Napster Flubs Major DRM-free Shot at iTunes

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Napster is serving notice on iTunes... sort of. The music-pirate-turned-legal company has switched gears from being exclusively a legal subscription service to also including a "fully-stocked" music download store. The catch? All Napster's music is DRM-free and still priced at around $0.99/track or $9.99/album. It will also be compatible with Apple's popular iPods as well as all other MP3 players on the market. They feature 6 million tracks according to their marketing. The only question remains: how did they convince the big four labels to ditch DRM on all their music? Or is this all some sort of marketing stunt?

Discuss "Napster Flubs Major DRM-free Shot at iTunes" here. Read the article.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
The catch isn't that the music is DRM free, but that the music labels don't want to play along. Sort of an awkward sentence there... (pardon my fragment)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
All I want to know is why oh why were you trying to download Brittney Spears music Clint? :confused:

E

efzauner

Enthusiast
Not in canada eh!

Well napster.ca is still drm... canucks get screwed again. Typing in Napster.com redirects me to a collector site!!

They still just dont get it!! I would love to download legal music and pay give them lots of my money! They don't seem to want it!

A

allargon

Audioholic General
So, Napster is trying to catch up with Emusic *and* Itunes. Fortunately for Emusic (Itunes is too tightly integrated with the Ipod to feel threatened anytime soon), Napster doesn't have its act together.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis