Video: Dolby Interview at CEDIA 2007

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Craig Eggers is interviewed by our own Gene DellaSala to discuss the next generation AV receivers and HD-DVD players which enable the user to have an experience in the home that is equivalent to the studio masters. Dolby discusses the upcoming Audioholics State of the CE Union event where Dolby will be doing an impressive 7.1 demo. Craig also clears up some misconceptions about Dolby TrueHD.

Discuss "Video: Dolby Interview at CEDIA 2007" here. Read the article.

C

ceberle

Audiophyte
I'm really enjoying the new videos on Audioholics. Great job in all aspects! Is there a way to play the videos in a standalone app? I watched about 35 minutes of the "Best of Cedia" video and was interrupted. When I reopened my browser later, I discovered I couldn't fast forward to where I'd left off. It would also be nice to know how long the videos are so I can be sure to have enough time to watch them all the way through since there doesn't seem to be a way to resume.

Chris in NY

We're trying to quickly replace the video player app for you guys. The one that's there is awful!

Thanks for the feedback - it's only going to get better.

A

acacia987

Junior Audioholic
quick clarification question

so if i have a HD-dvd player that can decode trueHD, and then connect it to my receiver via coaxial/optical inputs. i can still be able to enjoy the improved quality of trueHD? and if so what would then be the incentive to upgrade the receiver to one with HDMI 1.3a inputs and the ability to decode trueHD? would the sound quality be that much better if you would let your receiver do the decoding(depending on the receiver quality obviously)?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
so if i have a HD-dvd player that can decode trueHD, and then connect it to my receiver via coaxial/optical inputs. i can still be able to enjoy the improved quality of trueHD? and if so what would then be the incentive to upgrade the receiver to one with HDMI 1.3a inputs and the ability to decode trueHD? would the sound quality be that much better if you would let your receiver do the decoding(depending on the receiver quality obviously)?
If your HD-DVD player can decode TrueHD internally you have two options to output this sound to your receiver. The first and more common is use HDMI via this method all the information will be passed via the single cable and if your receiver has audio repeating it can send the signal to each speaker appropriately. The other option is using the analog outs on your HD-DVD player with this method you will have a single RCA per speaker so 5 plus one for the sub if you have a 5.1 system.

As far as I know you will not be able to use a Toslink or coaxial cable to get this uncompressed signals. As far as upgrading receivers there is no real reason unless for some reason you believe the receiver will do a better job than the player at decoding the HD audio formats. The only thing HDMI 1.3a allows in terms of HD audio is allowing for transfer of a bitstream signal. As long as the receiver you have either has analog inputs or at least HDMI 1.1 and audio repeating one should be able to gain full advantage of this uncompressed sound.

T

terror_beast

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, just to clarify on the above question, you CANNOT use optical/Toslink or coax digital connections for Dolby TrueHD. For Dolby TrueHD (and Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio for that matter), you MUST use either a HDMI connection or a 5.1/7.1 analogue connection.

Optical and coax digital do not have enough bandwidth to carry the new audio formats. Optical and coax digital can carry a Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24 or 2.1 channel PCM bitstream signal.

If I had my way, there would be no need for all of this confusion. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio both deliver lossless, bit-for-bit studio master quality. Uncompressed PCM can also deliver the same quality, but requires signifcantly more space and bandwidth to do so.

But my point is that there are three viable solutions for bringing pristine quality audio into our homes. With that many options, why on Earth should we settle for anything less?

When it comes to HD-DVD and Blu-ray, there should simply be a standard in place that EVERY SINGLE TITLE offers at least one of those three options. And EVERY SINGLE PLAYER should be able to decode and mix all three of those lossless audio formats.

If that standard were in place for all hardware and software, then all you would need is the 5.1/7.1 analogue inputs on the back of your receiver or any version of HDMI with the ability to process uncompressed multi-channel PCM in the receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis