Stephen King Defends Violent Video Games

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I don't know why people don't simply work to enforce the laws already in existence. This seems to especially be the case with respect to the sale of violent video games. Last year it was the uproar over Manhunt 2 which resulted in increased awareness off, and presumably sales of, the video game which depicted an insane asylum escapee's murder rampage. Now Stephen King weighs in as Massachusetts seeks to ban sales of violent video games to those under 18.

Discuss "Stephen King Defends Violent Video Games" here. Read the article.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
As I recall, I had to buy the video games for my son that were rated mature until he turned 18. I don't know if it was a Best Buy policy or if it was dictated from the government or industry association group. I thought the rule was good because I would look over the games rated mature to see the subject matter and decide if I thought it was ok. I never blocked buying a mature game. The rule just gets parents involved in what their kids are playing.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
I have a 6 year old son and a 13 year old daughter and I don't take them to R rated movies nor would I get them a mature video game. The ratings for both mean something and are there for a reason.

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
I've been carded for M rated games at Ccity before, and I'm in my early 20s.

Growing up, I wasn't allowed to see PG-13 movies before I was 13 and I wasn't allowed to see R movies until I was 17 unless I had parent approval. I guess parents are just a little more lazy these days, or both working?

D

Derelict

Audioholic Intern
In the interests of showing the entire message without the anti-gun view being cut I wanted to post this, since not every believes that gun laws are bad.

"What really makes me insane is how eager politicians are to use the pop culture — not just videogames but TV, movies, even Harry Potter — as a whipping boy. It's easy for them, even sort of fun, because the pop-cult always hollers nice and loud. Also, it allows legislators to ignore the elephants in the living room. Elephant One is the ever-deepening divide between the haves and have-nots in this country, a situation guys like Fiddy and Snoop have been indirectly rapping about for years. Elephant Two is America's almost pathological love of guns. It was too easy for critics to claim — falsely, it turned out — that Cho Seung-Hui (the Virginia Tech killer) was a fan of Counter-Strike; I just wish to God that legislators were as eager to point out that this nutball had no problem obtaining a 9mm semiautomatic handgun. Cho used it in a rampage that resulted in the murder of 32 people. If he'd been stuck with nothing but a plastic videogame gun, he wouldn't even have been able to kill himself.

Case closed"

Vagrant Pistol

Vagrant Pistol

Enthusiast
Only the king would, only the king would..... All hail the king

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis