Comcast DirecTV Lawsuit Settled

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
My HD looks better! No it doesn't, mine does! That's about the tone of last year's scuffle between Comcast and DirecTV over which company had the better looking high-definition channels. HD was used as a vehicle for comparison over the two companies as early adopters of the technology and partakers in the massive sales of high-definition products flooded the markets.

Discuss "Comcast DirecTV Lawsuit Settled" here. Read the article.

adam71

adam71

Junior Audioholic
I have a question regarding all of this. How could Comcast be anywhere near the quality of Directv?? I mean when you have Directv you're getting it directly from the satellite right? And when you have Comcast it has to be pumped to your house from a long ways away. I just don't understand how this could be an issue or a discussion. How is it that Comcast's HD is comparable to Directv.??

adam71

adam71

Junior Audioholic
Nevermind. I just answered my own question. :rolleyes: Wow can I be a dingbat at times.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
An utter waste of time and money with the attorneys making out like bandits.:mad:

A

agabriel

Junior Audioholic
its digital, it doesn't matter, the signal doesn't degrade like an analog signal.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't noticed any large differences in HD quality on both services; however, SD definitely looks better on satellite.

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
Reminds me of the competeing ads of Brillo and SOS soap pads many years ago.
Got so bad, it went to court and the judge told them to cease and desist. :D

C

cmusic

Junior Audioholic
Actually it's all in the resulting bitrate and how well it is encoded on the front-end.
I work for a telephone/ISP/TV cable company with FTTH service. Our bandwidth on HD channels go up to about 19 meg. We've checked Dish HD bandwidths (thanks to some Scientific Atlanta techs and their equipment helping us install our head end) and found most of their HD channels have about a 13-14 meg bandwidth. The SA techs say that Dish and Direct TV compress their channels to save on the bandwith going through the satellites. We've had several customers that switched from both Dish and Direct TV HD service to ours and say the same channels look better over our FTTH plant.

A

agabriel

Junior Audioholic
All codecs will vary the signal and may introduce some loss depending on the implemented algorithm. It is still a digital signal so you will either get what is distributed post algorithm or you won't, there is no in between. The losses that were tolerable with analog (leading to snow) are not tolerable with digital; which is the core of my point. You will either get what the company is sending you or you won't.

Also, depending on the processing power of the cable/sat box there are so many algorithms available to encode the data. I used a simple algorithm with an image acquistion application (running at 160 Hz) and I was able to lossly reduce the data load by up to 500% in real time. I'm sure the cable/sat companies spend a lot more time than I had to come up with new algorithms that creatively sqeeze alot of data into a small pipe.

Designing a codec is a series of trade-offs with questions like how much loss is tolerable before its noticed and then how can it be reduced. For instance the human eye can only distinguish 32 different colors from a pallette at any given time, I think they would be foolish not to use a keyed lookup table based on that, and I'm sure they do. Do they bias the algorithm to compress temporally or spatially (I'm sure they use a compression with loss); I would rather have a slight delay than a blury football. How is the sound encoded, do they send a video frame with audio multilexed in, or do they attach audio as header somewhere. As long as the box can decode what is put in does it matter? Also, at this point doesn't it become a conversation as to which algorithms do you prefer? I also wonder how many of the codecs are used by both cable & sat companies.

Anthony

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis