Hate Crimes against Geeks on the Rise

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The long running joke of high school is beating up the geek. It's in practically every movie in the genre. For many geeks it was considered a "right of passage" that gave them the drive and motivation to be successful academically so that they could later fire that tormentor and watch him degenerate into alcoholism and poverty. For many, this thought is the only thing that gets them through this most trying of times.

Discuss "Hate Crimes against Geeks on the Rise" here. Read the article.

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
The long running joke of high school is beating up the geek. It's in practically every movie in the genre. For many geeks it was considered a "right of passage" that gave them the drive and motivation to be successful academically so that they could later fire that tormentor and watch him degenerate into alcoholism and poverty. For many, this thought is the only thing that gets them through this most trying of times.

Discuss "Hate Crimes against Geeks on the Rise" here. Read the article.
I always stuck up for people who were being picked on in school. It makes me sad to see how cruel people act to others who are different.

I believe any voilent crime is a hate crime. Crime on victims beause thay are in a certain social group shouldnt be catagorized any differently than someone who has been mugged or a victim of road rage.

Peace,
Tommy

I always stuck up for people who were being picked on in school. It makes me sad to see how cruel people act to others who are different.

majorloser

majorloser

Thank you Tom for your stirring article.

(Now get back to work before I post more pictures from your high school year book)

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you Tom for your stirring article.

(Now get back to work before I post more pictures from your high school year book)

No kidding. Get back to work before me and the rest of the wrestling team flush your head in the toilet again.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
seriously. though bullies are creeps ... but when you start something called Jedi Church, you're just asking to be beat on.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Right, they just ask for it don't they. :mad:

Nobody asks for it. Period.

Not in school, not here, nowhere.

For the most part, responses to bullying in school are inadequate at best, and patheticly non-existant at worst.

Sadly, not all bullys fall to the bottom of the ladder. Many graduate, climb the corporate (or whatever) ladder and make life for those under them hell.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
hey i've been bullied myself and i am ashamed to say have bullied (called someone names) someone too. i think it's a psychological defense mechanism OR compensation for something lacking.

e.g. the dumabasses picking on the nerds ; or thinking if you're a bully, you won't be bullied.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
i think it's a psychological defense mechanism OR compensation for something lacking.
Funnily enough, compensation is a defense mechanism. :D

Unfortunately also, when bullies have children, they bully their children, and the cycle continues. :(

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Some People Need A Life (geeks too!)

I read the article a couple of times just to be sure. While I agree that hate crimes against anyone (except some folks over at the audio asylum) are heinous, the article looks like something that was written for the Onion. http://www.theonion.com

dilznoofus

dilznoofus

Audioholic Intern
I for one have no use for the Greeks. Ever since Homer told their side (and ONLY their side) of the story, those damn Greeks have been insufferable. Helen ran off because Menelaus beat her. So what do the Greeks do? They ganged up, burned the women's shelter to the ground, killed everyone in it, and then sewed salt into the earth so nothing would ever grow there again. If you ask me, they oughta have their collective asses whipped for a stunt like that.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Wait. Am I missing something?

Recently, a man dressed loosely as Darth Vader hopped a fence to assault two geeks with a crutch.
Wouldn't someone dressed as Darth Vader be considered a geek, too? This isn't a hate crime, its just geek on geek crime.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

dilznoofus

dilznoofus

Audioholic Intern
Did you actually read the entire article?

IT'S A JOKE, SON, IT'S A JOKE.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
When I was in high school, I liked math, computers, and chess. I refused to join any of those clubs, however, because I didn't want to be associated with the nerds who were always getting beaten up.:( I grew my hair long and joined the stoners because they were mostly left alone.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Huh?

I need to get my eyesight checked. I thought the thread title was "Hate Crimes Against Greeks." :confused::D

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
While Tom's editorial may have been tounge-in-cheek, the story is unfortunately true.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23586943-13762,00.html

Although I have to admit (insensitive as it is) I couldn't stop laughing at:

"He was wearing a black bin bag and a cape and had a metal crutch in his hand,” Ms Lloyd said. "
Regardless of whether the victims are geeks, jews, gays, middle-easterners or whoever, hate crime is never a laughing matter.:( In fact, it is about as evil as humans get this side of serial killers and torturers.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Regardless of whether the victims are geeks, jews, gays, middle-easterners or whoever, hate crime is never a laughing matter.:( In fact, it is about as evil as humans get this side of serial killers and torturers.
You just can't wait to jump down my throat, huh? If you read the link, the person wearing the black bin bag, cape, with a crutch was the assailant, not the victim(s).

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
You just can't wait to jump down my throat, huh?
:confused::confused:
I was, of course, referring to the line "Tom's article may have been toungue in cheek..."
Seems pretty paranoid for you to interpret everything as a personal attack like that. (You made a similar mistake in the music section.)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis