New Technology to Push 40Mbps DSL over Existing Copper Wire

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Rim Semiconductor Company may breathe new life into the existing copper wire infrastructure, allowing phone companies that offer Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) to significantly boost speeds. Rim Semiconductor is introducing a new data transfer specification that they are calling Internet Protocol Subscriber Line (IPSL) that when driven by Rim’s new Cupria transport processor is said to achieve data speeds of 40 Mbps at 5,500 ft radius on existing 26AWG copper telephone wire and 26 Mbps at a 6000 ft radius. This is a significant speed boost over current top DSL speeds of 6 Mbps typically available.

Discuss "New Technology to Push 40Mbps DSL over Existing Copper Wire" here. Read the article.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I could see this making Verizon's FIOS service a bit worried, but the truth is that FIOS can handle a LARGE sum of data, and they won't run out of bandwidth any time soon. However, getting technology like this to run DSL faster on the old copper lines could make Verizon sweat a little (seeing as that their program involves removing all copper landlines eventually and replacing it with FIOS, which is expensive.)

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
can doI have Verizon and I have 15 down and 5 up (not real sure about the up). that only costs me about 50 bucks a month. it is plenty fast. I f\have family in rural parts of the country who cannot get that so, this would be great. but we shall see if it real works and is affordable, only so much copper

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
HDTV is limited to 6 MHz, not 6 Mbps, David.

DavidW

DavidW

Audioholics Contributing Writer
HDTV is limited to 6 MHz, not 6 Mbps, David.
You are correct.

It is 6 MHz per channel and not Mbps, which is the frequency bandwidth spread from the days of analog. Using 64-QAM, this is about 27 Mbps, total data bandwidth, which even without overhead, is less than either HD optical disc format currently runs data. And that is if the TV provider dedicates the entire 6MHz to a single digital program but often the providers opt to cram more in.

F

fiosmeup

Audioholic Intern
Verizon is offering the faster DSL service 7.1 meg for places that won't be getting fios. Fios is about TV, internet and phone bundles. I don't think they are to worry, it will help them compete against Cable internet.
Fios internet has speeds of 5-20 and 50 megs with plenty more speed to come...
Da

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
The ATSC should get smart and add 256-QAM to the standard. It'd allow double the bandwidth in the same 6 MHz.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This technology is nothing new. I worked on this about 7 years ago at my former employer Paradyne but they weren't savvy enough to market it properly and get industry acceptance with the RBOC's. They have since then been bought out and their stock hovers at $1/share with no chance of ever recouping. :(

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Gene is correct. The technology is only part of the limiting factor. Just ask anyone who has watched (or tried to watch) any of the Netflix on demand videos. Even in SD, they look terrible and rarely provide a seamless viewing experience.

Almost every content provider chooses quantity over quality and butchers the bandwidth to provide more services\channels that they can make more money on.

I am not optimisitic that technology advances in bandwidth are going to bring better video quality any time soon!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis