A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I was thrilled to get my hands on this projector for my first review for the good folks at Audioholics. Understanding that this projector is intended to be a data projector more than a home theater projector, I wasn’t expecting great performance from it in that particular use. Wow, was I in for a surprise once I got started. At under $1000, this little projector is a real gem for either work or play. If you’re in the market for a powerful yet small and transportable projector under the $1000 mark… seriously consider this one.

Discuss "Optoma EP749 DLP" here. Read the article.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I like the article up to a point.

What I don't like, is that I really feel that every projector needs to be rated on how it actually stands up against projectors that people may be considering for home theater use. In this regard, cheap DLP projectors tend to have limited throw range and no lens shift.

This means that their setup is fixed, and is not at all 'easy' or 'ergonomic' - both scores which rated 5 stars. Typically, a projector with very limited lens options is, at best, average, but compared to what is out there, especially in home theater, for a few bucks more, this lack of zoom and lens shift should put the projector well under 'average'.

The zoom range on this particular model is 1.1 to 1 which means that if you have a 100" diagonal (4x3) image, the projector may only sit about 13 to 14 feet from the screen. If your couch is there? Oh well, just move it forward and live with what it is!

Not exactly usable or friendly for many.

If the results are specific to comparitive 'boardroom' type projectors, I would agree, that it is 'average'. I have seen a couple dozen different boardroom projectors in the past few months, and they all look so similar it's amazing. Really, does this one stand out in that regard?

I just don't imaging how a non-HD, 4x3 projector, with poor handling of HD material, actually rates FOUR stars overall on a home A/V website. Value? Even there - for the same money you have several true HD projection units available.

B

BrianATS

Audiophyte
I agree with the performance on this model, it's been reliable for years for us. The connections on it are great for a lot of different devices.. laptop, dvd player, etc. I wish there was an HDMI input or the adjustable foot was a little better constructed, but still an overall great choice for presentation. Good review!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I see the name "Optoma", I run the opposite direction!:eek:

It doesn't matter if it is a projector or a projector screen.

I run the heck in the opposite direction!:eek:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Holy Necrobump!

Had to go back 4 years to dig this one out of the gutter.

B

BrianATS

Audiophyte
Wow, it has been a while :). Just thought I'd comment because it's been a projector that lasts for years.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis