Planet Waves DIY Custom Cable Making Kits

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Planet Waves had introduced kits that not only provide you with the cable and the connectors, but with a solder-less “screw” solution! Basically all you need to do is cut the cable, twist on the connector, and fasten the set screw. Wow, that sounds easy right? Too easy. You’ll end up with a bunch of cables that won’t work and you’ll have no way of knowing which right? Wrong again. With each of the new Planet Waves kits you’ll be provided with a tester so that you’ll know before you ever plug anything in that the cable works.

Discuss "Planet Waves DIY Custom Cable Making Kits" here. Read the article.

M

maphiker

Enthusiast
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy cable and connectors at Home Depot or some such place?

These are tool-less cable kits which require no soldering, etc... so there's a value there for someone wanting to tackle making their own custom-length cables without any hassle.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I hate my rats nest, but $250 buys a lot of monoprice 3ft cables. The kit should include custom length power cables. All my power cables are 6' and really don't need to be more than 12" with the power center in the same rack as the components. That's were the real rat's nest begins.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
I hate my rats nest, but $250 buys a lot of monoprice 3ft cables. The kit should include custom length power cables. All my power cables are 6' and really don't need to be more than 12" with the power center in the same rack as the components. That's were the real rat's nest begins.
I totally agree that it would be great to be able to purchase a quality customizable power cable. However one problem I see with selling a custom power cable may be large liability issues. The safety factor and requirement of having a "UL Cert. product" is part of US law, I believe. Please correct me if I am talking out my rear.

R

Rob-PW

Audiophyte
Hello All

Thank you for commenting on the New PW DIY kits;

Per the comments posted, we can understand the first level of sticker shock regarding these kits. The background of this product is as follows; over the past three years we have been refining and selling this product in the custom install market place, that is the CEDIA group of high end custom installers for home theaters, home automation, and distributed audio installations.

We specifically build the cable to highest standard for High Definition video and audio signal transmission. There is no hype with this product; we build one high quality wire that can be used for any an all coax applications, that is RF (high band width HD Satellite and cable feeds), component video, digital audio, and analog audio. We have built this cable to broadcast HD specifications holding a 75 Ohm impedance at +/- 2%; and a ultra low capacitance of 18 pf/per ft so analog audio can pass with out an filtering or distortion. Simply our goal is to provide in=Out transparency for audio and video; what you put in is what you get out.

So yes you can find cheaper product out there, but you will find with the amount of cables you can make up using one of our kits, at the quality level we put into the cable and connector construction these kits are quite a bargin comparatively to other highend cable manufacturers; roughly 30-40% less expensive then the other guy's mid-tier products; with quality that is more consistent to the higher end products.

I am more then willing to answer any questions regarding this product.

Rob D'Addario
PW Business Manager

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Just go to HD or Lowes or PE (un-named express parts supplier on 725 Pleasant Valley Drive in Springboro Ohio 45066-1158) and get some two or three prong plugs and cut and reterminate. That's what I did. Now if I take something out of the rack to another location I'll need an extension cord though.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
These are tool-less cable kits which require no soldering, etc... so there's a value there for someone wanting to tackle making their own custom-length cables without any hassle.
Too easy.
What, an audiophile not having tools or a non-audiophile? A toolbox is part of being of the male gender:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis