Say goodbye to analog TVs

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
History was made today, our old beloved spinach-green friend is gone, a victim of unstoppable technology. You can argue it was long overdue, but you must admit ol' spinach-green gave us plenty of joy Saturday mornings watching the Roadrunner play with the Coyote's head. Long before the digital age dawned it was our only friend and he will be missed for nostalgia's sake, here's to ol' spinach-green, may your analog circuits rest in peace.

America's largest consumer electronics seller Best Buy effectively stopped selling analog sets October first and will instead participate in a converter box coupon program sponsored by the government. The company said it pulled all remaining analog sets from the shelves and issued orders to all stores to stop selling analog sets immediately, although Best Buy said it will continue to support analog TV owners by carrying coupon-eligible converter boxes beginning early next year under the U.S. Department of Commerce's voluntary National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) DTV Converter Box Coupon Program.

Best Buy will also set up recycling options for consumers wishing to replace their old analog TVs with new digital ones. Smart sales move.

Under the government's DTV Converter Box Coupon Program, which goes into effect on January 1, 2008, U.S. households can request up to two electronic coupons, at a value of $40.00 each , that can be used in participating retailers toward the purchase of eligible digital-to-analog converter boxes. Best Buy says it will start accepting coupons next year as the program gets on its way. So long spinach-green!

annunaki

annunaki

I am glad to see this take place. It means we finally not have another date pushed back and we can finally embrace the digital age.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
There is a bit of nostalgia attached though. Remember the old sets when turned off there remained a phosphorescent dot in the middle of the screen for about two seconds.:D

annunaki

annunaki

I say forget nostalgia. We had the same television transmission system for 50+ years. It had its day in the sun, just die already. :D

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
do you think it's the same here in canada? any news?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I said goodbye to my analog TV the first week of June. I will be saying hello to my new digital TV around Thanksgiving.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
do you think it's the same here in canada? any news?
"The CRTC (Canadian-radio television and Telecommunications Commission) has stated that come the end of August 2011, all television stations will need to broadcast in ATSC digital format only, the only exception will be the rural and northern most areas where analog broadcasting may continue for an undetermined period."

So you've got till the end of August 2011 to get a digital ready TV.:D

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Best Buy goes Digital

As the government mandated all-digital broadcast TV deadline approaches (February 17, 2009), Best Buy decided to discontinue selling analogue TVs as of October 1st. This move comes on the heels of an announcement by John Kneuer that RadioShack had pledged to sell converter boxes by January 1st. Best Buy also pledges to sell the converter boxes (which will enable people with analogue TV's to receive and view digital broadcasts).

Discuss "Best Buy goes Digital" here. Read the article.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Best Buy still sells CRTs and still sells analog tuner TVs.

They stopped selling TVs with ONLY analog tuners.

You can go into Best Buy and choose from dozens of tube TVs with analog inputs.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
The two in my neighborhood don't, they filled the shelves with cheap boomboxes and radios. They had one analog set with a sticker, I went yesterday, all I saw were boomboxes, maybe they'll re-stock with digital ready CRTs.

Radio Shack was just fined $100,000.00 for having analog sets without the sticker, I'll see if I can find the link.

Here it is: http://www.broadcsatingcable.com/article/CA6491624.html?rssid=193

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The Best Buy web site is showing me that all six stores in the Miami area have *lots* of CRTs with analog (and digital) tuners in stock.

The store are:
Tropicaire
Hialeah
Dadeland
Aventura
W Kendall
Pembroke Pines

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I went to Tropicaire and Kendall yesterday, they didn't have any. So I don't know what to tell you. Maybe they were moving stuff around or perhaps getting ready to re-sticker, not sure. I'll swing by Tropicaire tomorrow.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe they... moved them? I don't know, LOL. I'm not accusing you of anything.

My store has shelves of CRTs back in the corner. They're not going anywhere any time soon. They will keep selling cheap tube TVs for some time yet.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Moved as in back of store, stock area. I have a good friend that works at Tropicaire, he's in tomorrow, I'll go and talk to him maybe he knows what is going on. BTW, I didn't think you were (lol).

V

videobruce

Audioholic
"Analog" or "CRT"??
As usual, the consumer electronics industry only adds more confusion to the mix.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis