DVD Burning Kiosks a Thing of the Past

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When Reuters put out a story this weekend that Walgreens were going to start providing DVD burning kiosks in their stores, my reaction wasn't, "Wow that's cool!" as much as it was, "Um… why haven't they done this sooner?" With the release of the high def formats (however successful they may ultimately end up being) now taking up the majority of the headlines, it does seem a little late in the game to be pushing something that should have been available years ago.

Discuss "DVD Burning Kiosks a Thing of the Past" here. Read the article.

bigbangtheory

Audioholic
When Reuters put out a story this weekend that Walgreens were going to start providing DVD burning kiosks in their stores, my reaction wasn't, "Wow that's cool!" as much as it was, "Um… why haven't they done this sooner?" With the release of the high def formats (however successful they may ultimately end up being) now taking up the majority of the headlines, it does seem a little late in the game to be pushing something that should have been available years ago.

Discuss "DVD Burning Kiosks a Thing of the Past" here. Read the article.
I read the article; good job, Tom, and AGREED!

And the winner of the format war is.......*drum roll*.....

DOWNLOADABLE (i.e. non-physical) MEDIA!!! YAY!!

K

kens

Enthusiast
Whole heartedly agree! We don't need no stinkin' format war, just let us download the content. The music industry is just figuring out that the major labels can actually sell direct to the consumer bypassing all the middlemen (though they will probably sell for more than itunes). If they would for once just think in terms of satisfying their end customers. Sorry, I forgot myself, that is way too much to ask of them. :mad:

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
downloadable? Not going to happen...

"high" speed broadband has very low penitration in the market... and honestly, most people are too ignorant to know how to burn their own DVD... or even just copy it to their hard drive and play it on their TV.

So... downloadable is a non-starter for most of the market... in fact it is a waste of time, since it will be such a niche market.

Now... DVD burners SOUND good... but this is a "impulse" buy... who wants to wait 10minutes (or longer) while your DVD is burned... or worse...wait in a queue for someone who bought every episode of the black addler. Nah... not going to happen either... waste of time...

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Well it was an interesting article and good coverage/opinion of it by Tom (as usual). I am not sure what kleinwl's point is about too dificult to burn and such. If this was adopted by the studios it would only work if the likes of Apple, MS, Roxio, Nero and others came up with easier to use 1-2 click burning methods. I have no doubt that if it was available to the mainstream burning would be developed into an easy to use method and would garner much praise. I can remember back in 1993 how difficult it was to "surf the net", mainly because there was little to actually surf but also beczuse it was painstakingly slow. I guess kleinwl can't argue that the web has become easier and cought on somewhat by now.
How many years did it take for Blockbuster to carry just DVDs; phasing out VHS tapes? Technology is slow to be adopted by the norm especially when there is a want (but no real need) to keep a contolling-choke hold on it.

Burn Baby Burn! Arrrg, who hornswaggled my last Verbatim?

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I wasn't aware that burning movies had any advantages beyond being able to stay home while doing it. If you are going to go to a store anyhow, why not just buy the prerecorded DVD instead?:confused:

T

TRosenbaum

Audiophyte
Boys..good news..its happeneing. DVD on Demand at retail is the next wave. From TV Series compiliations to feature films and it will be much greater of a selction than most expect, the "Long Tail" is boring and thats what the interenet surfer will look for.
You will see Just aired TV to New Release featuresa as well as TV never released to DVD from all genres. The process has improved to 4 to 6 minute burns and will cater to more retail niche verticals well beyond the BIG 3 that sell most of the videos. Just trhink about getting instructional and educational videos at the retal enviroment like hardware, kitchen and bath, office, sporting goods, etc..instead of waiting to go home and find it on the inernet..The limitations from the home and confusion between medias and its standards will continue to support the majority consumer looking to buy DVDs and watch them on their TV no matter the optical disc format HD or SD.
We have over 10,000 titles licensed at Polar fRog Digital for DVD on Demand and will continue tose efforts place solution in retail enviroments taht can monetize the niche content and satisfy the consumer that took the time to leave the home.
Stay Tuned!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis