Marantz VP-15S1 DLP Projector First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Marantz has once again released another iteration of its high-end “True View” DLP projectors. This time, the VP-15S1 features 1080p single-chip DLP action and a host of options for anamorphic lens options - including two each of the motorized and manual flavors. The VP-15S1 features Konica Minolta Optics, Gennum Processing, and a pair of HDMI 1.3 inputs with full support for Deep Color 12-bit color depth. The true 1080p (1920 x 1080) resolution is something that ensures the image will be smooth and true to life. For video processing and scaling duties, the Marantz projector features a Gennum GF9351 VXP system. Retail price? Well, if you ask, then you really can't afford it.

Discuss "Marantz VP-15S1 DLP Projector First Look" here. Read the article.

D

Dan Miller

Audiophyte
480i

Hi Gene, Dan Miller of Marantz here...

I'm not sure which sources led you to believe that the VP-15S1 wouldn't handle 480i, but they misled you. That is something that we wouldn't give up.

I can't wait for your full review...

Dan Miller
Marantz America

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would like to see the full review as well. The projector looks good, to bad there isn't a center mounted lens as many manufacturers are finally getting back to.

The preview is also incorrect in stating that there are not any 1080/60p sources as most 1080p devices out there are not putting out 1080/60i 1080/30p or 1080/24p but are indeed putting out 1080/60p. Yes, the original source isn't 1080/60p, but that's the format that is being sent to the display.

I am really interested in how the projector actually deals with 1080/24p... does it operate at 72hz, or 120hz? Or something else to properly eliminate judder... Or does it just convert it all to 60hz and put the judder right back in?

It is nice to see the throw distance and serial protocols right on the site. Wish there was more information on the amount of lens shift that the projector provides, but it looks like does have it and can get the projector a fair bit above the top edge of the screen.

Bummer that Marantz doesn't know how to properly pin out a DB-9 for serial control - but at least it is a DB-9 instead of a din-8 connector. Would be interesting to find out if they provide unrequested information via serial instead of requiring users to poll every few seconds to make sure things are accurate. Also kind of annoying that lamp hours are reported in hex format instead of an integer value. Ah well, small complaints about a company that has done a pretty good job with their projectors over the years... no comment on their receivers. ;)

Last edited:
D

Dan Miller

Audiophyte
1080p/24 into the projector yields 1080p/48 displayed.

What is the concern about a center mounted lens?

The lens shift information is on our site. It's in the throw distance chart, because I wrote it! I state it as a max above the screen. From that point you can shift down until about 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen.

What is wrong about the pins for our serial control? All of our devices use straight through cables, not null-modem.

Hope that helps...

Dan

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
1080p/24 into the projector yields 1080p/48 displayed.

What is the concern about a center mounted lens?

The lens shift information is on our site. It's in the throw distance chart, because I wrote it! I state it as a max above the screen. From that point you can shift down until about 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen.

What is wrong about the pins for our serial control? All of our devices use straight through cables, not null-modem.

Hope that helps...

Dan
Center mounted lenses seemed to be the standard fora few years, then everything began shifting off center with DLP/LCD projectors, in more recent models the shift back to center mounted lenses has made a pretty strong comeback. The BenQ W10000, the JVC, and others are all going with a center mount lens. This is a huge plus when determining how to place the mount, or build a hush box, etc. It means that you build everything on center, it helps to eliminate any confusion for the installation technicians, or even moreso, cabinet builders, who may not always have the projector in hand and on site to perfectly measure the left/right offset of the lens to projector center.

The info on the chart is good, but it lists a max above the top of the screen - far better than many list. It just isn't listed as a range really, but is a lot better than many others provide.

The pinout is 2/3 backwards for the gender of the connector you have on. Controlled devices should always have a female connection, not a male connection. A serial cable which has the same ends on it (male/male or female/female) should always be a crossover cable, not a straight through. It is only M/F cables that should be straight through. Since computers (international standard) are male connectors, 2(rx), 3(tx), 5(gnd), then the projector should have a female connector with 2(tx), 3(rx), 5(gnd). It isn't the pinout that is really wrong, but it is the actual gender of the connector.

It's kind of minor things that I notice when looking at things, but without the serial guide, I would go with the industry standard assumption that the cable is a crossover, not a straight through, because of the connector that is on it.

:)

Think of it as constructive criticism over a minor complaint.

I'm not sure which sources led you to believe that the VP-15S1 wouldn't handle 480i [via HDMI], but they misled you. That is something that we wouldn't give up.
It's actually in your User Manual - Page 36, available online. I thought it was odd as well - must simply be a typo.

PS - Thanks so much for posting here - nothing like hearing from the proverbial horses mouth!

D

Dan Miller

Audiophyte
I would go with the industry standard assumption that the cable is a crossover, not a straight through, because of the connector that is on it
I don't think that Radio Shack was responding to us when they started selling this: Model number 26-152 (I tried to post the link, but this system won't let me post links yet), but it is a 6' female to female straight through serial cable.

Seriously, you talk about "should be" and "standards" where there aren't any. There are "conventions" but even then they are all over the board. If you talk to the engineers at Crestron (arguably they know more about this than most of us-- also we are the interntaional distribution point for their products), they will agree that products are all over the board. This is why most installers just wire their own cables the way they need.

You should know that in the world of consumer AV and custom installation, we are one of the most highly regarded to work with. We were the first to the game with all discrete IR codes, DC triggers and more. We are one of the few that includes not only direct flasher inputs, but IR receiver inputs which can directly power a separate IR system with no connecting block necessary. And if you are to believe Crestron, we have one of the best 232 protocols in the industry.

Anyway thanks for the interest! :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think that Radio Shack was responding to us when they started selling this: Model number 26-152 (I tried to post the link, but this system won't let me post links yet), but it is a 6' female to female straight through serial cable.
There are cables made for about all types of pinouts, and I'm not saying things to be a jerk, but because most CE manufacturers simply choose to ignore industry standards.

Seriously, you talk about "should be" and "standards" where there aren't any. There are "conventions" but even then they are all over the board. If you talk to the engineers at Crestron (arguably they know more about this than most of us-- also we are the interntaional distribution point for their products), they will agree that products are all over the board. This is why most installers just wire their own cables the way they need.
This is not correct. There are standards, and they are used by every single computer manufacturer in the world, as well as Crestron.
EIA-574 standard, as shown here:
http://www.arcelect.com/rs232.htm

Your competition, including Barco and Clarity as well as a long list of others utilize input and output RS-232 DB9 connections which follow industry standard: Input = DB9F TX2, RX3, Gnd5 - Output DB9M RX2, RX3, Gnd5

When 100% of PCs follow this standard, Crestron follows this standard, and your competition follows this standard, I would say that you are incorrect when you say that there is no standard.

It is more accurate to say that much of the industry doesn't care enough to actually understand the standards in place to follow through with them on their products.

You should know that in the world of consumer AV and custom installation, we are one of the most highly regarded to work with. We were the first to the game with all discrete IR codes, DC triggers and more. We are one of the few that includes not only direct flasher inputs, but IR receiver inputs which can directly power a separate IR system with no connecting block necessary. And if you are to believe Crestron, we have one of the best 232 protocols in the industry.
So is it cocky, or is there room for improvement? Seriously, step back because I'm not going off on it as a bunch of crap product. It really bugs me when the rhetoric from companies emphasizes how great they are instead of recognizing areas they could actually improve upon.

Such as:

Does this projector actually have voluntary feedback, or must it be polled for status update?

Does this projector instantly turn on and then off? If not, why are there only two power states? Shouldn't there be four? At least? Power Off, Warming Up, Power On, and Cooling Down.

What if there is a lamp failure or some other problem that is preventing the projector from turning on? Is that reported via serial?

I'm not here to complain about the image quality, or other things which are good with the projector, or even to complain about the serial protocols that are there. It is just that if you think there isn't room for improvement, and that others don't have better, then you are incorrect, and I would consider how to improve as a company everytime a new model comes out so that it can be better.

FYI: In my years dealing with Marantz products, your projectors have stood out head and shoulders above other products I have used from the company for quality and controlability. Yet, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the controlability of the projector is better than many other companies out there. I would consider it close to average.

Anyway thanks for the interest! :)
That's all it is man, interest in the product.

D

Dan Miller

Audiophyte
I've been out of the country for a week, so I didn't get a chance to respond...

Pioneer Elite = Male
Meridian = Male
Yamaha = Male
Denon = Female
Sony = Male
Onkyo = Female

I'm not point this out to be obstinate, but to show that it is truly all over the place.

But there is another point I wish to make. I have been the product manager for video for 3 years and the training manager for the previous 7; prior to that I also did training for Sony for 6 years. In the 17 years that I have been working closely with all of the best installers in the business (literally in the thousands), this is the FIRST TIME that this has been mentioned. Why do you think that is? Because any installer who didin't fall of the box van yesterday will check the configuration before wiring anything.

I take personal offense when you use the term rhetoric. Maybe you don't know me, if so I understand. But I do not spout the company line and that has gotten me in trouble more that I like to think about.

You should check before you make your comments though...

There is voluntary feedback and it can be turned off if you like.
There are four power states.
Failures are reported along with basic service codes.
Colors can be locked on for calibration.
Etc...
Etc...

We have a policy of "never best, only better" and have continuous improvement meetings every two weeks via teleconference with our engineers from all over the world.

There are slight improvements in the control for the VP-15 from the VP-11 previous, and the VP-11 from the VP-12 before it. For example in stead of asking the programmers to wait to issue the input select command until the projector can actually change states (after warmup) we buffer the command now if it is issued during this period and issue it internally after warmup is complete. Was this necessary? Nope. But we realized that saving an installer from having to remember that there was a period that needed attention seemed like an improvment that was warranted.

Writing software for a product is BY FAR the most expensive part of the manufacturing process. Even so, we have these meetings on a regularly occurring basis as well as quarterly meetings with Crestron engineers and twice a year our engineers visit our top install accounts around the country, just to find out what they think is necessary, as opposed to what WE think. And as much as I got a kick out of your comments about the gender of the connector, I sent it over to Japan and it will go into consideration.

We are always looking to improve. But everything gets weighed according to real world importance and cost of the change.

Again, thanks for your comments...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I've been out of the country for a week, so I didn't get a chance to respond...
That's fine - and I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Please see my further breakout of your list...
- Pioneer Elite = Male - straight through, similar to your projector
- Meridian = Male - Null cable, conforms to EIA standards
- Yamaha = Male - Null cable, conforms to EIA standards
- Denon = Female - Straight through (M->F) conforms to EIA standards
- Sony = Male - Null cable, conforms to EIA standards
- Onkyo = Female - Straight through (M->F) conforms to EIA standards

I'm not point this out to be obstinate, but to show that it is truly all over the place.
I wouldn't think you are, but I wasn't sure if you were aware that of those 6 you listed, only one other company does not conform to EIA standards. Since manufacturers (I'm not calling you guys out!) often do not include serial protocols or solid documentation on their pinouts, or the guys may not have the actual equipment in the field when wiring up DB9 connectors, they have a rule they are trained to follow: If you are putting the same end on the serial cable, make it a null cable, if you are putting different ends on the cable, make it straight through.

Yes, there about 20% of product I have worked on does not conform to EIA standards, but 80% of it does, and I always encourage vendors to work towards EIA specifications. Including removal of such headache connections as mini-din-8 connectors (ala Panasonic and Sanyo!).

But there is another point I wish to make. I have been the product manager for video for 3 years and the training manager for the previous 7; prior to that I also did training for Sony for 6 years. In the 17 years that I have been working closely with all of the best installers in the business (literally in the thousands), this is the FIRST TIME that this has been mentioned. Why do you think that is? Because any installer who didin't fall of the box van yesterday will check the configuration before wiring anything.
I'm really not sure why. I know that in the time that I've worked A/V that the standard installer response has been to simply shut up and not provide feedback on items of this nature and to act more like a tech rolling with the punches instead of an engineer trying to make the product better.

From my point of view, I nitpick all the details, and when those details are perfect, I then nitpick them again. Even if the details are my own work - in fact, especially when they are my own work.

I take personal offense when you use the term rhetoric. Maybe you don't know me, if so I understand. But I do not spout the company line and that has gotten me in trouble more that I like to think about.
I understand and appreciate that statement more than you know.

(NOTE: Will edit a bit more of my response when I'm at home and have some time this evening)

There is voluntary feedback and it can be turned off if you like.
There are four power states.
Failures are reported along with basic service codes.
Colors can be locked on for calibration.
Etc...
Etc...

We have a policy of "never best, only better" and have continuous improvement meetings every two weeks via teleconference with our engineers from all over the world.

There are slight improvements in the control for the VP-15 from the VP-11 previous, and the VP-11 from the VP-12 before it. For example in stead of asking the programmers to wait to issue the input select command until the projector can actually change states (after warmup) we buffer the command now if it is issued during this period and issue it internally after warmup is complete. Was this necessary? Nope. But we realized that saving an installer from having to remember that there was a period that needed attention seemed like an improvment that was warranted.

Writing software for a product is BY FAR the most expensive part of the manufacturing process. Even so, we have these meetings on a regularly occurring basis as well as quarterly meetings with Crestron engineers and twice a year our engineers visit our top install accounts around the country, just to find out what they think is necessary, as opposed to what WE think. And as much as I got a kick out of your comments about the gender of the connector, I sent it over to Japan and it will go into consideration.

We are always looking to improve. But everything gets weighed according to real world importance and cost of the change.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I did, I just didn't check close enough as I stopped at the PWR? query and didn't catch that there was a separate POW? query. My bad.

Excellent, care to quit Marantz and go to D&M Pro? They could really use your help and mentality.

Since this is something that is often required of programmers to do after the fact in programming, it is great to see!

I appreciate it, and I hope you see from the list above, that there really is something that approaches a standard that many manufacturers do follow. The gender isn't as important as the pinout, and the pinout should follow with EIA DB9 standards.

Dan - seriously, I will always look at any product and be able to find a way to improve it or ask "Why didn't they do this?" - but as I look over the protocols there is very little that I find at fault. If I were going to make a wish list for the protocols then I would ask for a warmup and a cooldown countdown timer which would provide accurate feedback of these times... which is, as my other statements have all been: nitpicks.

Also I would ask for the return number of hours to be decimal instead of hex so the conversion doesn't have to take place.

Give me a few days pulling the projector apart and I'll probably come up with half a dozen other things to complain about on a projector that IS ahead of much of the competition, but I would do so for one reason...

...because you actually are here listening to the comments and I appreciate you doing so.

Next episode... why is it we don't get more DLP projectors without 2:1 zoom lenses and with lens shift that doesn't run in the 135% of screen height range? ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis