HD DVD Conceding Defeat This Week? - Condeded!

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Strong industry rumors are leading many editors to believe that this week will mark the end of the high definition DVD format war. If things go as suspected, and industry insiders are correct, then Toshiba will announce that it has conceded the format war to Blu-ray and begin making preparations to adjust its hardware development accordingly. The most significant eventuality of this will be the ultimate release of a Toshiba Blu-ray player sometime in 2009.

Discuss "HD DVD Conceding Defeat This Week?" here. Read the article.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i don't know about you guys, I'm feeling that if toshiba sells new BD players ... it will be a combo player (hd dvd and bd)

i'd be happy about that.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sure they will eventually start selling BD players, they have to start turning some type of profit after the gigantic loss they are taking on dumping HD DVD.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
i don't know about you guys, I'm feeling that if toshiba sells new BD players ... it will be a combo player (hd dvd and bd)

i'd be happy about that.

That would be nice :)
"...and when you aren't looking, I'll burn your Blu-Ray discs while you sleep at night," said the Toshiba combo player.

:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
"I've been sayin it, I've been sayin it for ten damn years. Ain't I been sayin it Miguel?" - Randy Quaid as Russell Casse in Independance Day

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
"I've been sayin it, I've been sayin it for ten damn years. Ain't I been sayin it Miguel?" - Randy Quaid as Russell Casse in Independance Day

"Why, oh why, didn't I take the Blu pill?" - The Matrix

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Too bad that the more reliable format is going to go. I plan on buying as many hd-dvds that i can get my hands on (good movies at least)

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Maybe Microsoft will eventually offer up a Blu-ray add on (with PS3 emulation!)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
implications that microsoft will make some sorta announcement on their future intentionsupon toshibas offical. Toshiba's stock is rising on the idea of its over.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/18/microsoft-holding-off-on-hd-dvd-reaction-thinks-games-sell-co/

TOKYO, Feb 18 (Reuters) - Japan's Nikkei share average rose 1.3 percent on Monday, with better-than-expected economic data last week helping to ease market worries.

Toshiba Corp (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research) jumped more than 6 percent after a company source said it planned to give up on its HD DVD format for high-definition video.

The benchmark Nikkei .N225 average ended the morning session up 1.3 percent at 13,797.28 and the broader TOPIX was up 1.1 percent at 1,349.42. (Reporting by Taiga Uranaka)

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
"Whatever the results of history, we just hope that Sony straightens out its Profile mess and ensures that DRM doesn't continue to interfere with consumer experiences down the road."

Don't hold your breath. Sony demonstrated with it's root kit that NOTHING is more important to them than DRM.

The real struggle is between content owners & content consumers. The loss of HD DVD is a blow to all content consumers.

J

JackT

Audioholic
Here's one part of the article I though was strange:

The big downside of this turn of events is the massive amount of misinformation floating around the net about how much better Blu-ray Disc is, as a format, than HD DVD.
While it's true that nobody like misinformation, how does misinformation about a defunct format constitute THE "big downside"? If that is THE big downside, then things are pretty okay, IMO.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
What will really be funny is if Toshiba releases a $200 Blu-Ray player that works better than all the Blu-Ray players currently on the market. If they were able to re-use a lot of the hardware in the HD-DVD players and add internet connectivity to all their Blu-Ray players for upgradeability.

1tribeca

Audioholic
I don't think any of this is gonna be a huge wave of change. I think the Blu-ray player is better...technically anyway.

I believe it was an article posted on this site some time ago...the skinny of it being that it takes a monumental shift in technology to sway an entire buying public.

Vinyl records - huge technological leap for the public to have/store/listen to music in their own home. 8-track...whatever, cassettes...whatever. Both dead.

CD - the next big leap in technology allowing significant improvement over vinyl records (settle down you audiophiles...I mean on the convenience side of things here) small, easy to use, quick to load, portable. SACD...barely a blip.

VHS - notwhithstanding the whole Beta fiasco, it was a huge leap for much the same reason as vinyl...personal media in your own home...a library of your choosing, convenience, compact.

DVD - Again, a big enough leap in technology that warranted a huge shift in purchasing...same reasons as the CD's success...VHS is now toast.

Blu-ray/HD DVD...sure, more storage, high-res, but a dog with different fleas no? Same size disc, you still have to load it into a player, it's digital etc, etc. It's basically DVD on steroids!

I've read, and I agree that the next big jump will be downloaded media across the board (for film in this case) You purchase your selected titles...uploaded to a server...high res, full digital audio etc. Like a Blu-ray without the actual disc. Apple is already doing this no?

I think those of you who have hundreds of titles already on DVD will be hesitant to replace them all on Blu-ray. Fellas like me who don't have a massive collection and mostly rent, will sit back and wait for a bit I think.

Replacing disc for disc doesn't seem to be enough incentive to cough up the large $$$. Maybe I'm wrong.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Strong industry rumors are leading many editors to believe that this week will mark the end of the high definition DVD format war. If things go as suspected, and industry insiders are correct, then Toshiba will announce that it has conceded the format war to Blu-ray and begin making preparations to adjust its hardware development accordingly. The most significant eventuality of this will be the ultimate release of a Toshiba Blu-ray player sometime in 2009.

Discuss "HD DVD Conceding Defeat This Week?" here. Read the article.
Oh Sweet Jesus! Oh hope they give up this week. I'm just tired of the talk about it.
If any one needs me I'll be huddled in the corner, clutching my 99 dollar A2 and 6 HD DVDs, mumbling to myself.
def...def.. definitely not my player... this is not my player. Kmart sucks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis