Wii, An Xbox 360 Gateway?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Is Nintendo Wii an Xbox 360 gateway console? Microsoft seems to think so. Critics of Nintendo’s successful game system cite dated graphics and lack of next generation media features as reasons the Wii popularity bubble is getting ready to burst. We'll see if Wii critics are correct though the next several month's sales figures.

Discuss "Wii, An Xbox 360 Gateway?" here. Read the article.

M

mjfoster77

Audioholic
I would guess (actually I think I read it somewhere) that the attach rate is much higher on the 360.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
I don't disagree with the idea, but I don't know if the 360 will be around long enough to be the next step for Wii gamers. The 360, because of MS's rush and shortsightedness, is not slated for too long of a life itself. The PS3 is the current system with the longest probable life ahead of it.

You will see the next MS console (if they so choose to stay in the hardware game...which is not a definite, imo) while the PS3 will still be in its prime.

I view long shelf life as a negative. If MS updates the console in 3 years, and PS3 waits 5-6 years, then MS will simply have a box that is twice as fast and capable of better graphics. And, assuming that it is fully backwards-compatible, people WILL upgrade.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
The 360, because of MS's rush and shortsightedness, is not slated for too long of a life itself.
I agree with you Mikeyj92.

I think Microsoft making those statements is a bit like one mayfly telling another:

"I'll still be around long after you're dead."

But it's not just consoles that are notoriously short lived anymore.

21st Century consumer electronics is a space where an incomplete format can be launched and they just call it Profile 1.0.

I don't think anyone had any misgivings that the shelf life of Xbox 360 was about three to five years when it launched in '05.

But compare that to the mayfly that was Samsung's BD-P1000. It makes 360 look like a tortise.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
Is Nintendo Wii an Xbox 360 gateway console? Microsoft seems to think so. Critics of Nintendo’s successful game system cite dated graphics and lack of next generation media features as reasons the Wii popularity bubble is getting ready to burst. We'll see if Wii critics are correct though the next several month's sales figures.

I buy all the games my 13yr old plays, so I end up going to about 3 different Gamestops quite often. We have a Wii, 2 - 360's and 2 - PS3's in our household. What this guy at Microsoft is saying, i've basically been hearing from different Gamestop people the last few months. I'll ask them, "Do you own a Wii?" to get a more unbiased opinion on some of the games and accessories, prior to buying, and most of them say "yes" (5 out of the 6 did that I can recall), and they go on to tell me about the different items I'm inquiring about, then they go into what their favorite game is for the Wii, etc, BUT, they also have said the same thing, basically, what MS is saying. There aren't many good games at all, and they don't see too many coming out in the future that can compete in gameplay or graphics with the other next gen consoles. 2 of the "veteran" GS guys, who both own a Wii, actually said, "the Wii will crash back down to Earth very soon.""The controllers are cool, but, that's about it" is what they said. I think MS may be right as far as a looming "bubble burst" for the Wii. As for when this will happen, I personally think it's going to be within the next full year, possibley 1st few months of 2009.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

It sounds a bit like wishful thinking on the part of MS. The "wii bubble" may indeed burst, but Nintendo does have one thing going for them- price. I've been an avid console gamer since about 1989, and have owned and/or played nearly every machine since then. But I don't own a 360 nor a PS3. I think they're great machines and all, but I just haven't been willing to plunk down $400+ on a game console.

Don't get me wrong- I really intended to buy both. But I was initially spooked by the rumors of the very high failure rates of the 360 (and my brother had two, both died the old 'red ring of death'). Once they had that more or less licked, then they started their "Xbox Edition of the Month." Hmmm...what size is the hard drive this month? What color is the console? Does this one have HDMI? Which old Xbox games will or won't work on the 360? The main advantage of a console for me- stability & a machine that didn't needed to be fussed with- started to evaporate.

Sony seemed to have it together a bit better with the PS3, but pigs will fly before I spend $600 on a frickin' game machine!:eek: Eventually the price has come down, but even Sony seems to be tinkering with the specs- some will play PS2 games thru software emulation, some thru hardware, some won't play PS2 games at all. A huge part of the success of the PS2, and a big reason I bought it, was that it was backward compatible. Early in the life of the PS2 when there weren't all that many games out I had 75 or 80 PSX games to play on it to tide me over.

So maybe Nintendo recognized the potential pitfalls to making the next generation of "Super Boxes" so cutting edge; price. $200-$250 is a lot more reasonable, especially to parents, than $400-$600.

Now that it appears that Blu-Ray is about to finish off HD-DVD, I may take the plunge and get a PS3 soon. Or maybe I won't, now that standalone BRD players have crossed the $400 threshold. I imagine it will depend on what games become available (a new KotOR game for the 360 or PS3 would get me off the fence, as would a good new Resident Evil game).

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
If that's true it could be said HD-DVD is a gateway to Blu-ray

Well I guess the above is true and I somewhat agree. Hey the Wii games are fun, for a few times around but long term play "staying power" drops off fast. At least for the modern era gamers, whom it attracts more of.

Then it could be said that "HD-DVD is a gateway for Blu-ray". Afterall once HD-DVD gives way to the successor (even if it isn't Blu-ray) many Blu-ray sales will be generated. Same as when more and more studios announce "allegiance" to the Blu-ray format. Anyhow. if nothing else this will shurely garner some comments. Hee-Hee.

C

chris6878

Audioholic
I have a wii and a ps3. I think this is MS just hating cause the wii is rolling. Dont forget that nintendo started all this. The wii has some tight games still coming out including mario cart and super smash bros. Plus you still got zelda, and mario galaxy. When nintendo puts out a big hitter it is a big hitter! And ps3 is coming on now, all the xbox has going for it is shooters. I hate shooters. The xbox controller sucks also.
I am going to end up getting a xbox when ninja gaiden 2, and fable comes out but that is the only 2 games that interest me. Nintendo has the family, children, and even older people market locked down! The ps3 and the xbox have the young adult market to fight over. I think that the ps3 will end up winning that market eventually. Oh and if you are single which system do you think will help get you some snatch! It aint the xbox!

E

en sabur nur

Audioholic Intern
Oh and if you are single which system do you think will help get you some snatch! It aint the xbox![/QUOTE]

What? Who uses a gaming system to get laid?! Teenagers?

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Microsoft is delusional. People are buying the Wii because they *don't want* the "game experience" that the 360 offers, else they would have bought a 360 to begin with. They want something with different and simple controls and/or Nintendo's awesome first party lineup.

For most gamers the choice is either:
1. Wii
2. 360/PS3

The 360/PS3 essentially offer the same game experience - graphics, online, media console features and controller are all comparable. The Wii is completely different and completely accessible.

Of course, Microsoft thinks people will "graduate" from the iPod to the Zune too :eek:

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
The 360/PS3 essentially offer the same game experience - graphics, online, media console features and controller are all comparable. The Wii is completely different and completely accessible.
I agree.

That's why, and I'm not saying it's right or wrong, if they (the casual gamer) takes to gaming, they'll move on to deeper systems like Xbox or ps3.

I see logic in Microsoft's position. But I don't know that I'm convinced that people will go from something that's light and easy and as you say, accessible - to something that is deep.

To be of that opinion you have to believe that humans have a natural tendency to evolve. Or at least evolve into what is logical to that Microsoft position.

I don't know that I would agree with Microsoft. I think a lot of people that don't give a crap about 'gaming' will be perfectly happy playing the same simple games, with crappy graphics nigh after night.

That's not a knock on Nintendo. I find the Wii system clever. I don't own one myself, nor would I. But I respect it. I have had a great time with friends at a Wii party. I just couldn't see haveing the same fun time playing Wii boxing by myself at home.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
a new KotOR game for the 360 or PS3 would get me off the fence
I think you and I will be waiting a very long time (if ever) for a new KOTOR my friend. :mad:

Of course Mass Effect is KOTOR without the Star Wars.

I think that the Wii is a completely seperate experience. It's really like gaming for those who aren't gamers. It's definately got a good platform, a seperate draw, if you will, than the PS3 or 360. It's not for me, but I respect it for being different.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
Oh and if you are single which system do you think will help get you some snatch! It aint the xbox!
:rolleyes: If you are using a video game machine to do this than you might as well give up now.

dnice555

dnice555

Audioholic
I have a wii and a ps3. I think this is MS just hating cause the wii is rolling. Dont forget that nintendo started all this. The wii has some tight games still coming out including mario cart and super smash bros. Plus you still got zelda, and mario galaxy. When nintendo puts out a big hitter it is a big hitter! And ps3 is coming on now, all the xbox has going for it is shooters. I hate shooters. The xbox controller sucks also.
I am going to end up getting a xbox when ninja gaiden 2, and fable comes out but that is the only 2 games that interest me. Nintendo has the family, children, and even older people market locked down! The ps3 and the xbox have the young adult market to fight over. I think that the ps3 will end up winning that market eventually. Oh and if you are single which system do you think will help get you some snatch! It aint the xbox!
What does that mean which system will get you girls? Do you bring your systems into bars and use them as pick-up lines or what??? If the ps3 is gonna win they have a lot of ground to make up. I can't believe you are comparing fable to halo 3, call of duty 4, and rock band.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I shudder to say this, but I have some single buddies and apparently the ladies don't mind getting sweaty playing some silly game on the Wii. It's simple, they don't have to read an instruction manual like they'd have to with the majority of next-gen games and they are fun to play with others!

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
The Wii is attracting people that wouldn't normally play video games. Will they move on to Sony or Microsoft? No, I don't think so. The Wii is a different kind of gaming experience than the 360. I have a Wii and I will be buying a 360, but I was going to regardless thanks to Forza. However, if you think the PS3 is going to take over you're sadly mistaken unless they can pull it out and get some more good exclusive titles. There are three, maybe four games that are exclusive that are really any good. The PS3 is in third and has been since it was released. Price drops have helped but the lack of support is hurting them. I don't see it improving since the PS3 is a nightmare to code for. However, thanks to Gran Turismo I'll have to buy one possibly. I just hope they get at least four other exclusive titles or I don't think I can justify the cost.

I have a friend who was all over the Wii since he gets to play it at his friend's house a lot. What was interesting was that yesterday at our Super Bowl party he said to me that it's not that much fun unless you have like 4 people playing together. He also said that if he had to pick a gaming system it would be the Xbox 360 since you can play with others online.

I think the novelty of the Wii may be waning somewhat. We'll see. Like everything else - the SOFTWARE sells the system, be it HD DVD, Blu-ray, PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii.

D

dan121s

Audiophyte
I have a friend who was all over the Wii since he gets to play it at his friend's house a lot. What was interesting was that yesterday at our Super Bowl party he said to me that it's not that much fun unless you have like 4 people playing together. He also said that if he had to pick a gaming system it would be the Xbox 360 since you can play with others online.

I think the novelty of the Wii may be waning somewhat. We'll see. Like everything else - the SOFTWARE sells the system, be it HD DVD, Blu-ray, PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii.
Clint you may be onto something. People can only live off Wii Sports multiplayer for so long. I realize Mario Galaxy came out, but that is only a single player game.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Personally I think Microsoft would be crazy not to align themselves in that position. I don't know any exact numbers for sales of the Wii, but imagine that if even 10% or 20% of Wii purchasers bought a 360. That is not a number worth ignoring.

Yes, the Wii is bringing in new gamers, both young and old, eventually some of them, especially in the young category are going to want to "upgrade" and if Microsoft is across the street waving "Hey over here, look at me", that is where they will go.

These people will not be looking at cell broadband engines and other components that will give a "better" game, they are new gamers, they came from the Wii (No offense intended to Wii owners or players intended)

PS3 will market their Blu-Ray capabilities and Microsoft will markt itself as the "after Wii" system and both will make money.

Cheers
Michael

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis