Sony STR-DG810 AV Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you are like me, you may have acquired more high definition sources than your current AV receiver can accommodate. My case isn't made any better by the fact that my projector is just old enough to not offer an HDMI input. Well, for under $300, Sony now offers the STR-DG810 that will allow you to connect up to three high definition sources by HDMI or component video inputs.

Discuss "Sony STR-DG810 AV Receiver" here. Read the article.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Beware if you are using this reciever for HDMI switching! I had big time picture dropouts when I used the STR-DG800. I do not know if these problems have been addressed. Switching from Cable to my Oppo DVD player was a nightmare, as i ended up having to turn everything off, and then on again in the proper order. It was kind of like where they're trying to get Apollo 13 re-enty only using 12 Amps! :D

Last edited:
To be fair, that might be more or less the fault of thge cable box... With HDMI there are so many variables it's tough even to troubleshoot effectively using the regular methods.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
There are a lot of receivers out there that have HDMI handshake issues including some higher end ones.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Ohh....Sony? Really? I havent had very much luck with any of their A/V products, and they tend to be looked down upon by the AV communities. I'm surprised this even got a review.

W

widget

Audiophyte
SONY "Protect" Problem

Okay...any help here greatly appreciated...

I have the Sony STR-810. It powers two single-channel stereo ceiling speakers and two independent, dual channel speakers in ceiling as well.

As soon as I get to a moderately (and I mean moderate....about 42 on the digital volume level) loud level the unit goes into "protect" mode and shuts down.

What gives? I double checked connections and all seems well to me. But I am admittedly a novice of sorts...

Thanks in advance,

Widget

P

pugcharlie

Audiophyte
SONY STR-DG810 Protect Mode All The TIME!

Okay...any help here greatly appreciated...

I have the Sony STR-810. It powers two single-channel stereo ceiling speakers and two independent, dual channel speakers in ceiling as well.

As soon as I get to a moderately (and I mean moderate....about 42 on the digital volume level) loud level the unit goes into "protect" mode and shuts down.

What gives? I double checked connections and all seems well to me. But I am admittedly a novice of sorts...

Thanks in advance,

Widget
I have the same piece of crap. I bought this receiver to replace my non- HDMI Sony Home Theater receiver because except for slightly less power, it has 3 HDMI in and one out. For a year and a half, it was fine. I moved October 15th...used all new 16 gauge speaker wire, everything is wired fine and now with any surge in sound-even at a 42 sound level, it goes into PROTECT mode and shuts down. It does this with DirecTV too. I am not happy that i didn't replace it with 7.1 but I didn't think I'd be moving and all that conduit stuck to wallboard, the thought of ripping it ll down and getting another speaker was too much. Now this receiver is worth nothing. No more Sony audio products...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have the same piece of crap. I bought this receiver to replace my non- HDMI Sony Home Theater receiver because except for slightly less power, it has 3 HDMI in and one out. For a year and a half, it was fine. I moved October 15th...used all new 16 gauge speaker wire, everything is wired fine and now with any surge in sound-even at a 42 sound level, it goes into PROTECT mode and shuts down. It does this with DirecTV too. I am not happy that i didn't replace it with 7.1 but I didn't think I'd be moving and all that conduit stuck to wallboard, the thought of ripping it ll down and getting another speaker was too much. Now this receiver is worth nothing. No more Sony audio products...
Welcome to the forum!

Do you have the receiver hooked up to the same speakers as you did before you moved? If so, it is probably something in the connections. Make sure that you don't have any copper strands bridging across from one binding post to another (either on a speaker or on your receiver). These things do happen, and they'll cause a partial short that could put your receiver into protect mode.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
This topic is over a year old.

Protect mode is a common Sony Product and is probably cause by driving the amp to hard.

42 seems like a very high level on a sony amp. I think it's time for you to upgrade.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Its the experts that test them at Audioholics and CNET you disagree with...Like I said I would rather have a Yamaha, Denon etal....user reviews are questionable as users tend to validate their own choices and the limited mix of people on any forum render the opinions anecdotal...They no doubt love the Sony stuff on their forum and a some other general ones....beyond that, every so often you have to revisit some of these companies as some change for the better when you arent looking....believe me, I'm no Sony audio fan based on their past offerings

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Its the experts that test them at Audioholics and CNET you disagree with...Like I said I would rather have a Yamaha, Denon etal....user reviews are questionable as users tend to validate their own choices and the limited mix of people on any forum render the opinions anecdotal...They no doubt love the Sony stuff on their forum and a some other general ones....beyond that, every so often you have to revisit some of these companies as some change for the better when you arent looking....believe me, I'm no Sony audio fan based on their past offerings
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/sony-str-da7100es-receiver-review/

Is the only review of a Sony AH even has. First looks aren't reviews.

I tend to go with User reviews over Magazine reviews which rarely are negative on anything. Including AH.

User reviews can be a very good source for information. Especially for issues. I suggest a visit to AVS for any receiver. They usually have a dedicated thread.

But we don't know true quality for years. I could say my receiver is great, but in reality it could break in 3 years and actually be a bad receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis