The Hobbit Scrapped?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
New Line Cinema is again finding itself on the wrong side of a lawsuit involving the lucrative Lord of the Rings trilogy. It seems that the Tolkien estate is alleging that the studio hasn't paid them the 7.5% of gross receipts contractually required for the use of the novels according to the Associated Press. They have decided, after reportedly spending years trying to negotiate a settlement, to bring a lawsuit.

Discuss "The Hobbit Scrapped?" here. Read the article.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That would suck because I am very curious to see how Guillermo Del Toro would handle the films, especially with the production backing of WETA / Jackson and the budget NLC is going to throw their way based on how well the previous films did.

I will personally kick Christopher Tolkien's butt if he holds this up... lol.

Seriously, though... I can't figure out of Newline is really this stupid, or if people just get greedy and try to get more than they promised because the films grossed so much more than expected. I like to hear both sides before rendering judgement.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I think they will work it out. Probably a non issue.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
New Line really is that stupid. They've trying to cheat the parties out of sums for years.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm sure it is true, since Jackson had to file suit with them to get his royalties... Seems that the studio is the greedy one.

A

Addy

Audioholic
as long as Peter Jackson has something to do with the hobbit and the budget isn't sparse, i could care less which company makes it...but i would be very disappointed if for some reason they ended up with short funds and by trying to wing it ruined the hobbit forever...the hobbit has alot to accomplish to be on par with lotr trilogy

jinjuku

jinjuku

I will personally kick Christopher Tolkien's butt if he holds this up... lol.

Seriously, though... I can't figure out of Newline is really this stupid, or if people just get greedy and try to get more than they promised because the films grossed so much more than expected. I like to hear both sides before rendering judgement.
With Peter Jackson's lawsuit it is pretty much been proven that NLC are a bunch of asshats.

Google for 'Hollywood Accounting' to get a true measure of the greed and audacity of movie studios.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
With Peter Jackson's lawsuit it is pretty much been proven that NLC are a bunch of asshats.

Google for 'Hollywood Accounting' to get a true measure of the greed and audacity of movie studios.
I hope that if a settlement is offered that it's turned down so the accounting practices can be exposed. I would think that it would be great if there were findings of fraud and puntative damages were awarded.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Such deceptions would only be expected of Saruman in his time of decay. Although their cure is beyond me I would still hope they find it in the hope of seeing Bilbo leave his hole without a hat.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Who can name Bilbo's thirteen companions without looking it up?

I will start with the Dwarf king in exile, Thorin Oakenshield.

Extra`credit if you can describe how he got his name.

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
Mud, it's been too long since I read the books. Now I want to read them again just to remember all the names... Damn You.

As for the Tolkien estate NLC issue. They don't want more money they want the money they were supposed to get. NLC didn't pay them anything. Now on top of that they want control over future projects, like the Hobbit. Now that may be for more money.

I want to see the movies made, del Toro and Jackson together should be an incredible combination. LotR's trilogy is incredible and Pan's was right there with it (think I'll put it on right now as a matter of fact, be back in a few hours).

T

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
To help everyone get started I will give three referenced in LOTR
Gloin (Gimli's father)
Oin (penned the diary found in Moria)
Balin (fought the orcs by his tomb)

Who can name Bilbo's thirteen companions without looking it up?
Thorin, Dori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombour, Fili, Kili... pausing to think... still thinking... ah, 60 seconds up.

Edit, as soon as I read the post below mine (afterwards) I realized the two I missed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis