AVRant #49: Explicit 24p

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Clint and Tom tackle a bunch of questions from you. Ken, Rick, Cliff and Ed… thanks for the questions. What's the deal with Blu-ray Profile 1.1 and 2.0 and receivers that decode internally? How does bass management work with Blu-ray out over HDMI? Ever think about soundproofing a room? What does THX stand for? We can't promise you'll know by the end of this Podcast. Do receivers all sound the same? Is 24p important? Listen in for all this and more!

Discuss "AVRant #49: Explicit 24p" here. Listen to the Podcast.

Visit AVRant

Help AVRant grow - DON'T forget to vote for us on podcastalley.com!

M

mattburk

Audioholic Intern
Have to disagree with the "sound difference" between receiver types. I have purchased around 10 yamahas in the last 5 years and around 7 marantz. On music the yamaha's are brighter. I wanted to like them better than the marantz because I think they are better for ht, but the two channel starts to hurt.
My friend worked at good guys and frys, we would oftern a/b the avrs on two channel, the difference is there.

I do think that the average guy will not notice a difference on low end speakers, especially in ht.

On the marantz remote, you can change the aux1 to "cable" not the button of course.

Yeah, we were making fun of the button... The text can be changed on the display which is nice (but potentially confusing unless you have a separate unversal remote.)

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Hey apparently Tom is gay. Spread the word out! haha

I disagree on the sound differences too. To me, NAD, HK and Marantz sound better, warmer. All are very close but they add a little something of their own. I'm not a hardcore audiophile but I really can perceive a difference. I don't need any graphs to show that. Went with the Yammie anyways! (sale) :p

That thing on S-video and composite inputs on receivers made me laugh out loud seriously. I was showing the back of the receiver to my gf the other day and she asked: How do yo manage to understand all of this?! Well in fact, I only need HDMI connections and speaker outs. Every other output is useless.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis