Blu-ray snags Warner Bros exclusive

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It's about time... maybe this will spark the end of the format war.

D

D.R. Payne

Audioholic
It's about time... maybe this will spark the end of the format war.
Consider how many of the best selling HD-DVD titles were from Warner: 300, Batman Begins, Harry Potter, etc. All the big ones except for Transformers as far as I can remember.

I'm not trying to be rude, but who would buy an HD-DVD player after this announcement? I think it's time for me to look into a high end standalone BD player from Denon.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm not trying to be rude, but who would buy an HD-DVD player after this announcement? I think it's time for me to look into a high end standalone BD player from Denon.
Is a high-end player really worth all fo the extra money? From what I understand the PS3 is currently one of the best (if not the best) BD player on the market (and the 80GB model plays SACD) for significantly less money than what Denon is selling their players for (I heard $2000). I know that not everybody wants the gaming capability, but the load times are incredibly fast and the system updates itself via wireless network. Is there much more that Denon is going to offer for 5-6 times the price??

D

D.R. Payne

Audioholic
Well, I already have a PS3. If I buy a standalone player it will be for the following reasons:
-Usable with a universal remote (curse you Bluetooth)
-Picture quality is good but not the BEST on the PS3
-Ability to stream DTS-HDMA (the PS3 cannot do this)

I haven't seen the load times on the Denon yet, but I'm very much going to be looking into a high end standalone player.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, I already have a PS3. If I buy a standalone player it will be for the following reasons:
-Usable with a universal remote (curse you Bluetooth)
-Picture quality is good but not the BEST on the PS3
-Ability to stream DTS-HDMA (the PS3 cannot do this)

I haven't seen the load times on the Denon yet, but I'm very much going to be looking into a high end standalone player.
I won't disagree on the first and the third points (I especially hate the bluetooth!), but I've had my PS3 for 4 months now and I haven't been able to point out a flaw in PQ in any movie or game that I've played that I could attribute to the player itself. I'm just curious how much incrementally better the PQ is going to get for so much more in price. We'll see however, I will probably eventually want to get a stand-alone myself at some point.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Well gentlemen, if our economy keeps spiraling into a recession as it is right now, this will be a moot point. As no one will be spending money on luxuries such as HD formats.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Warner has been releasing titles on both formats and I think they saw, with their best selling titles, that the Blu-ray versions outsold the HD DVD versions in nearly all cases.

Now I kind of regret picking up The Matrix on HD DVD :( (for $50 :) )

D

D.R. Payne

Audioholic
I am very much looking forward to The Matrix and Batman Begins on Blu-Ray, hopefully with new encodes to take advantage of the extra bitrate&capacity.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
uh oh. i bought an HD DVD player and watched just ONE movie on it. could it be my last?

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
There's one reason for me to buy a stand alone blu-ray player. I have such a hard time getting the PS#3 out of my son's room.:(

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The high definition disc format war just took a dramatic turn, as Warner Bros announced it would exclusively support Blu-ray. This is a significant blow for rival HD DVD as Warner is the single biggest DVD producer, selling from 18 to 20 percent of all US home movie sales.

Discuss "Blu-ray snags Warner Bros exclusive" here. Read the article.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Just read this over at The Digital Bits. As someone who's sat on the sidelines all this time, I find this great news! Now I just have to wait for profile 2.0 to be on the shelves!

cheers,
supervij

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Actually, ol' BMX has been discussin' it all OVER the place! I just responded here cos it was the first one I saw.

cheers,
supervij

Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT

Junior Audioholic
I know a lot of people are happy the "war" appears to be over, including those like myself who have been holding off on either format.

But I was personally hoping it would go on at least another year to help drive player and media prices down.

I fear that BluRay players will maintain their current prices much longer from here on out, and software deals will become fewer.

Competition is good. No competition generally means the customer gets screwed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis