Oppo HM-31 HDMI 3/1 Switcher Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Oppo's HM-31 is what I like to call "full featured." What's full featured to an HDMI switch? How 'bout it does everything you expect it to plus some? How 'bout it has every custom integration option you'll ever need? How 'bout it looks so nice that you'll want to upgrade the components sitting near it? Sure it's just an HDMI switch but when it does so many things right, it's easy to get excited about it.

Discuss "Oppo HM-31 HDMI 3/1 Switcher Review" here. Read the article.

B

blacks4

Audiophyte
Curious of compatibility with HD-XA2

I have an HD-XA2 which won't work at all through a 5x1 HDMI switch from Impact Acoustics. Toshiba said it's not meant to work through a switch (only a direct connection or through an HDMI receiver).

I'm just curious if this switch is any different. Thanks.

- Steve

A

Austin M

Enthusiast
Question about Connecting

Can you plug this into one of the HDMI-switching ports on a Denon receiver (expanding the number of HDMI ports), or does this need to plug straight into the TV? Do HDMI devices work when routed through two switches?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I was disappointed in the Oppo switcher because it doesn't turn on and off. It stays on constantly. In other words, for me it isn't full featured at all. I had one of the little 2 port switches from Mono price. It was less than half the price of the Oppo and was a better unit all the way around. I could even program it to turn on and off with my universal remote. I got the Oppo when I needed to upgrade to a 3 port unit thinking it would be better than the Monoprice. Not better. I recommend the Monoprice.

In my opinion it is a MAJOR PLUS that there is no on/off switch. I never want any HDMI switchers to have a power control, nor does any custom installer that I know of.

Austin M: You can absolutely switch into a receiver input, HDCP-issues notwithstanding of course...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The one I have works like that with more or less automatic switching, though I don't think it has the same "priority" function. Whichever one is on first gets priority. It also has no power button.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I have an HD-XA2 which won't work at all through a 5x1 HDMI switch from Impact Acoustics. Toshiba said it's not meant to work through a switch (only a direct connection or through an HDMI receiver).

I'm just curious if this switch is any different. Thanks.

- Steve
I'll be testing this out as soon as I can. I'll let you know.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Can you plug this into one of the HDMI-switching ports on a Denon receiver (expanding the number of HDMI ports), or does this need to plug straight into the TV? Do HDMI devices work when routed through two switches?
Clint already answered this but again, yes. For the review, the Oppo was used between two transports and a Denon 2307CI receiver. I experienced no problems.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I connected the Toshiba HD-A2 through the HM-31 and verified that I got a picture up on my display. I haven't done any more testing yet but so far it looks like there are no compatibility issues. I can only assume that the XA2 will be the same.

B

blacks4

Audiophyte
I was disappointed in the Oppo switcher because it doesn't turn on and off. It stays on constantly. In other words, for me it isn't full featured at all. I had one of the little 2 port switches from Mono price. It was less than half the price of the Oppo and was a better unit all the way around. I could even program it to turn on and off with my universal remote. I got the Oppo when I needed to upgrade to a 3 port unit thinking it would be better than the Monoprice. Not better. I recommend the Monoprice.
Who cares if you can't turn it off? Why would you really want to?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis