Yamaha RX-V863 AV Receiver Overview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Yamaha RX-V863 is the top of the new line offering from Yamaha. It sports HDMI 1.3 inputs, internal decoding of all the latest HD audio formats, 1080p analogue video upconversion, and two subwoofer outputs. All the bells and whistles include and HD radio tuner, 7x105 watts, and no less that 17 surround modes. All that and more for just under $1k!

Discuss "Yamaha RX-V863 AV Receiver Overview" here. Read the article.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
Is there an update coming for the 1800 and 3800 for 7.2 support?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Is there an update coming for the 1800 and 3800 for 7.2 support?
Doubt it since Yamaha doesn't update their receivers that much and the 1800 and 3800 are practically brand new.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
The RX-V663 still looks like a much better deal.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
so does the .2 outputs have separate distance settings?
or like the Z11 have stereo sub capability?

or is it just mono-mono?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The RX-V663 still looks like a much better deal.
It is a better deal in my opinion as well. For crying out loud, they use the same amplifier. The RX-V863 adds an HDMI port, HD radio, and maybe a few other features (nothing that should warrant the $300-$400 price increase, think Onkyo TX-SR805 vs. TX-SR875).

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

or is it just mono-mono?
that is an excellent question and I was wondering that myself. I suspect they are NOT independent outputs since they aren't color coded but I will ask Yamaha.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic

or is it just mono-mono?
Just what I was thinking myself. So I guess I'll just wait to see wat gene finds out from Yamaha.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai

or is it just mono-mono?
After a quick look at the manual, it does not appear to differentiate between the two subs in any way.
Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but what makes this better than simply splitting the sub's signal externally?

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
After a quick look at the manual, it does not appear to differentiate between the two subs in any way.
Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but what makes this better than simply splitting the sub's signal externally?
If you split the signal externally, you are getting, and this is just a basic stab at this some of the others could probably add the more technical side of it, half strength signal to each woofer whereas each channel on a 2 speaker output would be receiving it's own signal lessening the likelyhood of signal loss or degradation. Hope this helps.

Mike

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
If you split the signal externally, you are getting, and this is just a basic stab at this some of the others could probably add the more technical side of it, half strength signal to each woofer whereas each channel on a 2 speaker output would be receiving it's own signal lessening the likelyhood of signal loss or degradation. Hope this helps.

Mike

That really isn't quite true. Splitting a low level signal such as a pre-amplified one isn't the same as splitting an amplified one.
My question wasn't meant to be completely rhetorical but it seems Yamaha's claim to a X.2 receiver is a bit misleading. I'm wondering if this is the case of if I'm missing something here.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
if the receiver does not distinguish the two outputs. then no, there's barely any difference splitting inside and outside the receiver.

Mike
except maybe this. e.g. if the voltage clean output of a single pre-out is 9v and your subs required more, you'd get clipping signals. but if there were two and both had max clean capability of 9v ...

nastynick

Audiophyte
New Yammy 863/663!

I was happy to get the notice from Yamaha a few days ago about these units coming out and the price and features on the 663 are good and will keep Yamaha in the ball game as far as quality and afford ability to the budget conscience consumers, especially those who want to upgrade to the new HD audio codecs and not get into a huge issue with the spouse about why do you need a new receiver? But when I started reading about the two new units and looking at them I thought that Yamaha was going a little too cheap. The wattage outputs aren't that hot matter of fact I was disappointed in them. The power cable looks cheap, why isnt it detachable? For 400 bucks more and the only real addition is HD radio and an HDMI input?? What kind of scaler are they using? $400 more and one would think at least ABT or Reon would be listed. But, I cant find anything specified.
And as far as the second sub out if the YPAO isnt using it to make seperate sub assignments or decoding for 7.2 audio then isnt it the same as just hooking up another sub to the first one as a line out? My JBL sub has a line out for that reason to connect a second sub in series. I dont see the big deal for 2 sub outs other wise. Dont get me wrong I love my Yammy 795A I have to of them in my house and am looking for a new reciever for the new HDMI HD codecs but still cant decide. Right now Onkyo or Integra are in the lead for me. Any thoughts?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I was happy to get the notice from Yamaha a few days ago about these units coming out and the price and features on the 663 are good and will keep Yamaha in the ball game as far as quality and afford ability to the budget conscience consumers, especially those who want to upgrade to the new HD audio codecs and not get into a huge issue with the spouse about why do you need a new receiver? But when I started reading about the two new units and looking at them I thought that Yamaha was going a little too cheap. The wattage outputs aren't that hot matter of fact I was disappointed in them. The power cable looks cheap, why isnt it detachable? For 400 bucks more and the only real addition is HD radio and an HDMI input?? What kind of scaler are they using? $400 more and one would think at least ABT or Reon would be listed. But, I cant find anything specified.
And as far as the second sub out if the YPAO isnt using it to make seperate sub assignments or decoding for 7.2 audio then isnt it the same as just hooking up another sub to the first one as a line out? My JBL sub has a line out for that reason to connect a second sub in series. I dont see the big deal for 2 sub outs other wise. Dont get me wrong I love my Yammy 795A I have to of them in my house and am looking for a new reciever for the new HDMI HD codecs but still cant decide. Right now Onkyo or Integra are in the lead for me. Any thoughts?
Here's the problems with the Onkyo/Integra stuff...

The Onkyo TX-SR605 does not feature preouts, as the RX-V663 does. The Onkyo has reported issues with popping and general HDMI issues. Many claim that the TX-SR605 doesn't sound that good (I have a hard time believing that). The TX-SR605 does not feature a scaler.

The Onkyo TX-SR705 is a jump up in price and adds preouts, it still has no scaler. It adds some connectivity as well. I haven't heard much about this model concerning SQ or HDMI issues.

The Onkyo TX-SR805 is a mamoth receiver but has arguably mamoth problems. It produces a lot of heat (as does the Integra DTR-7.8). The heat issue could cause the receiver to break down quicker as well as other components on your AV rack affected by the heat it produces. I hear the TX-SR805 has a scaler but it's hidden, it's not likely that most people will be using it (it is not mentioned in the user manual apparently).

In regards to your concerns about the "wattages", they probably aren't necessary. The highly aclaimed Yamaha RX-V659 was reputable for it's stellar amplifier performance for the price. The Yamaha RX-V663 and RX-V863 both use this same amplifier. Quite simply, if you don't need those extra digital inputs, additional HDMI input, and the HD radio, go with the RX-V663. I believe they both use an older version of an ABT scaler.

Yamaha and Denon both have good track records of having good HDMI handshaking and functionality, Onkyo/Integra are a bit less reputable in this regard.

You will spend over $1000 to get a Reon HQV scaler in a receiver, fact is you are better off getting an Oppo or an HD DVD player on the cheap to scale your old DVDs. The PS3 is a good scaling player as well.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
863 & 1800 • HDMI Up Conversion(Scale to 480p / 720p / 1080i / 1080p)
Not 663

863 is 2 more pounds then the 663.
Does any of this matter?

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Here's the problems with the Onkyo/Integra stuff...

The Onkyo TX-SR605 does not feature preouts, as the RX-V663 does. The Onkyo has reported issues with popping and general HDMI issues. Many claim that the TX-SR605 doesn't sound that good (I have a hard time believing that). The TX-SR605 does not feature a scaler.

The Onkyo TX-SR705 is a jump up in price and adds preouts, it still has no scaler. It adds some connectivity as well. I haven't heard much about this model concerning SQ or HDMI issues.

The Onkyo TX-SR805 is a mamoth receiver but has arguably mamoth problems. It produces a lot of heat (as does the Integra DTR-7.8). The heat issue could cause the receiver to break down quicker as well as other components on your AV rack affected by the heat it produces. I hear the TX-SR805 has a scaler but it's hidden, it's not likely that most people will be using it (it is not mentioned in the user manual apparently).

In regards to your concerns about the "wattages", they probably aren't necessary. The highly aclaimed Yamaha RX-V659 was reputable for it's stellar amplifier performance for the price. The Yamaha RX-V663 and RX-V863 both use this same amplifier. Quite simply, if you don't need those extra digital inputs, additional HDMI input, and the HD radio, go with the RX-V663. I believe they both use an older version of an ABT scaler.

Yamaha and Denon both have good track records of having good HDMI handshaking and functionality, Onkyo/Integra are a bit less reputable in this regard.

You will spend over $1000 to get a Reon HQV scaler in a receiver, fact is you are better off getting an Oppo or an HD DVD player on the cheap to scale your old DVDs. The PS3 is a good scaling player as well.
I know this is audioholics, not videoholics, but people probably want to scale more than just DVD's. Many people want to scale standard definition (which most multichannels are despite carriage agreements by Dish, Direct, etc.) cable/satellite content since the scalers in most set top boxes suck beyond suckiness. The Reon (and the 4 HDMI inputs) in the Onkyo TX-SR875 is very inviting to me for just this reason.

http://www.onkyousa.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Receiver

The TX-SR605 does have a scaler. It's not a great scaler. Moreover, it's very selective about which port it wants to use. Plus it works in the reverse direction for 1080i analog. :rolleyes:

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr605-black/4505-6466_7-32430579.html?tag=prod.txt.1

I couldn't see what scaling tech Yammy is using, either.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=567570&CTID=5000300&RLTID=1504&DETYP=RELATION

that is an excellent question and I was wondering that myself. I suspect they are NOT independent outputs since they aren't color coded but I will ask Yamaha.
Gene, like Nick I want to know what type of scaler they are using as well. Might you ask them that? Thanks.

For useful Karma whoring :p, it appears that the Yammy RX-V863 is equivalent to:

Onkyo TX-SR805
Denon err... something between the AVR-2808CI and the AVR-3808CI :confused:
Pioneer VSX-92TXH
Marantz even more confused since they have a SR-4002 that has 3 HDMI inputs but doesn't decode high res audio codecs and an everything but the kitchen sink SR-7002 w/ 4 HDMI inputs that does
Harman Kardon :confused:
Sony -- just kidding

F

fredk

Audioholic General
I wonder if scaling is as much of an issue as it was even a year ago. I am using an HTPC and the integrated graphics (amd 690g) do very good scaling: more than good enough for me. It seems to me that the qulaity of scalers in general had greatly improved in the last two years.

As to how it compares to other receivers, I think that depends on what type of speaker you are using and how good the amp stage on the 663 really is.

I am looking at 4 ohm speakers. I know there are a number of people using the 2808/3808 to drive 4ohm loads and the Denons have no problems handling that.

For an 8ohm speaker, I would agree with you, the 663 is one heck of a value!!

So, audioholics reviewers, any chance you might look under the hood on this receiver to tell us how much oomph it has? :D :rolleyes: :D pretty pretty please...

Fred

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
863 & 1800 • HDMI Up Conversion(Scale to 480p / 720p / 1080i / 1080p)
Not 663

863 is 2 more pounds then the 663.
Does any of this matter?
According to the manuals, the 863 weighs the same as the 663, but its shipping weight is heavier.

desjardins

desjardins

Audiophyte
HDMI Switching with Repeating?

Does it support HDMI V1.3 Switching with V1.1 Repeating?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis