Yamaha RX-V463 5.1 AV Receiver Overview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
At a rock bottom price of only $349.95, the Yamaha RX-V463 is an incredible value for those looking to get into a home theater receiver on the cheap without making a huge sacrifice in quality or features.

Discuss "Yamaha RX-V463 5.1 AV Receiver Overview" here. Read the article.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
OK, you guys are getting a little to effusive in your praise of Yamaha. Given reviews of past Yamaha receivers, shouldn't you wait for some testing to proclaim their power ratings are conservative?

Yamaha has proven a little hit and miss in this area.

Fred

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
only 2 hdmi inputs ?

maybe it's appropriate for this lower end system, but even the $550 Yamaha RX-V663 only has TWO hdmi inputs...

Serious question: Am I wrong to be disqualifing all recievers that do not have at least have three inputs? I have a $80 dvd upscaler with HDMI and the cable box has HDMI, so I'm already completely tapped out on the day I would get a 2 input reciever.

If I add a gaming system, or something else in the future - still a pretty basic system in my opinion - I'm already having to make compromises and down grade something to component.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
OK, you guys are getting a little to effusive in your praise of Yamaha. Given reviews of past Yamaha receivers, shouldn't you wait for some testing to proclaim their power ratings are conservative?

Yamaha has proven a little hit and miss in this area.

Fred
I believe my wording was "it is not unreasonable to think this little receiver will beat its rated specs" I did not say that it would. You are reading too much into that sentence I think. Also, Yamaha has been VERY conservative with their power ratings. I think you should go back and read the benchmarks on the RX-V line of receivers.

H

Hurricane

Audiophyte
What about MPCM ? Blu Ray audio support ?

Hello,

Early DVD/DD adopter, I finally decided to switch to HD.

I've got a TV (Sharp XL2E) and a blu-ray decoder (PS3).

Now I would like a decoder (amp ? receiver ?) connected to them (along with the 360, the PC, the DVD recorder, ...) but I'm a bit lost about the codecs the amp has to support. (MPCM ? True DTS ? ... )
Is this RX-V463 the right product for me ? Is it much better than the RX-V461 ?

Sometimes it looks these decoders are a bit overkill. (Handling video ? Upscaling ? I don't understand : most current players and TVs do a good job at upscaling.) So I'm not even sure it's the right kind of product for me. (Sound/stream in, decode/mix, sound out, speakers. Am I over simplistic ?)

Thanks in advance for your answers.

PS:

It seems the RX-V461 and RX-V463 are not the same in every country (I'm in Europe)
From Yamaha's web site for Europe (the main land, not UK) I got a link that compared the V461 and V463 (I've been unable to post the URL)

They both have HDMI (2 in, 1 out) (I don't know which version though ...)

Both supports:
Dolby Pro-Logic
Dolby Pro-Logic II
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital EX
DTS Digital Surround

The V461 additionally supports:
DTS-ES

None of them supports:
Digital ToP-ART
Dolby Pro-Logic IIx
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Digital TrueHD
DTS Neo:6
DTS-ES Discrete
DTS 96/24
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio

I'm drowning in codecs.

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
maybe it's appropriate for this lower end system, but even the $550 Yamaha RX-V663 only has TWO hdmi inputs...

Serious question: Am I wrong to be disqualifing all recievers that do not have at least have three inputs? I have a $80 dvd upscaler with HDMI and the cable box has HDMI, so I'm already completely tapped out on the day I would get a 2 input reciever.

If I add a gaming system, or something else in the future - still a pretty basic system in my opinion - I'm already having to make compromises and down grade something to component.

why would component be a down grade for anything other than 1080P, there is no pq loss with component over hdmi for hd or sd and sometimes an improvement with sd. At the price of this budget receiver manufactures assume the inputs and features are proportionate. If it is a major concern for hdmi, a 40 switch can be gotten.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lazarus18

Audiophyte
I have older Yamaha model - V461, but there is something very annoying. When I connect my HD-DVD player via HDMI I only get sound on my TV but not on my speakers. I have to use one more cable /optical/ to get sound.
Do you know if there is the same problem with V463 model?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

The only advantage in running the sat box through the receiver is processing the audio over HDMI (unless the receiver has very good scaling, but any receiver with very good scaling has at least three HDMI inputs). Since Sat. doesn't support high resolution audio yet you could just use the box's digital audio output and send the HDMI directly to the display, or use component as it should have no disadvantage with Sat. programming. That leaves you open to use the second HDMI input on the receiver for another source should you choose to add it. The same as above could be said for the DVD player, excluding the use of component as the players won't scale using anything but HDMI.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I was hoping for a review of the RX-V663 but I guess since there is already a 463 and an 863 review, I won't be getting my wishes anytime soon.

G

gensler323

Audiophyte
now do all of the new yamaha x63 series pass audio via HDMI? or just the 563 and up?

C

crackpipe

Enthusiast
I have older Yamaha model - V461, but there is something very annoying. When I connect my HD-DVD player via HDMI I only get sound on my TV but not on my speakers. I have to use one more cable /optical/ to get sound.
Do you know if there is the same problem with V463 model?

The V461 is video pass-thru only.

J

jtlf85

Audiophyte
Just bought the yamaha RX-V463

Hi guys, its my first post and its about this reciever. I just bought this reciever and still havent installed. I currently have a PS3 (HDMI), Cable Box (RCA), HD-DVD (HDMI), Satellite Reciever (Component). My question is the following, When i connect everything does it send the signal out of the reciever to the tv through the HDMI or Every input thats not hdmi need another output thats not hdmi? Ex. The ps3 ill conect it through the HDMI input in the reciever and output it to the tv through the hdmi output, the component cables of the sat reciever go in the reciever, do i have to concect an output for the reciever with another component cable or does it go out through the hdmi to the tv also? thanks!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis