AV Rant #45: Power Conditioner or Rip-off?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
This podcast is sure to anger someone... could it be you? You'll have to listen in to find out. Clint and Tom tackle lots of questions like soundcards, 7.1 vs. 5.1, wireless speakers, running wires, and power conditioners.

Discuss "AV Rant #45: Power Conditioner or Rip-off? " here. Read the article.

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
i listened to this podcast at work and my boss was not very happy when the "F" bomb was dropped at the 2:54 mark.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I'm very careful to say "frickin" every time I feel like saying something else. I just went back and listened to it again and I did, in fact, say "frickin". Since that word is used extensively on Scrubs which is replayed at all times of day and night, I feel it is FCC and child friendly. Sorry if that got you into any trouble.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Thats some funny double speak...dont swear in forums but let us entertain you with our swearing. I just feel it was both uncalled for and a double standard.
As far as the podcast it was pretty good, reminds me of a college radio chat but I enjoyed learning that UL certification was not always there, it is something we all sorta assume is there, we simply dont think about it much. I have no sympathy for Richard's power pigs and the like as I think they are way over-priced no matter how they perform. When I installed my Projector I hooked up a APC battery backup I used for a computer so that my fan could cool down projector plus save settings in entire rig in the event of power outage, I get about 4 minutes of juice but need about 1 mintute to cool things down, I wasnt even sure I needed it but it was in a closet doing nothing anyway so I installed and tested it........maybe one day I will be glad I have it in HT.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
BTW if that was really fricken it doesnt sound like it and I doubt others will hear it much different then I did...no matter what was thought to have been said it was started with "FU" NOT "FR".

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Offended by the F word ?!?

Some (many) people need a reality check and worry about real issues, like child abuse, crime, illiteracy etc...

I liked the podcast. For once, it helped me escape another upgrade plan (going from 5.1 to 7.1)!

Thanks, and keep the good stuff coming!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
i listened to this podcast at work and my boss was not very happy when the "F" bomb was dropped at the 2:54 mark.
Where do you work? I use the term loosely seeing as how you're here when you're there. :) Maybe the admin's can send somebody over to tune your boss and keep him off your freakin' back when you're on freakin' AH. :eek: The freakin' nerve of these freakin' people. :D

Edit: I just listened to it and it sounded like the F bomb to me too. Hearing "I F'in told you" made me feel like I was at work.

Last edited:
C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
If you think the F word is no big deal then try posting with it here.....try it?

Have not heard back from the caster who insists he said frick not F^*k but it is obvious what was said, I am sure it was most likely a slip which is no big deal but I wish he would simply own up to it, if he truely thinks that is what he said I am going to JOKRINGLY....again JOKEINGLY suggest he isnt the person to tell folks if he hears or doesnt hear a difference in equipment.
I am no ultra conservative prude but in some circumstances that word is simply classless.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
I'm very careful to say "frickin" every time I feel like saying something else. I just went back and listened to it again and I did, in fact, say "frickin". Since that word is used extensively on Scrubs which is replayed at all times of day and night, I feel it is FCC and child friendly. Sorry if that got you into any trouble.
I don't think your apology was at all necessary. If I had to apologize to every frickin oversensitive for my extensive use of the bloody French language I would be doing nothing frickin else. Crap. :D

The guy should be wearing ear buds or not listening at all at work with a boss like that, after all, it's not really a secret that you get a little irate at times and it's not your responsibility to anticipate every listeners personal issues either, not unless you want to aim your show at the under twelve’s. :)

aarond, dude, if it offends, don't frickin listen. Too many fricken dumb people in this world. :rolleyes:

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I keep waiting for some of the media access interfaces for HTPCs to mature. I've found nothing that really worked in Linux and I've played with Media Portal for Windows, which shows promise, but still isn't there yet either.

Either way though, perfectly happy to use my old computer as an HTPC, it even has optical out so sound quality has been great. It eventually got cranky about the overclock though, I think the old Shuttle powersupply is starting to show its age. I can see the point of wanting to centralize everything on the HTPC, eliminate the separate components and just hook it up to the amplifier, but realistically I would never want to take it that direction. I'd still rather keep the separate components.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
French?

Oh that's a good idea! Being French Canadian myself, Tom I have a whole repertoire of French Canadian "delicate" expressions you can use. I can even help with the pronunciation (not that that has ever mattered on AVRant).

These can range from the cute to the rather nasty! The really bad one all have biblical reference that would translate too easily to English tho... :eek::rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis