Yamaha RX-Z11 HDMI 1.3a 11.2 Channel A/V Receiver Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Yamaha RX-Z11 represents the pinnacle of technology in a flagship receiver. It’s ability to transform your listening space into a concert venue or mega Cineplex is unrivaled thanks to the powerful arsenal of DSP processing and multi speaker configuration capabilities and robust well designed amplifier section. With its very clever power amp assignability and music mode distribution, it proved to be the ultimate multi channel / multi zone receiver capable of whole house entertainment. The RX-Z11 is a very complex sophisticated piece of A/V hardware and is NOT a product for someone looking for simplicity and ease of setup but instead looking for state of the art performance that does all of the latest in HD audio and video decoding and treats music, multi-channel music and movies with equal measure. The RX-Z11 has earned the crown of flagship status and is a worthy successor to the venerable RX-Z9.

Discuss "Yamaha RX-Z11 HDMI 1.3a 11.2 Channel A/V Receiver Review " here. Read the article.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, the iron core power transformer was not expected. It looks like it means business. A few of Yamaha's passed flagship receivers featured massive iron core transformers. They aren't typically pretty, but that one sure is.:D

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
Way…WAY out of my league but interesting review.

One sentence/word you may want to look at on the Bass Management page is “Yamaha also providsions for subwoofer output…”

Thanks for your reviews and looking forward to your thoughts on the Emotiva XPA-5.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the excellent review.
Thats one fine AVR!
I'm a Yamaha fan to the bone.:D
Kelly

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
Having 2 HDMI outputs is great. Many people use a projector and a tv in the same room. Or you can run the second HDMI output to another room. This should be standard on all receivers.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
is it possible to ake out a 20yr mortage on this? I want one!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now that is a very excellent and thorough review!

That's what I expect from a $5K receiver!:D

I have just one question though. I noticed the crosstalk measurement is for the AMP section, but what about the PREAMP section?

So is the crosstalk just for the amp section, or is it for the ENTIRE unit (pream + amp)?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
is it possible to ake out a 20yr mortage on this? I want one!!
Hey, just wait for the new Denon separates review. Then you can take a 40 yr mortgage.:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, just wait for the new Denon separates review. Then you can take a 40 yr mortgage.:D
They can take $14,000 and cram it, they are not worth the price. Even if the combo where $10,000 I would still feel it was overpriced.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have just one question though. I noticed the crosstalk measurement is for the AMP section, but what about the PREAMP section?

So is the crosstalk just for the amp section, or is it for the ENTIRE unit (pream + amp)?
Yes since I was feeding the signals into the preamp. Its the entire chain of the receiver. This is an excellent measurement and usually typical of mono block amp designs not 11CH receivers!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes since I was feeding the signals into the preamp. Its the entire chain of the receiver. This is an excellent measurement and usually typical of mono block amp designs not 11CH receivers!
Wow. This is one huge plus for the receivers camp!

Seriously the best and most thoroughly detailed receiver review I have ever seen!

Many excellent stereo preamps don't even have numbers like that. Amazing!

Definitely destroys the notion that separates are better than receivers.

This is one case where the receiver is better than many separates.:D

If my separates should ever die on me, I will most likely buy one of these receivers now.

I can't wait for the review of the new Denon separates and hopefully the new Denon 5308 or 4308.:D

Last edited:
BobMac

BobMac

Enthusiast
Another Reciever with Two Sub Outputs

Is there another (cheaper) receiver with two sub outputs that can be independently configured?

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Great review as always.

It's too bad that they're still having problems with the YPAO system. Very disappointed with the video scaler as well. I can understand why there are a lot of return from early buyers.

Denon 5308CI seems to be better appreciated. Hopping for a review from Gene soon.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It's too bad that they're still having problems with the YPAO system. Very disappointed with the video scaler as well. I can understand why there are a lot of return from early buyers.
Actually the video scalar on the RX-Z11 is one of the best we've tested. Although it didn't pass all HQV tests, it did quite well for real world performance.

Denon 5308CI seems to be better appreciated. Hopping for a review from Gene soon.
Review samples have been hard to come by with Denon products lately. Hopefully when their done sending units to the Robb Report and Playboy magazine we will get a sample :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Review samples have been hard to come by with Denon products lately. Hopefully when their done sending units to the Robb Report and Playboy magazine we will get a sample :D
What? People actually READ Playboy? Denon would send the 5308 to Playboy before Audioholics? What is this world coming to?:D

R

russ_l

Audioholic Intern
Typical

They can take $14,000 and cram it, they are not worth the price. Even if the combo where $10,000 I would still feel it was overpriced.
....not worth the price:confused: And this is based on you hearing the two units in a system worthy of their quality?

Note that if the two pieces of equipment were from Meridian, Theta, Lexicon, et al, they would probably be priced at $20K - $30K. Listen first, then render your opinion please.

Russ

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, after Gene's thorough review of the Yamaha Z11, I can't wait for the Denon Pre/Pro review. If the Denon separates can actually top the Z11, I will have to retract every negative remark I've made regarding the Denons and praise the heck out of it. Shoot if the street price on the pre/pre were to go down to $4,000, I might even buy one. But we have to wait fore Gene's review before making any more comments about the new Denon separates.

majorloser

majorloser

Man, if you recommend this for a +500 ft^2 room with ceilings of 10 ft or more (+5,000 ft^3), then there goes just about every room except a two car garage or small aircraft hanger. :eek:

Not for any normal house on the market, that's for sure.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Awesome review, but one question

The review states on the System Setup page, "Of course on this receiver HDMI is endowed with 5 inputs..." but I can only find 4 inputs and 2 outputs. Am I missing something?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
The review states on the System Setup page, "Of course on this receiver HDMI is endowed with 5 inputs..." but I can only find 4 inputs and 2 outputs. Am I missing something?
Maybe behind the front panel?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis