MPA Wins China DVD Lawsuit

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Walt Disney Pictures, 20th Century Fox, Columbia Pictures, Universal Pictures and Paramount Pictures sued Beijing Jeboo Interactive Science & Technology Co. in Shanghai late last year for supplying Internet cafes with computer software that allowed users to download and watch unauthorized movies. In the initial lawsuit, the studios demanded an “official apology” and compensation totaling more than 3.2 million yuan ($433,000). Jeboo runs their associated online movie website which is the largest online cinema in China and has network copyrights to more than 30,000 films and television programs.20 Hollywood movies were involved in the suit, including Hitch and Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest, the Motion Picture Association (MPA) said according to an AP report.

Discuss "MPA Wins China DVD Lawsuit" here. Read the article.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
All they asked for was $433,000.00! And an apology?!! If that would have been here in the states: Multi-million dollar fine and jail time. They know they're lucky if they get half of that and don't get kicked out of the country or thrown in jail themselves, for stagnating the People's Economy!:D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Good. The article states that 90% of DVD's in China are pirated. That cost actually gets passed on to the paying consumer in lost revenue, keeping the msrp of DVD's artificially high. Score one for the MPA.

These are the people that the MPA should go after... Unfortunately, I imagine they can only prosecute in China if the Chinese government thinks it won't hurt their economy.

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
I just want to make that picture my avatar. Please. :D

Mike

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
These are the people that the MPA should go after... Unfortunately, I imagine they can only prosecute in China if the Chinese government thinks it won't hurt their economy.
Yes, but many Chinese companies do business outside of China. I think these should be targeted when necessary. If the U.S. government were willing to take the necessary steps, there would be more than enough pressure to practically end the Chinese pirating problem. Unfortunately, the U.S. government is full of people who have been bribed—I mean, given legitimate campaign contributions ("a rose by any other name...")—by large corporations that have an interest in preventing such steps from taking place, as it would "interfere with free trade".

It is the same with concerns about human rights violations: the U.S. government is only concerned about it when having such concern does not harm business interests. And, of course, has the greatest concern about it when it harms business interests.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
...That cost actually gets passed on to the paying consumer in lost revenue, keeping the msrp of DVD's artificially high. Score one for the MPA.
Yes, but you think the price per DVD will drop because of this case?;)

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
You have to realize that China is not the US, people there don't think or feel the same way we do about things, especially the government. The leadership there knows they have roughly a third of the world population and that many companies want to do business with them, and that if the government tells them no, that's it, they're out.

In Chinese culture "saving face" is a big issue. And that's exactly why the $ amount requested was so low. To allow the goverment to "save face" for allowing pirating to occur. If they felt they were being insulted for not being in control of these things, it could ruin the chances of the legitimate movies ever becoming mainstream.

Though it sounds silly and messed up from our perspective, you need to remember that regardless of what you may think is right or wrong, China is still a communist country and they are not fully concerned with our laws. That said, they still want our money. It's a delicate situation dealing with China.

The Government is fully embarrassed by the constant quality control issues that we take for granted that they've been experiencing lately. From Heparin to lead paint in childrens toys to ethyl glycol in toothpaste. The list goes on and on. Yet China is a potential gold mine for companies. So they keep doing business there. If these issues can be worked out with Government being able to save face, the studios know they can make huge profits, so they persist.

Jack

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You have to realize that China is not the US, people there don't think or feel the same way we do about things, especially the government. The leadership there knows they have roughly a third of the world population and that many companies want to do business with them, and that if the government tells them no, that's it, they're out.

In Chinese culture "saving face" is a big issue. And that's exactly why the $ amount requested was so low. To allow the goverment to "save face" for allowing pirating to occur. If they felt they were being insulted for not being in control of these things, it could ruin the chances of the legitimate movies ever becoming mainstream.

Though it sounds silly and messed up from our perspective, you need to remember that regardless of what you may think is right or wrong, China is still a communist country and they are not fully concerned with our laws. That said, they still want our money. It's a delicate situation dealing with China.

The Government is fully embarrassed by the constant quality control issues that we take for granted that they've been experiencing lately. From Heparin to lead paint in childrens toys to ethyl glycol in toothpaste. The list goes on and on. Yet China is a potential gold mine for companies. So they keep doing business there. If these issues can be worked out with Government being able to save face, the studios know they can make huge profits, so they persist.

Jack
Thats a good summary Jack

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Jack
Yes, but this is not the first time they have pirated. So, how can they save face when it is an ongoing issue and not getting smaller.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yes, but this is not the first time they have pirated. So, how can they save face when it is an ongoing issue and not getting smaller.
That's especially where they need to save face. Basically China has been inefectual at controlling or limiting the amount of piracy going on (among many other problems). They want major companies to feel that they are making a strong effort to improve the situation.

Doing business in China is not as simple as here where you can just go lease a spot and get a business license and you are on your way. There the government has to approve of what you do and essentially becomes a partner. Compainies also need the Chinese governments permission to take money out of the country, you cant just wire your profits back to the States. Look at what McDonald's had to go through to open up shop on Beijing (look for what happened to the Mayor when he tried to muscle Mcd). None of it pretty.

Jack

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis