Blockbuster to Buy Circuit City?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Blockbuster has made an unsolicited bid for Circuit City. Circuit City has acknowledged receipt of the proposal and has advised its shareholders to essentially relax and stay tuned while they evaluate the documents submitted. This begs a few questions: Circuit City has fundamental "questions" of the proposal, but most seem to focus on the viability of the deal and Blockbuster's ability to purchase the chain.

Discuss "Blockbuster to Buy Circuit City?" here. Read the article.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
As always, the success or failure of the union depends on the quality of management. On the surface, however, it makes some sense to me. Blockbuster needs to diversify away from its disintegrating core business and Circuit City needs new management to become a viable competitor in the marketplace. This acquisition does both of these things. Will it make the two stronger? Only time and management talent will tell.

As a small business entrepreneur, I can tell you that I have a fairly jaded opinion of most big business managements. The people who get into the highest levels of management in large companies are those with the right politics, not necessarily the right ideas. In some cases, the lower management substitutes and in some cases (like with these two companies) it doesn't. Best of luck to both of them.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Wow! Blockbuster and Circuit City, now there's a match made in heaven!:D I'm surprised Best Buy hasn't stepped into the fray.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe if Blockbuster goes get CC there will be a much bigger push for blu ray.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Viewing the free cash flows of these companies I wonder if two drunks can hold one another up?

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
And just why would Blockbuster want Circuit City? Not that BB is all that great itself, but buying the leaky little brother of the Titanic? I don't get this.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Like the article says, both companies have been tanking. I'd sure hate to see Best Buy as the only game in town for a lot of consumers, but you can't stop the free market from weeding out the weak sisters.:(

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Like the article says, both companies have been tanking. I'd sure hate to see Best Buy as the only game in town for a lot of consumers, but you can't stop the free market from weeding out the weak sisters.:(
That was my reaction to the article, competition for Best Buy, we're lucky down here, we have BrandsMart they sell below BestBuy or Circuit City, I have yet to buy any A/V gear at Best Buy.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
Suckfest?

Great, two companys i hate merging into one giant ball of suck.

/not bitter
//ok maybe a little

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
the mating dance of two dying dinosaurs, unable to adapt to changing conditions.....and the offspring will be sterile

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis