Logitech Squeezebox Duet Music Server Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Logitech Squeezebox Duet is probably one of the coolest and best products I've ever reviewed. Sure, it's a little buggy right now but that is to be expected this close to launch. The fact remains that once the bugs are worked out, you'll be left with one of the coolest remotes, the neatest streaming services, and best way to get high quality content from your computer to your home theater… wirelessly!

Discuss "Logitech Squeezebox Duet Music Server Review" here. Read the article.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
how does this compare with "networked" recievers

I've read various reciever reviews that include networking as a feature. My impression is that this allows the reciever to stream files from your computer.

I think I'd prefer to put my $400 into a better all around reciever that includes this option - thereby elimating the need for this expensive logiteck device.

Any thoughts? Being able to have a non-big screen OSD would be important, I don't know how that is handled in the recievers.

For $400 you can almost get a nice small laptop running itunes (connected to my older reciever) that you keep on a sidetable. I did this actually for awhile, it was a pretty nice set-up, though my wife wasn't thrilled about having a laptop in the living room all the time.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I think I'd prefer to put my $400 into a better all around reciever that includes this option - thereby elimating the need for this expensive logiteck device. Any thoughts?
Don't do it. Various manufacturers have been trying it for years and they are all riddled with problems and big limitations. Search the forums and you'll see what I mean.

The Duet is essentially a Squeezebox with a flashy remote control. Basically they moved the screen from the main component to a handheld remote and while it may be nice to carry it around the house with you and read the song title in your hand instead of staring across the room, I'm not convinced that it is all that compelling compared to the Squeezebox which is $100 cheaper.

J

jotham

Audioholic
I've got two squeezebox ver.3 in my house and I have to say it would be pretty slick to control everything with the remote.

Here's my basic analysis. Don't buy a receiver that tries to simulate the functionality, it won't be nearly as good and the external display helps a lot. Browsing is far easier on a squeezebox.

If you only need this for one room, then the Duet is overkill, just get a Squeezebox and you can also control it via laptop.

On the other hand, if you have more than one stereo like I do or speakers littered throughout the house, the Duet looks more attractive. The more receivers you add to the system, the more the value proposition increases.

Also, a real nice bonus feature is that it acts like a wireless bridge as well. So I have one squeezebox that hooks up wirelessly and provides an ethernet jack for my Xbox 360 to connect as well. So I saved the roughly $50-100 to connect my Xbox wirelessly to my network.

later,

Jotham

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Don't do it.
I second that!

A close friend has a mid-to-higher-end Denon receiver (model ## eludes me) he spent way more than he should have on this receiver. It has built in wi-fi and provides access to Internet radio, streaming music files etc.

The trouble is that he has had big problems with the unit and is trying to sell it. Without getting into specifics - it doesn nothing very well.

Forget the whole "audiophile" conspiracy about single components doing too many jobs and causing internal noise due to RF build-up. That may or may not be interfering with our precious audio signals.

But back-to-basics engineering would seem to dictate that if your receiver is doing too many jobs there are too many thing that can go wrong. Just looking at the forums receivers that have HQV video processing, Wi-Fi, Internet Radio, cooks your eggs etc. etc. the owners are having big troubles.

That's why I went with a Marantz 8002, stripped down, does only a few things very well. I also use a Squeezebox for streaming media. It's the older squeezebox but I have no troubles.

I love these things. If squeezebox were a woman I'd ask for its hand in eternal wedded bliss. :)

I

IvanGeurMasqué

Audiophyte
Rather disappointed by the Duet

Hello,

I own a SB from 1.5 year now and I am very satisfied with it. For a second room, I ordered a Duet, which attractive look I could'nt resist. It's really expensive in Europe, as Logitech sells them 399€, that is more than $600!

I found the wheel not so comfortable to use, as you have to scroll through all letters to get one, whereas the SB classic lets you get it in only one to three clicks (SMS-like). I usually jump from song to song, that's the reason I bought a SB, to stay in my couch without needing switching CDs. The Duet is not convenient to do this, as browsing through songs is now really slow because you have to scroll all 26 letters to get the one you want.

Furthermore, adding picture art to my already ripped albums is really painful.

But I still regret (now I returned it for a refund, for the first time inmy life) the beautiful design of the product, even though the analog vumeters were lacking on the new Duet.

austinbirdman

austinbirdman

Audioholic Intern
Why No Mention of Main Competitor?

I am a bit confused by this review. Why is there no mention in it anywhere of Logitech's main rival in the Squeezebox market niche, Sonos, which is the competitor they are taking aim at with the Squeezebox Duet? The review is written as if a wireless digital whole house audio system were a great idea Logitech is trying to perfect - but in fact many of the kinks have already been perfected, by Sonos. Also, the caveats at the end of the review make it sound like Logitech got a really bad review for this product, but the ratings ending the review are actually pretty good. Personally, if I had as much trouble setting up a system as you described having with the Squeezebox, I'd rate it a lot lower.

I have to say this review does not seem altogether on the level. A review that levelled with readers would point out there's a much more seamless technical solution out there for streaming digital music, at full resolution, anywhere in your house. More expensive, yes, but working out of the box - Sonos. And it works even when your computer is turned off, if you choose to store your music on a networked hard drive.

Full disclosure - I own a Sonos system and love it, and I am an audiophile snob (and other than this review, big fan of Audioholics).

Senior Audioholic
Sure, it's a little buggy right now but that is to be expected this close to launch. The fact remains that once the bugs are worked out,
Don't hold your breath. Logitech is well known for releasing buggy products, promising patches, then abandoning it after several failed attempts at bug fixes.

Like my MX5000 Cordless Desktop bluetooth mouse and keyboard.:mad:

I had been considering a Squeezebox. I did not know Logitech had bought them. I thank Audioholics for pointing this out, now I will avoid the Sqeezebox.

S

storm

Audiophyte
Squeezebox Controller, et al

I bought the Controller last week -- I have owned a Transporter since around Christmas and a Squeezebox for almost a year. I have experienced many of the issues you noted and have concluded that most of them are due to the wireless network in my home. I am still working on some of those issues and believe I would have had them with any similar product I would have bought from a competitor.

Unlike any other company I have had dealings with, their tech support has been tireless, enthusiastic, engaging, responsive, patient, and just about any other complimentary comment I can come up with.

When I purchased the Transporter, I picked it up at their headquarters in Silicon Valley. When Logitec bought them, they seemed to do so with the intention of leaving them alone (at least for the time being). The same people are there as was there before and the tech support folks seem to be the same group that were there before. The tech support phone number is for Squeezebox products only -- questions about other Logitec products are referred to other numbers. My impression is that Logitec seems to be willing to leave this group intact and the only meddling I have seen is in the branding.

I have been conducting what I call the back yard test. With the controller, I am able to control the transporter or squeezebox from outside (a nice plus when the phone rings while you are listening to something on outdoors speakers (or for that matter when you are listening to music in a room away from the receiver).

Viewing the album art on the remote control has been a pleasure and being able to see what is playing or about to play without having to get up and look feels downright hedonistic. It has been surprising how challenging identifying artist, track, and album is when you are listening to them with the random feature.

I wish they sold a second battery pack for the controller. With everything on all of the time, the batteries seeem to fade after about 4 hours. I would be great to slip another battery pack on while the other is recharging (like you can for a lot of other electronic products).

I do strongly recommend these products with the caveat that they are maturing fairly quickly and problems do seem to be getting addressed pretty quickly. With what I have seen so far, I am convinced that the Squeezebox product line will continue to grow and develop. This means that Logitec will continue to devote a considerable amount of resources toward honing the Squeeze Center -- the software at the heart of the entire product line.

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
Don't hold your breath. Logitech is well known for releasing buggy products, promising patches, then abandoning it after several failed attempts at bug fixes.

I had been considering a Squeezebox. I did not know Logitech had bought them. I thank Audioholics for pointing this out, now I will avoid the Sqeezebox.
First off, do a little research behind the company that makes this device. It is not logitech but a small company that is owned by Logitech. Smart thing they did when they bought the company was to keep the company together and let them do their thing. The Duet was actually in R&D before Logitech even bought the company. They make very nice software and are always fixing it and improving it. Also note that the server software is open source so if they do not fix it fast enough then you can do it. They have a nice API and some talented folks writing plugins for their devices.

My Squeezebox that I bought 4 years ago is MUCH more capable now then it was the day I bought it because every feature they came up with that my hardware could handle they gave me! Heck they even gave me at a very very small price the option to upgrade my display when they went from a character display to a graphic display.

The little jack on the top of the remote is in fact connected to a DAC, it just does not have the code behind it yet to operate it. The remote also has an SD card ;). Bit surprised the reviewer did not notice that?

Also about the menus, great thing about Squeezeboxes is you can customize the menu any way you want, do not want any of the pay services then remove them. Want Now Playing at the top, move it up there.

O

olc

Enthusiast
Hello,

I own a SB from 1.5 year now and I am very satisfied with it. For a second room, I ordered a Duet, which attractive look I could'nt resist. It's really expensive in Europe, as Logitech sells them 399€, that is more than $600!

I found the wheel not so comfortable to use, as you have to scroll through all letters to get one, whereas the SB classic lets you get it in only one to three clicks (SMS-like). I usually jump from song to song, that's the reason I bought a SB, to stay in my couch without needing switching CDs. The Duet is not convenient to do this, as browsing through songs is now really slow because you have to scroll all 26 letters to get the one you want.

Furthermore, adding picture art to my already ripped albums is really painful.

But I still regret (now I returned it for a refund, for the first time inmy life) the beautiful design of the product, even though the analog vumeters were lacking on the new Duet.
I've had both the SB and the Duet and will never go back to the SB. The info you need is much more accessible. The scrolling speed increases as you keep turning the wheel, and with a little practice, you can find things very quickly. Google for "album cover art downloaders" for free software that will find about 90% of the cover art for your ripped CDs fast and easy. (It uses Amazon as the primary place to look so most of it is there.)

O

olc

Enthusiast

Slim Devices, who developed the Squeezebox, is still doing all the work on the Duet, even though they are now part of Logitech. There is excellent support on their site (slimdevices.com) in the forums.

O

olc

Enthusiast
I am a bit confused by this review. Why is there no mention in it anywhere of Logitech's main rival in the Squeezebox market niche, Sonos, which is the competitor they are taking aim at with the Squeezebox Duet? The review is written as if a wireless digital whole house audio system were a great idea Logitech is trying to perfect - but in fact many of the kinks have already been perfected, by Sonos. Also, the caveats at the end of the review make it sound like Logitech got a really bad review for this product, but the ratings ending the review are actually pretty good. Personally, if I had as much trouble setting up a system as you described having with the Squeezebox, I'd rate it a lot lower.

I have to say this review does not seem altogether on the level. A review that levelled with readers would point out there's a much more seamless technical solution out there for streaming digital music, at full resolution, anywhere in your house. More expensive, yes, but working out of the box - Sonos. And it works even when your computer is turned off, if you choose to store your music on a networked hard drive.

Full disclosure - I own a Sonos system and love it, and I am an audiophile snob (and other than this review, big fan of Audioholics).
It's possible to have problems with either if your network isn't reliable. I have no problems with mine using either the Sonos or the Duet. I returned the Sonos and kept the Duet based on needing fewer pieces and lower cost. Sonos does offer a nice piece for adding rooms which has a receiver and amp in the same box, and Logitech shouldget on the ball and offer one, or just use the excellent and cheap AudioEngine powered speakers.

O

olc

Enthusiast
I'm surprised at no mention of FLAC encoded files as it is my preferred method of storage. Not only does it save space on my hard drive but it is a native file type for the Duet (or SB). Both devices convert WAV to FLAC in the Squeeze Center server before broadcasting to the receiver.

M

mvalera

Audiophyte

Logitech bought Slim Devices, but we retained virtually all (I think we lost one) the same developers that brought you the Squeezebox Classic and Transporter. That includes the founder and lead product tinkerer Sean Adams, and our Director of Engineering Dean Blackketter. With the additional funding Logitech has thrown behind us, we actually expanded our engineering ranks quite a bit by hiring some of our most prolific community developers.

I can't speak for how the keyboard guys release their software, but the main reason we acquired these guys was their expertise in the field. The Logitech "overloards" have not taken over, in fact we're having an affect on the rest of the company in terms of how the greater Logitech releases and tests their software and products with our whole open source thing.

Mike

slimdevices.com

B

bignerd

Audiophyte
Great Product

I love my squeezebox. It is really come a long way and the duet remote control is outstanding. I have it hooked up to two receivers, and though it is sometimes a little slow buffering pandora over my crumby internet connection, the sound quality is flawless. I read a really great review at this site "The Mantuary" (just google it... it wouldn't let me post the link but it is www(dot)themantuary(dot)com search squeezebox)

S

seriley

Audiophyte
Squeezebox Duet disappointment

Wow, what a waste of many hours of my life trying to get this to work. I spent three hours trying to get the duet to connect to my network. It seems once you finish an option in the setup, you can't ever go back there. I don't know what changed, but after three hours suddenly it connected.

Then the 2nd problem - no sound. Then I noticed the remote saying it was playing a song, with the little countdown timer, but it wouldn't play more than 30 seconds before it would start over again. If I changed the volume, it also started over at the beginning. I spent several more hours on this step, trying to figure out why there was no sound, and why the song wouldn't "play" more than 30 seconds.

I went on to Logitech's web page to post my problems. I typed in a very long list of my issues - and pressed submit. I got an error, the page had timed out, and everything I typed was gone! That was the final straw for me, I am returning this. Too bad - it looks very cool, and the people that managed to get it to work love it.

And for those of you thinking I may not be technically inclined, and possibly that was my issue - I'm a programmer, I set up encrypted WiFi all the time, I set all kinds of electronice devices up - usually with little or no issues. And I'm a web prgrammer - there was no reason for them to time out their web page and lose my problem description I spent so much time typing in. Logitech just gave a tiny brochure on how to set this up - so it should have taken no more than 10 minutes.

D

deadushka256

Audiophyte
Squeezebox Duet Is A Small Miracle

I own a squeezebox and a squeezebox duet one year now and I have to tell you this is very neat device. I've tried many network players (Dune, Netgear, Sonos etc) but this one beats them all hands down.

The sound of the two devices is very different (if you have a decent piece of kit to tell it) so you have to carefully select what you connect it to.

After many hours of listening I've picked what I think best combination. My reference system consists of squeezebox duet connected optically to Audio Alchemy DAC-In-The-Box which connects directly into Parasound A21 power amp (the best preamp is no preamp) and a pair of NHT 2.5i. The sound is owesome. It's the best system I've ever had (and I've had a lot).

The second system in my study is squeezebox connected to Nakamichi IA-4 integrated amp and a pair of Monitor Audio RS-6. The sound is very good but not as good as with Parasound.

The Controller can control both squeezeboxes (separately or in sync) or you can control both system from any computer on your network via browser (I use Google Chrome).

I've never had ANY problem with both squeezeboxes. Both are connected via WIFI. Well there is one small issue when microwave oven is turned on for more than 4 minutes then the closest squeezebox rans out of cache and start to stutter.

Otherwise the squeezebox is perfect. It was perfect with initial releases of SlimServer, now it gives you more and more features with every new release.

The controller is a treat. I noticed I started to listen to the music more considering that any track of any CD in my collection now is just a click away. Now the actual CDs are stashed away in the box in the closet.

Great job Logitech (or SlimDevices)!

Thinking of going for the Transporter. It has the balanced outputs and think this alone will worth a try. Even if it's not better than the Duet it will look great on top of my Parasound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis