No More Analogue Cell Phones

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
In all the talk about how analogue television is being phased out, it's easy to miss a milestone in the history of cellular phone service which is passing this week. As of today, analogue phone service is no more. Kaput. Vamooshed. Fageddaboudit. This cutoff affects (according to reports) more than 1 million analogue cellular subscribers nationwide as all cellular companies have no switched over to fully digital signals.

Discuss "No More Analogue Cell Phones" here. Read the article.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Honestly, I thought analog cell had been dead for 3 or 4 years now. I didnt even know there still had been analog service available. I guess now its official, my 8 or 10 old cell phones that are lying around are worthless.:D

Jack

B

Buckeye_Nut

I haven't used an analog cell phone since prior to 1998.

LOL

Who'da thunk they were still around?

Soundman

Soundman

I'm still trying to figure out who these 1 million analog subscribers are/were?!?! I've never met any of them. Seriously, who has an analog cell phone!!?!??!?! :eek:

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Cool - now I can tell my wife she can finally get rid of that old first generation cell phone she keeps in her car's glove box (for some reason I can't explain). She says it's there for emergencies, in case she loses her current one - the thing is the size of a brick, and weighs almost as much! :D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Analog cell phones?! I've got to get out of the cave more often, I thought my wool string version was the latest and greatest.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Why is anyone surprised that there would still be over a million users of analog cell phones? They worked for making phone calls. Not everyone feels a need to have their phone do 10 other things aside from making phone calls. Nor is everyone a sucker for every new gewgaw that comes out.

The only reason I have ever replaced a cell phone has been because of changing service providers, and then only because they are not all made to be compatible with each other. My "new" phone (it is about 2 or 3 years old now) does all sorts of things that I don't need. I wanted a phone, not a game system. If I had purchased an analog phone years ago, and if I had never changed service providers, I would still be using it up until it no longer worked. Do all of you imagine that everyone feels a burning need to have new toys all the time, just to have something new? No wonder there is so much trash going into landfills.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Do all of you imagine that everyone feels a burning need to have new toys all the time, just to have something new?
Um... hello? You're saying this to a bunch of Audioholics who make getting new "toys" an literal form of art? :confused: :D

B

BTT917

Audioholic Intern
IMO, the bigger story is how many vehicle assistance programs (e.g., OnStar) used analog cell service and now will be dead with no way to upgrade. With OnStar at least, some cars sold up until 2004 models had analog service.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
IMO, the bigger story is how many vehicle assistance programs (e.g., OnStar) used analog cell service and now will be dead with no way to upgrade. With OnStar at least, some cars sold up until 2004 models had analog service.
So OnStar is like HD DVD!:eek:

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Don't forget all the home-alarm systems that have an analog only back-up phone! It's probably a good idea to check to see what type of phone your own home-alarm has if it has a wireless phone in it.

-pat

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
OnStar upgraded my 2005 car late last year to a digital system. I had the choice of doing that or going without. It was free as long as I signed up for another year...which I wanted to do anyway. Some 2004 and earlier years were SOL....no upgrade available. Pretty cool service overall. It's the only cell phone I've ever had....don't use it much since there's usually nobody I really need to talk to in the car.

Mort (cell free)

W

westcott

Audioholic General
The big difference between an analog TV and a cell phone is that most people do not haul a TV around with them when they travel or try to keep a signal.

I have always insisted on buying cell phones with both analog and digital support. I travel a lot and there are times when analog is the only way to get or keep a signal, long after digital has lost its.

I will be sad to see support for analog go!!!

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Dont laugh, this is affecting many Home Security systems that home owners sort of dont think about muxh and all GM cars prior that are over a few years old have to upgrade so "OnStar" works......close to a million right there GM claims..........owners only need pay shipping on the part needed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis