Sony's New 2mm OLED Display

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sony is really pursuing this OLED thing to its biggest potential and put out a new display this week that measures just 2mm thick. We thought the original 3mm model was thin, but it seems Sony is still working on making the process even better. The new display was recently shown off at the Display 2008 expo trade show in Japan, where Sony also debuted a new version of its $2500 11-inch XEL-1, the world's first mass-produced OLED TV.

Discuss "Sony's New 2mm OLED Display" here. Read the article.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
A new version of the XEL-1 as well? What's so new about it? Does it finally do something better than quarter HD resolution? Does it improve it's color accuracy and decoding abilities?

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Does it do anything better than existing technology?;)

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Does it do anything better than existing technology?;)
It is supposed to give a better picture than what you can get with current models (for example, with deeper blacks than plasma), plus be better in other ways (for example, using less power than LCD). We will have to wait and see if anyone can develop a reasonably priced, reasonably sized OLED set, and see if it has any serious disadvantages (rumor has it that it may be subject to burn in, and we will have to wait and see regarding reliability and how long it lasts).

Basically, I would not let this put you off buying something else to use for the next half dozen years or so. It will probably be about that long before they make them a decent size at a sane price, and that is assuming that they don't run into some unexpected obstacle. Of course, I could be mistaken, but I don't regret buying a new TV earlier this year.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I believe some MP3 players are already using some type of OLED display. My Sansa uses OLED, but the pixels can only display one native color on mine. The larger more expensive MP3 players have full color OLED displays, they look pretty nice.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
yes the the infrastructure to support and provide ...

Sony is really pursuing this OLED thing to its biggest potential and put out a new display this week that measures just 2mm thick. We thought the original 3mm model was thin, but it seems Sony is still working on making the process even better. The new display was recently shown off at the Display 2008 expo trade show in Japan, where Sony also debuted a new version of its $2500 11-inch XEL-1, the world's first mass-produced OLED TV.

Discuss "Sony's New 2mm OLED Display" here. Read the article.
... structural integrity will require much thicker than 2mm (0.0787401574 inches thick or slight thicker than 5/64 inch).

Maybe this will require less power? Maybe this would allow faster refresh and faster switching technology? But does it offer and other advantages?

P

ParkerAudio

Full Audioholic
The picture of the 11 inch is fantastic, but come on, my Panasonic portable DVD player, with a 10.2inch LCD screen is not much thicker.
I will be impressed when it becomes more realistic, 50 inch, and priced under $10,000.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Don't OLEDs have an issue with blue? I thought I read somewhere around here that they "self-destruct" and the only color processed is a washed out blue, plus screen longevity is rather short compared to other display technologies.:confused:

I read that if you stare at an OLED display for too long, your brain will melt and you'll start inadvertently humming tunes from Rick Springfield.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
You mean Rick Astley, don't you?

I'm sorry that I even know that.:eek:
I was going to make a similar comment after reading Clint's post, but I restrained myself. Thanks for making it for me. :D

B

big-frank23

Audiophyte
We should wait till they make something over 40". Then worry about it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
... structural integrity will require much thicker than 2mm (0.0787401574 inches thick or slight thicker than 5/64 inch).

Maybe this will require less power? Maybe this would allow faster refresh and faster switching technology? But does it offer and other advantages?
If you haven't gone into a Sony Style store and have seen the model, you really are a bit off the mark for the quality of these displays. For the size, they are phenomenal... for any size, they are truly incredible. I watched the Cars Blu-ray on one and just kept coming back.

Some people talk about their LCD screens being about as thick... Not sure about others, but my LCD screens look horrible if I stand about 20 degrees off center, and suffer from severe hotspotting depending on your angle. This is not an issue whatsoever with OLED. Likewise, the black levels are serious enough that you can't tell the display is even on when a 'black' scene comes up within a movie.

As for the structural support... OLED is actually produced on a thin film, and the supporting 2mm is just a substrate for the OLED to sit on more than anything else. Some of the real technological 'WOW' capabilities will likely eventually include military applications where a 50" OLED sheet is rolled up and carried into the field where it can be unrolled and receive strategic mapping of the terrain for people to view what is going on. Lay it out on a table so everyone can see, but maintain a bright, vivid image that anyone can see from any angle.

For homes - it can be put on a really nice plexiglass substrate and be hung on the wall. Less pacakging protection will be necessary and delivery costs will go down for larger sizes. One person hanging a 50, 60, or 100" display without issue.

Definitely the biggest holdup is the insane pricing and the limited size. But, I think if Sony came out with a 50" model for 25 grand next week, and put it head to head with plasma and lcd that is out right now, there would be buyers from day one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis