IBM Wants to Bring Commercials to DVDs

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
That's right. IBM is seeking to turn the industry on its ear in an attempt to levy additional ways of bringing marketing and advertisements into the living (or better stated, theater) room. Not content with DVDs which flaunt unskippable French, English and Italian Interpol warnings, IBM has just submitted a patent application whereby users could have their DVD rentals interrupted periodically throughout by - no this is not a joke - commercials. Text from the patent application is pretty clear...

Discuss "IBM Wants to Bring Commercials to DVDs" here. Read the article.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Isn't the point of DVDs to not have advertisement? I purchase or rent DVDs so I don't have to watch commercials. And the dumbest possible thing they could do is put them on TV sitcom DVD releases, because that is one major point of getting the sitcoms on DVD, NO COMMERCIALS!:mad: I don't even want the commercials at the beginning of the DVD, and they want to put them in the middle.:mad: I don't see this actually going through, if it does there are going to be a lot of super pissed off people out there.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I say add them after the credits if they must be there.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
...and they wonder why people pirate things ! this is just a bad idea don't we get enough ads? Hey I know ,we can put ads on toilet paper, yea lets do that !

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
...and they wonder why people pirate things ! this is just a bad idea don't we get enough ads? Hey I know ,we can put ads on toilet paper, yea lets do that !
exactly. The "underground" will be alive and well devising ways of cracking protection codes and removing unwanted commercials. Is it ever possible for corporate America to leave people alone and stop hounding them. Commericals never worked on me personally.

Notice to anyone from IBM and supporting the idea of commericals "Stay the hell away from us respect our privacy!!! Commercials on TV has just strengthened by resolve not to purchase anything mentioned in the commercial. You guys suck!!!"

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I especially hate the late night fast food commercials, they always make me hungry, well hungrier than I usually already am.

annunaki

annunaki

Perhaps IBM is using this a super marketing tool. They developed and/or purchased the patent with the intent to never use it so as to safe guard the consumer from it ever developing in the future??? :confused: I can hope right?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I say add them after the credits if they must be there.
Nice thought but it ain't gonna happen that way. I can't remember what it was for but I know I saw a commercial in a movie theater, probably for a sitcom. I was peeved. I only go to the movies twice a year and if DVD's have commercials I may only rent 2/yr.

I don't know how to do it right now but I'll figure out how to copy the damn things and give 'em to all my friends. That's right, both of them!:D Nope, not winning any popularity contests over here.:)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Perhaps IBM is using this a super marketing tool. They developed and/or purchased the patent with the intent to never use it so as to safe guard the consumer from it ever developing in the future??? :confused: I can hope right?
Sometimes that is the purpose of the patent. Large companies use their patent portfolio to make money from licensing but also to get more favorable licensing terms themselves.

People should not get all worked up about this. It is a patent application. It may or may not ever be granted. Even if it is granted, it may or may not ever be implemented or licensed to other companies.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
IBM is desperate? You guys obviously haven't been paying attention to financial results for the last 5 years.

The patent process is simple. You have an idea and you present it to the board. If they think there is merit to the idea and it may have licensing value now or in the future or would make business sense when negotiating licensing terms with other companies, the lawyers search for prior art and if none of significance is found, an application is drawn up and submitted. It may or may not get through the patent office and if it does it will take years. Assuming it is granted, it may or may not ever be implemented.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
IBM is desperate? You guys obviously haven't been paying attention to financial results for the last 5 years.

The patent process is simple. You have an idea and you present it to the board. If they think there is merit to the idea and it may have licensing value now or in the future or would make business sense when negotiating licensing terms with other companies, the lawyers search for prior art and if none of significance is found, an application is drawn up and submitted. It may or may not get through the patent office and if it does it will take years. Assuming it is granted, it may or may not ever be implemented.
Though not a dog, IBM stock during the 52 week period that ended in 8-25-06 fluctuated in value from 72.73 and 89.94 per share. On 8-25-06 the value of stock ranged between 79.14 and 80.00 per share, slightly lower than the year's high value, the company really hasn't made or lost much since last year. As for their five year outlook, the stock fluctuated from a high of $120 per share to a low under $60.00, the spread was experienced in 2002. Since '02 the stock has mellowed making slight adjustments to its value year after year. Between 2002 and 2003 the value went from a bit over $120.00 down to $80.00 per, then between '03 and '04 there was a slight improvement to $93.00 per, then between '05 and '06 a slight downturn occurred where it opened at $81.00 per. According to analysts IBM looks strong, but it's inability to make real gains over the past 5 years point to internal weaknesses, also it's high debt to cash ratio and overall size of it's debt make a lot analysts leery. On the plus side, IBM does pay a dividend on it's stock at a rate of about 1.2 per, which is about a 1.5% yield.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Though not a dog, IBM stock during the 52 week period that ended in 8-25-06 fluctuated in value from 72.73 and 89.94 per share. On 8-25-06 the value of stock ranged between 79.14 and 80.00 per share, slightly lower than the year's high value, the company really hasn't made or lost much since last year. As for their five year outlook, the stock fluctuated from a high of $120 per share to a low under $60.00, the spread was experienced in 2002. Since '02 the stock has mellowed making slight adjustments to its value year after year. Between 2002 and 2003 the value went from a bit over $120.00 down to $80.00 per, then between '03 and '04 there was a slight improvement to $93.00 per, then between '05 and '06 a slight downturn occurred where it opened at $81.00 per. According to analysts IBM looks strong, but it's inability to make real gains over the past 5 years point to internal weaknesses, also it's high debt to cash ratio and overall size of it's debt make a lot analysts leery. On the plus side, IBM does pay a dividend on it's stock at a rate of about 1.2 per, which is about a 1.5% yield.

Can you translate that into laymen terms for us big guy? :D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Can you translate that into laymen terms for us big guy? :D
It's getting by, with a lot of debt strapped onto it. They sold their pc business to Lenovo back in 2005 for about 1.2 billion as they needed cash to service their huge debt. One wrong turn and they can be in trouble and would need to file for restructuring.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It's getting by, with a lot of debt strapped onto it. They sold their pc business to Lenovo back in 2005 for about 1.2 billion as they needed cash to service their huge debt. One wrong turn and they can be in trouble and would need to file for restructuring.

Thats interesing Strat. IBM just bought out Cognos, a local company of ~1000 employees. If what your saying is true, then the people at Cognos are in for a rough ride

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
The guy who put the Windex™ commercial on My Big Fat Greek Wedding DVD should sue IBM for stealing his idea. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

You're not really a caveman at all. That's probably not your real picture either. I've been bamboozled!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
You're not really a caveman at all. That's probably not your real picture either. I've been bamboozled!
I apologize. My people always get a bad rap, if not the slimy green gecko trying to be smarter, then Hollywood canceling "our" show, yes my friend prejudice still thrives, it's not easy trying to fit into your society.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis