Emotiva XPA-2 Stereo Power Amplifier

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Emotiva has given new meaning to the words high end, high power, high value amplifier with the introduction of their new XPA-2. This baby is armed to the teeth with electronic goodies, weighing in at around 75lbs and boasting a 1600VA transformer and over 60,000 uF of power supply capacitance. The Emotiva, XPA-2 is specified to deliver 250wpc into 8 ohms / 500wpc into 4 ohms with both channels driven and a whopping 1000 watts bridged. All of this comes at a meager asking price of $799! This appears to be the real deal folks and we are simply dying to do a formal review. In the meantime, check our our initial impressions.

Discuss "Emotiva XPA-2 Stereo Power Amplifier" here. Read the article.

E

en sabur nur

Audioholic Intern
Damn! I'm eager to here your review. I'm also eager to see all of Emotiva's new products this year.

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
Xpa-5

I ordered the XPA-5 will you also be reveiwing it.

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
Sent a reservation e-mail yesterday.
Now, the wait begins.:)

E

ender21

Audiophyte
Learning about capicitance

So the XPA-2 is at 120,000uF capacitance, and the XPA-5 is 60,000uF.

I would have expected the reverse since the XPA-5 is 5-channel. Forgive me in advance as I'm relatively uneducated on the topic! :D

Rick

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

I would have expected the reverse since the XPA-5 is 5-channel. Forgive me in advance as I'm relatively uneducated on the topic! :D

Rick
The XPA-2 is a balls to the wall stereo power amplifier. It will have more power for two channel operation than the XPA-5 will. Considering they cost exactly the same, it's not really so hard to believe. It's like choosing between power and function. Both function very well, but for different purposes.:)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

I would have expected the reverse since the XPA-5 is 5-channel. Forgive me in advance as I'm relatively uneducated on the topic!

Rick
No the Emotiva website is wrong. They are anticipating about 60,000uF for the XPA-2. Not sure about the XPA-5 but I doubt it would be much more.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
No the Emotiva website is wrong. They are anticipating about 60,000uF for the XPA-2. Not sure about the XPA-5 but I doubt it would be much more.
Why would Emotiva have posted a photo of the XPA-2 with twelve 10,000 uF capacitors then?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Why would Emotiva have posted a photo of the XPA-2 with twelve 10,000 uF capacitors then?
Prototype and also me plead bargaining with them to change it :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The XPA-2 has 12 10,000 uF 50 v capacitors. I never saw any information regarding the capacitance of the XPA-5.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Prototype and also me plead bargaining with them to change it :D
I was slow on the button.:(

So do you have first dibs on the prototype if they decide to go with 60,000 uF?:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So do you have first dibs on the prototype if they decide to go with 60,000 uF
You don't want the prototype pictured in the first look. It has 12 50V 10,000uF caps which the only possible way that could work with their rated power is if all the caps are in series. This would yield an effective capacitance of only 30,000uF. I say lets wait it out and see what they do.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You don't want the prototype pictured in the first look. It has 12 50V 10,000uF caps which the only possible way that could work with their rated power is if all the caps are in series. This would yield an effective capacitance of only 30,000uF. I say lets wait it out and see what they do.
If you don't mind, could you explain that in lamends terms? I don't understand.:D

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
Posted by Lonnie on the Emotiva forum:

"Right now there are 12) 10,000 uF caps in total. But they are wired in series pairs. Which basically means that it has 30,000uF of capacitance as it is now. I made a mistake when I wrote out the orginal spec sheet for Dann as I just took the 12 x 10,000 rating which is not correct. So even though the power supply is as solid as a rock, I still want to up the capacitance on it. That being said we will probably double what you see in the pics."

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Posted by Lonnie on the Emotiva forum:

"Right now there are 12) 10,000 uF caps in total. But they are wired in series pairs. Which basically means that it has 30,000uF of capacitance as it is now. I made a mistake when I wrote out the orginal spec sheet for Dann as I just took the 12 x 10,000 rating which is not correct. So even though the power supply is as solid as a rock, I still want to up the capacitance on it. That being said we will probably double what you see in the pics."
Thank you. I am still confused about how 120,000uF only equates to 30,000uF. My JVC RX-DP9 has 33,000uF 63v. Does this mean that the JVC has less "real" capacitance as well?:confused:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thank you. I am still confused about how 120,000uF only equates to 30,000uF. My JVC RX-DP9 has 33,000uF 63v. Does this mean that the JVC has less "real" capacitance as well?
Ok here is some basic info on how capacitors add:

In Series: 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + .... 1/Cn
In Parallel: Ceq = C1 + C2 + C3 +....Cn

It is ALWAYS preferred to wire caps in parallel so the effective capacitance is additive and the ESR (effective series resistance) is lowered.

Where Resr(series) = Rs1 + Rs2 +.... Rsn
and Resr (parallel) = [1/Rp1 + 1/Rp2 +....1/Rpn]^-1

When I first saw the pic of the XPA-2, I noticed 12 (NOT 10) 10,000uF 50V caps. If they were wired in parallel, the Equivalent capacitance would be 60,000uF per rail or 120,000uF total (2 rails). The probem is 50V caps are only good for rail voltages of about 45V max. This would be fine if the amp was rated around 130wpc continuous but its not. Thus the only way to get the V rating high enough is to wire them in series which would yield 100V rated caps. Thus what this would imply was that each capacitor pair was wired in series and than the pairs were wired in parallel.

Its basically a series/parallel combination:
1/Cs = 1/C1 + 1/C2
Ceq = Cs1 + Cs2 + Cs3
Ctotal = Ceq1 + Ceq2

where each pair of 10,000uF caps wired in series equals 5,000uF then wired 3 pairs in parallel would yield a total of 15,000uF per rail or 30,000uF total power supply capacitance.

According to Emotiva, they are changing these to a conventional parallel topology, upping the V rating and reducing each C value. This is a GOOD change.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Too bad emotiva (all their products) didn't do their job on the esthetic side. I simply hate its looks. I would love to be able to have one of those in my rack especially for that kind of money but it just looks like a kid's toy. I think the blue leds are turning me down.

That is subjective for sure. I know a lot of you find them beautiful and I respect that.

As of tastes, my heart goes to Rotel. RSP-1068 + RMB-1075 = drool. The worst part of that is I nearly got them. But their inability for HDMI audio kept me out. Went for a good Yamaha instead.

Last edited:
G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
I think the blue leds are turning me down.
They can be turned off.
As well, what difference would it make when you are watching a movie, or listening to a song.
Do you stare at the amp when you do those 2 things (movies & music).
Heck, I keep the lights dim, they would be hard to see unless you were 5 feet from them.

Anyhow, I have put in my order for both of them
1 each of the XPA-2 and XPA-5.
Wonder if I will get 2 T-shirts.:p

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
if 60,000uF in caps. are alot for an amp of that wattage, then the 80,000uF I have in my little "150" wpc. amp must be alright then :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Too bad emotiva (all their products) didn't do their job on the esthetic side.
To me, the bad part is the dimension and weight of the amps. They are all too big! They are 17” W x 7.75” H x 19”, which is too big for my audio rack. If they were only 16' x 8' x 16 " and weighed only 60lbs, I would have ordered 5 of them and bridge them for 1000 watts x 5.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis