Format War Pricing Aftermath: Blu-ray Up, HD-DVD Down

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The long awaited end to the format war may help consumers by clearing up some confusion created by choice in HD optical discs, but it is not bringing about better pricing to the consumer. Based on price comparison research performed by TG Daily, the demise of HD-DVD and the industry charge to embrace Blu-ray Disc (BD) does not seem to be increasing market competitiveness that invariably should lead to reduced prices. Worse, current prices for players on the market are not just stagnating, but are actually drifting back up.

Discuss "Format War Pricing Aftermath: Blu-ray Up, HD-DVD Down" here. Read the article.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
What a dumb article.

??? :confused:

Are you for real? This is Audioholics. The mods and editors write articles about electronics. That is precisely what Mr. Waratuke has done, and has compiled a graph with research to back up his story. If you wish to contradict anything written in the story, please tell me you have something more to state than: "What a dumb article." Please.

J

JackT

Audioholic
If you wish to contradict anything written in the story, please tell me you have something more to state than: "What a dumb article." Please.
Ok sure!. The basic gist of the article is that Blu-ray player prices are "too high" whatever that means, and this somehow is indicative of nefarious anti-market forces, specifically the operation of a "cartel."

Here is one reason why the article is dumb: the same whining nonsense could have been written about

-VHS players in 1978. (Crappy VHS still expensive? CARTEL! The market is broken!)
-CD players in 1984. (Too expensive! The consumer will never adopt these! Run for the hills FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!)
-DVD players in 1997. (Players still cost too much!! CAPITALISM NOT WORKING!!!)
-MP3 players in 1998. (How much for a crappy 512MB???? PRICE FIXING AT WORK!!! CONSUMER GETTING screwed!!!)

Seriously, what did the author, who, as you helpfully pointed out, is a professional AV article writer, expect to happen to the price of BR players after the elimination of HD-DVD? I'm guessing BR player manufacturers expected an INCREASE IN DEMAND subsequent to:
1)Increased market share and
2)Decreased disincentive to buy due to format war uncertainty.

So, there is a price bump, and the author posts a ridiculous graph with a line through it, and we are supposed to conclude something is wrong? Really?

Since you asked for explanations, here is one more reason why the article is dumb: the author couldn't help throwing in a little gratuitous "the wrong format won" hand wringing.

But, I figured all of this would be self-evident to any reader, so I just said "This article is dumb."

How's that?

Last edited:
J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Ok sure!. The basic gist of the article is that Blu-ray player prices are "too high" whatever that means, and this somehow is indicative of nefarious anti-market forces, specifically the operation of a "cartel."

Here is one reason why the article is dumb: the same whining nonsense could have been written about

-VHS players in 1978. (Crappy VHS still expensive? CARTEL! The market is broken!)
-CD players in 1984. (Too expensive! The consumer will never adopt these! Run for the hills FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!)
-DVD players in 1997. (Players still cost to much!! CAPITALISM NOT WORKING!!!)
-MP3 players in 1998. (How much for a crappy 512MB???? PRICE FIXING AT WORK!!! CONSUMER GETTING screwed!!!)

Seriously, what did the author, who, as you helpfully pointed out, is a professional AV article writer, expect to happen to the price of BR players after the elimination of HD-DVD? I'm guessing BR player manufacturers expected an INCREASE IN DEMAND subsequent to:
2)Decreased disincentive to buy do to format war uncertainty.

So, there is a price bump, and the author posts a ridiculous graph with a line through it, and we are supposed to conclude something is wrong? Really?

Since you asked for explanations, here is one more reason why the article is dumb: the author couldn't help throwing in a little gratuitous "the wrong format won" hand wringing.

But, I figured all of this would be self-evident to any reader, so I just said "This article is dumb."

How's that?
Well, that's a little more descriptive Jack, albeit in a seemingly spiteful manner. ;)

I hear what you're saying, and some subjectivity invariably enters the equation. Judges do it. Writers do it. Reviewers do it. That does not undo the facts.

And this is pertinent. I myself am a newb to high def. I would not have gotten into it but for the price slashing of HD hardware and software. The only way I would ever consider BD is if their prices too were slashed...and I don't think I'm alone on that.

I see your point, but the little bit of inserted subjectivity in no way undoes the facts, nor slants the story to be pure fodder. Not to me. And, imho, nothing is "self-evident." Nothing. That is a myth. Cheers, John

L

lonwa

Audioholic Intern
It just sounds like Jack is not having a good day. Don't be too hard on him though, this week has been kicking my butt (I blame the DST time change...)

:)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
It just sounds like Jack is not having a good day. Don't be too hard on him though, this week has been kicking my butt (I blame the DST time change...)

You may be right. Then I wish you and Jack a better tomorrow. :)

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
And lets not forget - editorials are SUPPOSED to be subjective...

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Ahhh. The voice of reason. Happy day birdonthebeach. :)

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Yes, you hit the nail on the head.

sub·jec·tive /səbˈdʒɛktɪv/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[suhb-jek-tiv] –adjective
1. existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought (opposed to objective).
2. pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.
3. placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, you hit the nail on the head.
Wow. You're not suggesting this lies entirely within Mr. Waratuke's mind are you? The subjective part is for a little flavor, and the story is not tantamount to pure sophistry. It is largely fact.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Wow. You're not suggesting this lies entirely within Mr. Waratuke's mind are you? The subjective part is for a little flavor, and the story is not tantamount to pure sophistry. It is largely fact.
No, it is sensationalism. Learn to spot the difference. Remove yourself from your emotional attachment to HD DVD for just two minutes and you'll see how contrived this analysis is.

J

JackT

Audioholic

Heh, it takes me a few months to adjust to the spring ahead one.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
No, it is sensationalism. Learn to spot the difference. Remove yourself from your emotional attachment to HD DVD for just two minutes and you'll see how contrived this analysis is.
I do not get emotional with electronics. ;)

Sensational? Emotional? Contrived?

Who's not looking at this objectively? The story is fact based, and is itself largely factual. Your failure to interpret that lies within yourself. :eek:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
-DVD players in 1997. (Players still cost too much!! CAPITALISM NOT WORKING!!!)

I'm guessing BR player manufacturers expected an INCREASE IN DEMAND subsequent to:
2)Decreased disincentive to buy due to format war uncertainty.

How's that?
I think you are right, that's how the rule of supply and demand works. DVD and CD players did not get widely accepted until their prices became affordable by the middle class. BD is going to follow the same path except that the path will be more difficult, unless it is cut short, meaning rapid price drop. Reason being is, the PQ improvement (perceived) between DVD and VHS is far greater than that between DVD and BD. On a 42 inch or smaller screen, most people don't see the need to pay $449 for an entry level Sony BD. In other words, to many people, anything beyond 480p is approaching the point of diminishing return even though theoretically there is a huge jump from 480 to 1080. This is even more true on the audio side, most people are quite happy with plain 5.1 let alone DTS6.1. The format itself also has a lot to do with it, there is a huge physical difference between Video/Audio cassette tapes and the disc. BD offers no advantage in terms of the physical format.

Last edited:
D

Dezoris

Audioholic
You will only hear the HDDVD adopters crying about Blu-Ray prices.
(Some Audioholics staff)
They went with Microsoft and got the shaft, should have known better.

Secondly the PS3 price has gone down which should be the only first generation BluRay player anyone should buy until we have 2.0 spec standalone players being sold off the shelf.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
You will only hear the HDDVD adopters crying about Blu-Ray prices.
(Some Audioholics staff)
They went with Microsoft and got the shaft, should have known better.

Secondly the PS3 price has gone down which should be the only first generation BluRay player anyone should buy until we have 2.0 spec standalone players being sold off the shelf.
Crying? Sheesh. You guys are emotionally wrought.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I am not remotely interested in BD until the hardware and software becomes reasonably priced, and nor do I believe is the mass market. Boo-hoo. :p

A

alexsound

Audioholic
The long awaited end to the format war may help consumers by clearing up some confusion created by choice in HD optical discs, but it is not bringing about better pricing to the consumer. Based on price comparison research performed by TG Daily, the demise of HD-DVD and the industry charge to embrace Blu-ray Disc (BD) does not seem to be increasing market competitiveness that invariably should lead to reduced prices. Worse, current prices for players on the market are not just stagnating, but are actually drifting back up.

Discuss "Format War Pricing Aftermath: Blu-ray Up, HD-DVD Down" here. Read the article.

I don't know if this is necessarily a "dumb article" but certainly premature in it's judgement. Upward pricing? No market competitiveness? It's been LESS than a month since Toshiba made their announcement to kill HD-DVD. If the "graph" is the same a year from now, then this article would be relavent. At this point in time, this article comes across as just sour grapes. Honestly, the market is just beginning to react to the BD win. Give it some time before passing judgement.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know if this is necessarily a "dumb article" but certainly premature in it's judgement. Upward pricing? No market competitiveness? It's been LESS than a month since Toshiba made their announcement to kill HD-DVD. If the "graph" is the same a year from now, then this article would be relavent. At this point in time, this article comes across as just sour grapes. Honestly, the market is just beginning to react to the BD win. Give it some time before passing judgement.
Well, it's practically a "quarterly report" for BD. It draws data from the first of the year, and is it's now mid March, we are almost at the end of the quarter. I take it for what it's worth, and see no misrepresentation.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Well, it's practically a "quarterly report" for BD. It draws data from the first of the year, and is it's now mid March, we are almost at the end of the quarter. I take it for what it's worth, and see no misrepresentation.
You say this, yet not an hour ago acknowledged in another thread that the pricing changes between January and March are "perhaps" normal for a/v products.

Which is it? The misrepresentation is glaringly obvious.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis