Sony all UP in the News!

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Now that Sony isn't worried about crushing HD DVD under its jackbooted heel, it's got time to focus on other things… like releasing products. To start with, the new BD-Live enabled BDP-S350 and BDP-S550 have been announced - just in time to dance on the broken corpse of HD DVD.

Discuss "Sony all UP in the News!" here. Read the article.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
why dont they concentrate on getting the BD players done under $399 for starters. which IMHO they are in less of a hurry to do now.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They aren't in a hurry to do it, but other manufacturers are :) Expect to see lower cost players by mid year. A few have already been announced at CES, both expected to street for under $300.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Whew! For a second there I thought "Bonus View" was going to be Sony's new proprietary version of Picture of Picture - which would start a secondary image format war...

God I can just see it now. Bonus View is superior because it offers more pixels in the sub-picture than the old picture in picture used in yet unreleased BD 1.1 Profile.

Okay, I'm getting silly with this.

One thing I noted in some of the reports is that these new BD players will support Deep Color. That's interesting!

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
why dont they concentrate on getting the BD players done under $399 for starters. which IMHO they are in less of a hurry to do now.
Because people are still willing to pay $399 for a BD player. If I'm a company making a product and people are buying my product when I sell it for X, why would I sell it for less than X???? You sell it for X as long as you possibly can and make as much money as possible.

On that note- when has Sony EVER been the seller of the cheapest product in ANY market?? TVs, Receivers, CD/DVD players, Speakers, Computers, etc... Sony's prices were were always higher than the competition's even if their products were similar in even inferior. With Sony you pay for the brand- that's how they've built their business and it's been successful. Their brand is so strong (similar to Bose and Monster) that their name alone can convince less knowledgeable consumers to overspend on products because they believe in the Sony name.

Two of the three new Sony players are apparently BD-Live (Profile 2) ready... They'll need firmware, but have Ethernet and 1GB storage.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
On that note- when has Sony EVER been the seller of the cheapest product in ANY market?? TVs, Receivers, CD/DVD players, Speakers, Computers, etc... Sony's prices were were always higher than the competition's even if their products were similar in even inferior. With Sony you pay for the brand- that's how they've built their business and it's been successful. Their brand is so strong (similar to Bose and Monster) that their name alone can convince less knowledgeable consumers to overspend on products because they believe in the Sony name.
Pricing of the players aside--this is good news. Finally consumers will at least have the *option* of purchasing profile 2.0 standalone players.

BTW, Sony has dirt cheap receivers. The cheapest HDMI (not that passthrough crap) audio enabled receiver is the Sony DG710. Their displays cost a pretty penny though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis