WiFi Hotspots About to Go Global?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
An interesting turn of events this week showed how some companies may change the way we think about connecting to the Internet in public places. Currently, users have to search out dedicated Wi-Fi hotspots such as those found in bookstores or coffee shops (but I repeat myself). With the new software by TapRoot Systems, Inc up to 5 users could connect to the Internet through a Wi-Fi-enabled 3G mobile phone.

Discuss "WiFi Hotspots About to Go Global?" here. Read the article.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
An interesting turn of events this week showed how some companies may change the way we think about connecting to the Internet in public places. Currently, users have to search out dedicated Wi-Fi hotspots such as those found in bookstores or coffee shops (but I repeat myself). With the new software by TapRoot Systems, Inc up to 5 users could connect to the Internet through a Wi-Fi-enabled 3G mobile phone.

Discuss "WiFi Hotspots About to Go Global?" here. Read the article.
I like the concept. I wouldn't want strangers using my phone as there access point. What would this do to the battery levels of the phones being jumped off of? What other potential issues are there for the host phone to encounter?

Jack

I like the hole "mesh" concept of it. I'd love for everywhere to simply be a big "hot spot". If every phone did it, the siphoning amount would be minimal at best - and they could block the bandwidth hogs out easily enough. Privacy is of little concern since the access could be spearated from the phone features.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
...If every phone did it, the siphoning amount would be minimal at best - and they could block the bandwidth hogs out easily enough.
Unless your phone is the only one or one of few in range of their computer. Again, I worry about the phone battery being sucked dry.
I still like the idea though.

Jack

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis