Audioholics 2007 Product of the Year Awards

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
2007 proved to be another great year of product advancements in the A/V world. 1080p went beyond just being a buzz word with inclusion into most of the new flat panel displays. Blu-ray and HD DVD continued to slug it out over dominance of the peanut gallery division. A/V receivers have gotten packed with enough processing power to run a 3rd world country or even be operated from an iPhone. With such a constant and steady fast evolution, it’s challenging to know who offers class-leading products since there are so many good solutions out there - all suited to specific market demands and client needs. With that in mind, we selected gear in each category that really stood out based on our personal experiences via reviews or demo's as well as the market trends it set based on performance, features, and value.

Discuss "Audioholics 2007 Product of the Year Awards" here. Read the article.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Lots of nice "stuff", isn't it? Jfyi, I thought the msrp of the A2 was $299. I agree that it was one of the bargains of the year @ $99, especially with free movies...madness!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Well it seems that Audioholics has similar views as Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity. Very interesting, but hey you can't argue with most of the outcomes.
other than the Onkyo 805 and JL f112 I don't see the similarities. :confused:

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Overall it was a nice list but I do wish that there were a few more items on the list. Granted 10 is a nice number but I'm sure there are a lot of GREAT products that got left out.

Devil's Advocate: Maybe the list looks too small because I know I can't afford most of the choices?? :)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I would like to put in a formal challenge in the category "Budget Floorstanding Loudspeaker". :eek:

If you would be so kind to send me a pair of the mentioned RBH Sound TK-5CT Floorstanding speakers. I would like to hear for myself if these are deserving of the top honor. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Overall it was a nice list but I do wish that there were a few more items on the list. Granted 10 is a nice number but I'm sure there are a lot of GREAT products that got left out.
The list is based solely on stuff we reviewed or have first hand experience with. This is how we do the POY awards every year.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
The list is based solely on stuff we reviewed or have first hand experience with. This is how we do the POY awards every year.
I can't argue with that .... if you haven't reviewed the item or had 1st hand experience with it then it shouldn't make the list.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
other than the Onkyo 805 and JL f112 I don't see the similarities. :confused:
Sir Gene,
With all due respect I was also pointing to the fact both lists came out the same day / time frame.
Note that an Epson LCD projector makes both lists (different models of course) Audioholics makes mention of the "pro 1080ub" and Secrets the "home 1080" either way it seems Epson must be doing something very right indeed.
Toshiba also made both lists in the HD-DVD category (again with different models).

Happy holidays!

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Sir Gene,
With all due respect I was also pointing to the fact both lists came out the same day / time frame.
Note that an Epson LCD projector makes both lists (different models of course) Audioholics makes mention of the "pro 1080ub" and Secrets the "home 1080" either way it seems Epson must be doing something very right indeed.
Toshiba also made both lists in the HD-DVD category (again with different models).

Happy holidays!

I'm sure Gene and the rest of the staff did their homework completely prior to compiling the list smurphy.

It should be no surprise (really) about the Yammy, as it is the premier flagship av receiver at the moment. Nor should Toshiba be a surprise, as they have swept bluray off the map with their good players at amazingly low prices (with free movies to boot). Ironically, bluray has now followed suit in a smaller way. Finally, 1080p is all the rage in projectors, so that Epson was mentioned (I think the Sanyo or Panny is a better choice, particularly at 1/2 the price, but Epson makes the non-pro model which is at the same price point) is no surprise to me.

So the conspiracy theory misses me completely! :p

M

mardelgo

Junior Audioholic
Z11?

I am sure that all those are great products but why the Z11 if is not been review yet? Don't get me wrong it may be one of the best receivers out there, but I thought these awards are base in objective results and no just specifications. For example, base on some reviews the Onkyo 805 can output 128 watts rms x7 , and the Yamaha 1800 only 55 watts rms x 7, and these are similar priced products with similar specifications.(I know power is not everything, but if someone is looking for an upgrade of for example 60 rms receiver I think that information will help) But if you already have a review unit and made some tests, I thinck that will explain your selection.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I am sure that all those are great products but why the Z11 if is not been review yet? Don't get me wrong it may be one of the best receivers out there, but I thought these awards are base in objective results and no just specifications. For example, base on some reviews the Onkyo 805 can output 128 watts rms x7 , and the Yamaha 1800 only 55 watts rms x 7, and these are similar priced products with similar specifications.(I know power is not everything, but if someone is looking for an upgrade of for example 60 rms receiver I think that information will help) But if you already have a review unit and made some tests, I thinck that will explain your selection.
The Z-11 just started shipping and I am one of the first in the USA to receive a sample which I currently have under review. Since I take a bit longer than the print mags to do a review as my reviews are more than just repackaged press releases, I won't have the review published until early next year. My preliminary bench tests and two 11.2 demos I witnessed at CEDIA and our State of the CE Union event has earned this receiver POY without any further justification needed.

As for the All Channels Driven nonsense, I refer you to this article:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/the-all-channels-driven-acd-amplifier-test

There is no doubt that the Onkyo 805 is the leader at its price point, hence why it received our POY award :rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis