Microsoft Ends HD-DVD Sales

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
From the Department of Obvious comes a report that, gasp, Microsoft is ceasing all manufacture of external HD DVD players for its Xbox 360 console. This came just days after Toshiba conceded defeat of the format to Sony's Blu-ray last week. According to Microsoft, the cessation of HD DVD drive manufacturing won't affect their video game sales or the popularity of the console.

Discuss "Microsoft Ends HD-DVD Sales" here. Read the article.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
They never put any real effort to spreading this technology anyway.
It's like phasing out their pink xbox controller, no big deal to them.

Should be a future lesson for those considering buying any consumer eletronic device backed by Microsoft.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
In case anyone is interested...

BestBuy.com has them for $49.99, if you want one for the heck of it. I picked one up this morning as a backup, in case my real HD DVD player dies and can't be replaced. Still has the 5 free movie mail in rebate, if Toshiba is still doing that. *shrug*

Later...

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Jim, you're going to end up on HGTV as one of those weird collector dudes with a room full of HD DVD players and discs. Denial my friend, it isn't just a river in Egypt! :D

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
Okay, so how about a quick poll? I have the Toshiba A-2, with VERY LITTLE cash invested in it. I also have 15 discs, most of them unopened. Should I go eBay with this, or keep it as a cheap (paid less than $100) DVD player to have around the house....

jump in with your vote!

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
Jim, you're going to end up on HGTV as one of those weird collector dudes with a room full of HD DVD players and discs. Denial my friend, it isn't just a river in Egypt! :D
Yeah! Great Idea! I could own every HD DVD ever made! All in perfect condition! Maybe even still in the shrink wrap!

J, if you ask me, I'd say keep it. I'm gonna say it's not worth it to take the time to ebay the stuff off. *shrug*

And, for reference, I own as many BDs as I do HDs. I just like High def stuff. And the cheaper it is, the better!

D

Darins10

Enthusiast
Not a huge surprise I suppose considering the circumstances....

At least my HD-XA2 is a decent upconverting player... though so is my Denon DVD-3930CI... Ah crud, guess I should sell mine too...

Basically our staff needs to get PS3s...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis