue at CES 2008 proved exactly what AcuDef. is saying. The POA-A1HDCI is really a remarkable piece of equipment. While the McIntosh demo room was absolutely fantastic and wonderful and every McIntosh, the demo room with the Denon AVP/POA/BR-Transport was an incredible 123 punch.

The POA is truly a high end audiophile grade piece of equipment. Plus its just cool for Denon to have the largest Amp. (physically speaking) out there.

BTW, the demo was so impressive my partner and I ordered the AVP/POA/BR-Transport 123 punch for our demo room. It's fantastic.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
The D&M Holdings venue at CES 2008 proved exactly what AcuDef. is saying. The POA-A1HDCI is really a remarkable piece of equipment. While the McIntosh demo room was absolutely fantastic and wonderful and every McIntosh, the demo room with the Denon AVP/POA/BR-Transport was an incredible 123 punch.

The POA is truly a high end audiophile grade piece of equipment. Plus its just cool for Denon to have the largest Amp. (physically speaking) out there.

BTW, the demo was so impressive my partner and I ordered the AVP/POA/BR-Transport 123 punch for our demo room. It's fantastic.
123 punch indeed!:) Killer setup for your demo room! Very cool!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Friends;

I am hanging onto the Denon Separates to do followups on updates to the products. I have made the Pre/Pro thread a sticky on our forums to support and tech questions you may have. I will also email your questions to Denon tech if I or others on here cannot answer them.

Please use this thread for related AVP and POA questions:

> Denon Separates Support Thread <

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis