Universal Studios Announces It's Now Blu-ray

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
As expected, Universal Studios, one of the two major studios that was putting out HD DVDs, will now switch its manufacturing, marketing and distribution efforts to the rival Blu-ray high definition DVD format. The news was reported by the AP and follows Toshiba's Tuesday bombshell that it will be exiting the HD DVD market and cease all operations manufacturing hardware and promoting the format.

Discuss "Universal Studios Announces It's Now Blu-ray" here. Read the article.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
First word that comes to my mind: DUH!!!!! :D

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
I wonder how'll they do re-releases now. Do you suppose they'll use the same encode and fix the menus here and there to give it some semblance to the original HD DVD release? Or do you think they'll redo everything and start anew?

Tehy shoudl be able to use the same encoded material, however programming for BD is completely different than HD DVD. I wonder how many businesses are going to have to completely re-tool their operations...

A

autoboy

Audioholic
Can I trade in my HD-DVDs for the BluRay version? That would be nice. I suppose in the future you could always rip your HD-DVDs and then burn them onto a BluRay disc. You would only get the movies and you would lose the special features but who watches those anyways?

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I hope Universal remasters and reencodes a lot of those catalog releases. Edge enhancement has no place on high def releases.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis