Status
Not open for further replies.
A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
According to a report by The Sun, Conservatives in the UK are proposing a ban on plasma TVs and other energy-inefficient electronics. Included are devices such as refrigerators, PCs, DVD players and other items that "use too much energy" or operate while in standby mode (an obvious revelation of the stupidity of those involved since standby modes necessitate that the product be in a state of low energy use.) The ideas come from Satan (who apparently works through a Conservative group set up by David Cameron to develop policies to protect the environment.) The article states that the Conservatives will also propose scrapping Gross Domestic Product (GDP) as a measure of the nation’s success in favor of a model that measures people’s happiness drawn up up by Friends of the Earth.

Discuss "UK to Ban Plasmas?" here. Read the article.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Conservatives? Ah well. Life will be just a little tougher without refrigerators, I guess.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I guess those conservatives over there are the opposites of the environmentalists here then? :confused:

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The article states that the Conservatives will also propose scrapping Gross Domestic Product (GDP) as a measure of the nation’s success in favor of a model that measures people’s happiness drawn up up by Friends of the Earth.
If the Conservatives are moving to mindless economics, Britain is in trouble. This doesn't even rise to the level of voo-doo economics. Margaret Thatcher must have puked in her mouth, just a little.

Can we get a link to the source of the article? It seems surreal.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This could be good only if it causes manufacturers to make more energy compliant devices to stay competitive in that market space. It would be better if it wasn't a ban as much as an incentive for manufacturers to make more energy efficient displays.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Opposite?

I guess those conservatives over there are the opposites of the environmentalists here then? :confused:
The way I read the article, seems like Conservatives in England are the oposites of Conservatives here in the United states. They seem synonymous to enviromentalists here. :p

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
The way I read the article, seems like Conservatives in England are the oposites of Conservatives here in the United states. They seem synonymous to enviromentalists here. :p
Thanks, that's what I meant. I am a caveman you know.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
If the Conservatives are moving to mindless economics, Britain is in trouble. This doesn't even rise to the level of voo-doo economics. Margaret Thatcher must have puked in her mouth, just a little.

Can we get a link to the source of the article? It seems surreal.
LOL that old battle axe has been out of office since 1990 from 1979 to 1990 she made things worse:( glad the old cow is out. As to a waste of electricity I don’t think its wise to run a load of these plasma screens all at once in high street stores like Dixons what a waste of money.

The iron lady
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Thatcher

The Sun newspaper
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007420012,00.html

Thanks, that's what I meant. I am a caveman you know.
LOL you don’t say.:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
So no computers, Refrigerators, or TVs... well there is only one thing left to say.

The United Kingdom, the worlds biggest camp-ground.

SheepStar

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
This could be good only if it causes manufacturers to make more energy compliant devices to stay competitive in that market space. It would be better if it wasn't a ban as much as an incentive for manufacturers to make more energy efficient displays.
Precisely gene. That's what I was going to add.

Most people fail to realize that an energy efficient refrigerator can save them $20-$30 per month, a compact fluorescent bulb can save 75% energy, an energy efficient furnace can save hundreds or thousands of dollars per year, and an energy efficient toilet can save 70% water per flush. None of these items are "outlawed" in the US (with the exception of manufacturing toilets over 1.6gals per)...but guidelines and incentives exist to conserve energy...on a global scale. And that's a good thing!

Highlander

Highlander

Full Audioholic
The Sun is a British tabloid owned by Rupert Murdoch and forms part of his vast media empire that frequently puts an appalling :mad: :mad: :mad: skew on facts. The paper is extremely biased towards the Labour party that currently is in power and it's therefore unsurprising that they have a go at the main opposition, at present the Conservatives.

All news papers are biased to a greater or lesser extent. But to quote The Sun is to quote one of the worse offenders. As such, I'd be wary of believing too much of what you read.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I thought that was odd. US conservatives are in favor of wholesale rape of the environment, while it is liberals who want to protect it.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Well, conservatives here is with a small "c", and over the pond it is with a large "C"...it is a political party. That does not mean they are "conservative" in the sense of the word, let alone in the American context...think globally. ;)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
For that matter, and in that vein, one could argue what right do the conservatives here in the US have to call themselves as such when it is generally the liberals that want to conserve energy? Oh, the irony of it all! :confused:

It's really not confounding if one understands the platform of the party, or, better yet, the man.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I thought that was odd. US conservatives are in favor of wholesale rape of the environment, while it is liberals who want to protect it.
Still got your hate on, Joe? So you hate conservatives, we get it. But the constancy of your snide remarks and unadulterated bashing are getting tiring. Is there a B-side track or stand-by mode to the commentary?

What you write is a reflection of who you are and so far it's unflattering.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
What you write is a reflection of who you are and so far it's unflattering.
Since hating right-wingers is a good thing, I don't find it unflattering in the least.:cool:
(Because of the turn it has been taking, this discussion should really be moved to the Steam Vent.)

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
Since hating right-wingers is a good thing, I don't find it unflattering in the least.:cool:
(Because of the turn it has been taking, this discussion should really be moved to the Steam Vent.)
Quite imature, you sir are the one stearing the discussion in that direction. You're comment has no validity to support it, why make such a comment?

Being your rude tone and lack of suport to your statments you embarass liberal/ left wing proponents. I would be ashamed to have you in my political party.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hey I'm a conservative, I haven't raped anything!:D Lets take this to the steam vent.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
The ideas come from Satan (who apparently works through a Conservative group set up by David Cameron to develop policies to protect the environment.) The article states that the Conservatives will also propose scrapping Gross Domestic Product (GDP) as a measure of the nation’s success in favor of a model that measures people’s happiness drawn up up by Friends of the Earth.
HeHeHeHe

That was a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis