Is DLP Losing Ground to 3LCD?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Today 3LCD made an announcement that BenQ is releasing its new line of home theater projectors as 3LCD models. Now I understand that announcements like this may be a tad one-sided. They almost always are. But with recent lulls in advanced DLP technology, and LCD panel technology continuing to narrow the gap, today's announcement by 3LCD that BenQ is coming out with new home theater projectors utilizing 3LCD technology struck me as more than slightly profound.

Discuss "Is DLP Losing Ground to 3LCD?" here. Read the article.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
I wholeheartedly agree with your analysis. And I would even extrapolate that the size limitation of DLP means it will be harder for them to make affordable panels beyond 1920x1080. A 4K rez panel will be 4x the size of a 1080p panel, while over time a theoretical 4K LCD panel will eventually shrink to the same size as a current-gen 1080p LCD. 4x the size means 1/4 the yield.

Two years ago when I started planning my room around an eventual move to front projection I pretty much assumed it would be DLP. Over the course of my year-long remodel I have shifted my options to almost entirely LCD.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I never liked DLP anyway. It has improved from where they started, but it is still not good enough for me to purchase. I will be buying LCD.

A

autoboy

Audioholic
I'm a little confused. Isn't the point of 3DLP to eliminate the rainbow by giving you 3 distinct color sources? So wouldn't 3 LED backlighting technology make the 3DLP systems not necessary?

It still needs to alternate red, green and blue with a single-chip design. It just does it faster and without spinning.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis