RIAA Sues Man for Copying Legal CDs to His PC? Nope.

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Hopefully we got your attention. A news story has been circulating around the Internet (example 1, example 2, example 3) that essentially demonizes the RIAA for bringing a lawsuit against some guy who copied CDs to his hard drive. That would be preposterous. That would be appalling. That would be something too stupid to believe. And it is. Seems that there was not a whole lot of fact-checking going on this week (myself included) and the story was reported in a rather, shall we say, slanted fashion.

Discuss "RIAA Sues Man for Copying Legal CDs to His PC? Nope." here. Read the article.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Ahh Clint. I substantially agree with you on the circus atmosphere about this debacle. However, once again, the liberal media (I know, I hate that term, but it is entrirely apropos here, and I am referring to all media that I've read concerning this issue), has only reported some of the facts. In fact, I am astounded that in my searches over this case, I have yet to find one media source that has correctly reported this fact:

This case is about file-sharing. In fact, it's about file-sharing on a massive scale...in fact, the entire Kazaa network. Taken directly from the Order For Summary Judgment:

"The files, available to all other Kazaa users for download from the shared folder..."

Perhaps you and your staff will be so bold as to be the "first" media to report this curiously omitted, but vital fact. Media can conveniently withold facts that they deem not worthy...the Courts are not so lucky. The Order for Summary Judgment can be viewed here directly:

http://www.ilrweb.com/viewILRPDFfull.asp?filename=atlantic_howell_070820OrderGrantSumJudg

Understand that although Summary Judgment had been ordered several months ago, the matter has been reopened, and the defendant has been afforded a chance to reply to the motion (in a couple of weeks). So hold onto your hats folks, cuz it aint over til it's over. I must say, at first blush, this case is a slam dunk in favor of the plaintiffs.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
As long as he wasn't sharing the files he ripped, then I don't see how the RIAA has a leg to stand on in this case. They seem to just be out there trying to bully everyone around, and it's time someone stood up to them and smacked them back into their place.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
I agree you should not swipe artist work as a musician (bass player) I would not like that . But the RIAA is a dying industry.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I agree you should not swipe artist work as a musician (bass player) I would not like that . But the RIAA is a dying industry.
Well, I don't know. Copyright infringement is a federally mandated nono. I would think that anyone with copyrighted work would side with the plaintiff in this matter.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for clearing it up, John. I had read the actual story and the lawsuit is obviously about sharing CDs via a P2P network.

I agree with you 100%.

It's always funny to read a lengthy editorial about a totally incorrect news blurb.

jinjuku

jinjuku

AHHHHHHHH! CAN NO ONE GET IT RIGHT?

If you look at page 13 of the legal brief, he made music available on KaZaA. He isn't being sued over his fair use of material he purchased.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Well, I don't know. Copyright infringement is a federally mandated nono. I would think that anyone with copyrighted work would side with the plaintiff in this matter.
Copyright as we generally know it now came from the Berne Convention. It was held I do believe 1971 in Paris, France.

As a software developer that has been pirated from, I can see RIAA's side. Doesn't matter their distribution/business model. It doesn't give one the right to infringe another's copyright. There are alternatives, everything from iTunes to Napster/Rhapsody. I purchased USED cd's mostly. Some artist I buy their works new direct from them.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Thanks for clearing it up, John. I had read the actual story and the lawsuit is obviously about sharing CDs via a P2P network.

I agree with you 100%.

It's always funny to read a lengthy editorial about a totally incorrect news blurb.
It's more sad than funny. At least here there aren't 200 rabid posts about the evils of RIAA here due to an incorrect editorial. People too often take things at face value. I did just a minuscule amount of digging to find out the Washington Post article had it wrong.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Just think about it for a second, anyway.

How would the RIAA know that this man (or anyone) has "2000" MP3s ripped from legally owned CDs?

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
johnd, I DID side with them, but like I said the need to adapt or change. I dont need to go to studio to record anymore (and at a hundred dollas an hour I cannot afford it) musicians can produce themselves these days and IMHO that will be what pushes the RIAA out. The need to change and folks need to stop stealing music!

Now I'm ticked. No less than 3 news sources steered me in the direction I went... Apparently it's all crap and the guy shared his files... Nothing like eating a little humble pie in the morning...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
No worry.

Now I'm ticked. No less than 3 news sources steered me in the direction I went... Apparently it's all crap and the guy shared his files... Nothing like eating a little humble pie in the morning...
It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong.

gotta love that mass media, eh? anything for a sensational story.

T

terror_beast

Audioholic Intern
Stepping outside of this particular lawsuit for a moment, I just wanted to comment on how I see the situation as a whole. Looking back on the past 12 years or so, I think what we've seen is an unfiltered example of the "real" consumer market.

The truth is that people wanted music and movies. They wanted them in a big way! But the cost of purchasing music and movies always stood between consumers and the actual number of songs and movies that they wanted. With prices in place, people were forced to prioritize the songs and movies that they wanted most and were almost always forced into having far fewer songs and movies than they actually wanted.

When file-sharing and free downloads were at their peak, we saw just how ravenous the consumer market really is. With songs and movies available for free, people downloaded anything in which they were even remotely interested. A great deal of what was downloaded was very likely only listened to or viewed once - and very likely not even completely from beginning to end. In essence, people were sampling. The songs and movies that they liked most found a semi-permanent place in people's collections. A great deal of content was deleted after having been sampled and rejected.

The question though, really, is: what is fair? Consumers were, in a fairly real sense, being deprived of what they wanted. Restricted by what they could afford and left with a debt if they were unfortunate enough to pay for something that they ultimately did not like. However, obviously it cost money (a lot of money) to create and produce those songs and movies. Obviously, the artists and everyone involved ought to be compensated for their work. It is completely unfair to expect anyone to create something - at a cost to them - and then give it away for free. If they willingly do so, that is an act of great generosity, but it is completely unfair to outright expect it.

On the other side of the coin though, it is unfair to withhold something that was created for consumption unless the person who wants it is willing to pay a price greater than what that something is worth. THAT is the real crux of the matter. It is obvious to me that there is rather wide-spread agreement that the pricing of music and movies is above what we, the consumers, deem them to be worth. We come to this judgement based on anecdotal evidence; we see fruits of the enormous profits generated from music and movies and draw the obvious conclusion that the cost of producing the goods is FAR less than the price at which the goods are being sold.

Angered by this view, consumers retaliate. Presented with the opportunity, consumers steal music and movies because in essence, consumers feel that they have been over-charged (grossly) in the past. Stealing is a means of restoring a perceived balance. The exaggerated profits from the past can be used to offset the losses of recently stolen goods - or so the emotional argument goes.

The truth of the matter is that what consumers really want are fair prices. Consumers will pay what they think something is worth and they want to see evidence after the fact that the price they were charged was, in fact, commiserate with covering the cost of production plus a reasonable profit. When the evidence suggests that the profit was unreasonably high, I believe that consumers are in the right to feel cheated and angry and to seek a means of restoring fairness.

A so-called "free market" and so-called "competition" are not enough when all parties are essentially fixing the price to be equal among them. Consumers are retaliating against a long history of prices having been fixed at an unreasonably high level. The greed of the music and movie industries is strongly evidenced by the gaudy displays of lavish opulence by those who run and star in these industries. The internet merely gave consumers a means by which they could demonstrate their anger and rectify the perceived imbalance.

Here, the RIAA seeks to dismantle that means, punish those who have used it and protect the greed and imbalance of the previous system. But the simple fact is that consumers have now been empowered and as history always shows, when the masses rise up and realize that they are many while those in power are few, the result is always the same: revolution!

TerrorBeast

Matt34

Matt34

Well, I going to pretend the story is correct, damn the RIAA, trying to hold the man down!!

;)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Have you ever seen mainstream media headline-type news coverage of, say, high-end audio or video equipment? Or anything else that you're really into?

My experience is that when the mainstream media reports on something that I'm knowledgeable about (scuba diving, motorcycle riding, caving, etc) they tend to get a significant number of major points totally wrong.

I've learned not to trust them to teach me about things that I'm *not* familiar with.

They get stuff wrong *all the time*.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Humble pie...egg in the face...nonsense. You're a good, honorable man Charlie Brown. :)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
It is also noteworthy that:

The Judge in this case saw fit to issue an injunction against the miscreant prohibiting him from further copyright infringement and requiring him to destroy any unauthorized songs in any medium because:
"Howell’s disregard for copyright law suggests that further infringement is likely absent injunctive relief."
This order speaks for itself.

Furthermore, once again, the unpenitent miscreant has been fined the bare minimum per statutory guidelines...a mere $750 per offense. This is a far cry from the $30,000 per offense allowed. It is further worth noting that the plaintiffs did not seek anything above the minimum fine...they were not out to ruin this man's life.

Neither of these facts were reported in any of the blogs or accounts that I have researched. Not a one. Not even the Washington Posts account. Hmmppph. Free Press? :mad:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis